Do you think their is a right way and a wrong way to leave your employers (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Daz

I start a new job in 5 weeks, and believe their is a right way to leave. However a colleague keeps telling me that I should go on the sick for the remainder of my notice. But I dont think this is the right way to do things.

Midfield General

Call me old fashioned, but have you not considered doing the time-honoured gesture of writing a letter of notice to your current employers, informing them of your decision to leave, thanking them for their time etc? I'm assuming you want a decent reference for your new employers?

Can't see what benefit there is to going sick for the next few weeks...

Sky_Blue_Daz

I just have to wait for my CRB To come through, Im gonna do it the right way.

covladzak

Call me old fashioned, but have you not considered doing the time-honoured gesture of writing a letter of notice to your current employers, informing them of your decision to leave, thanking them for their time etc? I'm assuming you want a decent reference for your new employers?

Can't see what benefit there is to going sick for the next few weeks...

I agree, you never want to burn bridges it may come back to haunt you one day.

Nick

Administrator
As an employer Myself I would say do it the best way and work your notice.

If somebody handed their notice in and went on the sick it would leave me in the shit big time, I wouldn't be too happy at all and would do my best not to pay sick pay or make things difficult for you in the future :)

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
As an employer Myself I would say do it the best way and work your notice.

If somebody handed their notice in and went on the sick it would leave me in the shit big time, I wouldn't be too happy at all and would do my best not to pay sick pay or make things difficult for you in the future :)

What work do you employ for?

Also do it the right way, you don't want a bad sickness record and if your new employer found out it doesn't make you look good as you would probably end up doing it to them aswell.

stupot07

It's definitely best to go respectfully and with integrity. You never know when you may have to work with or for the company or other employee's who have moved on to pastures new again. Even if you hate the place - work your notice, smile, say thank you and leave.

Sky_Blue_Daz

I intend to do my best for the next 5 weeks, They are doing a collection after all;)

SkyBlueScottie

We had a guy who on our IT service desk, he blagged himself a a much higher paid job on the basis of a telephone interview, once the news broke he sent an email out to the team saying how working at the company had been awful and he had not learnt one thing, although he liked the people.....

Spectacularly backfired on him as he was found out within a matter of weeks at his new job and then he asked to come back....... :jerkit:

JCR1987

Surely the best way to go is with an uzi 9mm in your right hand, sawn off shotgun in the left, set alight and screaming!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

BackRoomRummermill

Don't do it, infact go the other way round and go balls out in your job, like someone else says you may need to go back one day.

Believe me it is a very small world and you never know who moves jobs also and you could find your self out on a limb.

Nick

Administrator
Don't do it, infact go the other way round and go balls out in your job, like someone else says you may need to go back one day.

Believe me it is a very small world and you never know who moves jobs also and you could find your self out on a limb.

Exactly,

I worked for a company and left a job to go to a new one, 5 months later the old company bought my new one.

If I had been a prick to them I am pretty sure they wouldn't have forgotten!

Richard Smith

i would say always leave on good terms. the reason for this is if things at your new job didnt work out you may be able to return to your old job i have been in this postion and was well worth leaving on good terms

rob9872

Do unto others!

If they've been good to you, do your best and leave on good terms as your colleagues will suffer. However if after handing your notice, they make things difficult, then be a shit back! :)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
ALWAYS leave on a positive! As previously mentioned, things could go tits up and you may need help from your old employers. Why lie? Taking a sickie is painfully obvious to your employers that you can't wait to go. Doesn't look good at all.

Users who are viewing this thread