dropped external hard drive (1 Viewer)

skybluesam1701

I dropped my external hard drive, the computer recognises it but it just clicks. Is there any way i can recover the data that is on it or is it beyond help?

spwaverley4916

if it is knackered mate, which it sounds that way - then there are companies on the net that do recovery of hardisk but it may cost - i suppose it depends how valuable to you the information is on it

I dropped my external hard drive, the computer recognises it but it just clicks. Is there any way i can recover the data that is on it or is it beyond help?

The clicking sound is not a good sign. However, you could try removing the drive from the housing and putting it into your PC as a secondary drive (if its not a laptop) and see if if it works then.

There are data recovery services but be prepared to pay through your nose for it - link

Last edited:
How Much Will It Cost?
Our pricing for hard drive data recovery starts at only £95.

Yep, that sounds fair enough. Its all down to how much the data is worth 'to you'. I'd pay that to recover photos of my son growing up with out blinking.

Boring geek proverb:
If data doesn't exist in 3 places it doesn't exist at all.

dutchman

Everybody is different but my external drive is for backups only. If that's also the case with you then you may as well dump it now and buy a replacement as it will never be safe to make backups on it again.

Delmonte

Actually surprising enough is that PC World seem best (I know!)

I bought one the other week for my dad and they were £30 cheaper than any of the usual PC builders outlets.

Eclipse Computers in Coventry are usually cheap but for externals try PC World up Toll Bar End.

Users who are viewing this thread