England Montenegro (1 Viewer)

SkyBlue_Bear83

Hodgson is useless, his record for qualifying. 3 wins and 3 draws. We've already played San Marino twice and are other win was against Moldova. Draws against Ukraine, Poland an now Montenegro

Macca

It's a constant cycle during my 30 odd years. Scrape through and then get shown up for the ordinary team we are at tournaments. Actually I like watching England cos I have realistic expectations and don't end up in tears every 2 years

scroobiustom

Work in progress I think, there are some very talented players in that squad and need time to come through...

Ashley Young however I would of gone with the Ox, but hind-sight and managing England is easy from sofa

Mood after the game: disappointed

scroobiustom

Out of interest: Megaphones are illegal, object throwing is illegal, flares are illegal - hope retrospective action is taken

Brighton Sky Blue

An encouraging first half but an absent second. Gerrard's delivery from set pieces poor throughout, Johnson horrendous defensively at right back. It was obvious that something needed changing yet Hodgson left it too late and the sub was a little meaningless.

Fortunate to escape with a draw really. I keep saying it-we need our best players to go abroad and widen their footballing horizons.

scroobiustom

I wished they had had that law in the 1970's! :(

Flare (acrobatic move), an acrobatic move employed in b-boying, commonly known as breakdance, and gymnastics - no place for this in football IMO :p

hutch1972

Been thinking for an hour since the game finished, and i have decided that Wellbeck is the laziest fecker since Stan Collymore to play for England .
England were under pressure and most of the time he strolled back to help Cole and even then couldn't be arsed to make a tackle.

skybluelee

Says it all about how little I care about our national side these days that I greeted the full-time whistle with "meh" and hadn't thought about it again prior to seeing this thread.

LastGarrison

Cole and Gerrard were poor. Cleverley went missing for too long and should have been subbed about 15 minutes before he was.

I actually though Welbeck had a decent game and liked the look of Young when he came on.

Fact is England are a slightly above average international side and as Otis says the strength of depth is severely lacking. There is certainly a dearth of quality strikers coming through.

Mucca Mad Boys

We should be playing 4-4-2, playing 1 striker upfront is negative! :facepalm:

Seriously, I don't know why Welbeck was on the wing, nor Milner, none of them are wingers.

I don't know why Hodgson is picking older players, if anything, the average age has gone up since Euro '12, not down! So short-sighted on Hodgson's part. It's frustrating. In fairness to him, it isn't like the Premier League is exactly great for blooding youngsters through. We really missed Wilshere, he's the only CM England have who can actually control the game's tempo, I feel he would've regained control when we lost it.

The fact we "hung on" v Montenegro is very worrying for me.

Otis

Woe is me!

I can't think of 2 worse teams to support than Coventry City and England.

And lo and behold, I support both. :facepalm:

Both fill you with anticipation to only then succeed in letting you down time and time again.

Watching last night was so much like watching the City. Dominating and then in turn being dominated. Winning, then hanging on at the end. Passing the ball about nicely at first, but then resorting to lumping the ball upfield as the game wears on.

SBS

Woe is me!

I can't think of 2 worse teams to support than Coventry City and England.

And lo and behold, I support both. :facepalm:

Both fill you with anticipation to only then succeed in letting you down time and time again.

Watching last night was so much like watching the City. Dominating and then in turn being dominated. Winning, then hanging on at the end. Passing the ball about nicely at first, but then resorting to lumping the ball upfield as the game wears on.

Don't forget conceding from a corner.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Seriously, I don't know why Welbeck was on the wing, nor Milner, none of them are wingers.

I don't know why Hodgson is picking older players, if anything, the average age has gone up since Euro '12, not down! So short-sighted on Hodgson's part. It's frustrating. In fairness to him, it isn't like the Premier League is exactly great for blooding youngsters through. We really missed Wilshere, he's the only CM England have who can actually control the game's tempo, I feel he would've regained control when we lost it.

Milner is just not an international standard player in any position never mind not being a winger.

Welbeck I think is a promising player but agreed not a winger either

You mention age but I still feel Lampard should be in the team, I really hope he stays in the premier league as I think he has been brilliant this season. Not sure what Hodgsons obsession with Cleverly is about

Brighton Sky Blue

Cole and Gerrard were poor. Cleverley went missing for too long and should have been subbed about 15 minutes before he was.

I actually though Welbeck had a decent game and liked the look of Young when he came on.

Fact is England are a slightly above average international side and as Otis says the strength of depth is severely lacking. There is certainly a dearth of quality strikers coming through.

I wouldn't go and say it's a fact that we're slightly above average. We're not going to be contenders for a major tournament any time soon but equally we should be aiming at a 1/4 final slot in such competitions. Say what you like about the FIFA rankings but we have stayed consistently in the top 10-15 more or less since they first started-and our performances in the WC and Euros generally reflect this. International football is no longer what it used to be in terms of quality and prestige anyway.

SBS

Zidane said around 2004 that once Spain start winning, they won't stop. Two Euros and a WC in a row since they started. We're not contenders but aside from Germany, I don't think anyone else is either!

Nick

Administrator
Is Cleverly really playing for England? I don't rate him at all, would much rather have Ashley Young on from the start!

Mucca Mad Boys

Milner is just not an international standard player in any position never mind not being a winger.

Welbeck I think is a promising player but agreed not a winger either

You mention age but I still feel Lampard should be in the team, I really hope he stays in the premier league as I think he has been brilliant this season. Not sure what Hodgsons obsession with Cleverly is about

I agree with everything you've said bar on Lampard.

For too long we've been saying Gerrard and Lampard can't play together, there're past it etc. I would be happy to see them both dropped, good players, but I think it's time we move on.

I'd consider 4-2-3-1 something like this:

Hart
Clyne* Jones Smalling Baines
Rodwell Wilshere
Walcott Rooney Oxlade
Sturridge

It's difficult, maybe Cahill for Sturridge, Rooney upfront, Wilshere behind Rooney Jones and Rodwell in midfield?

*or Walker, just anyone BUT Glen Johnson.

Last edited:

LastGarrison

I wouldn't go and say it's a fact that we're slightly above average. We're not going to be contenders for a major tournament any time soon but equally we should be aiming at a 1/4 final slot in such competitions. Say what you like about the FIFA rankings but we have stayed consistently in the top 10-15 more or less since they first started-and our performances in the WC and Euros generally reflect this. International football is no longer what it used to be in terms of quality and prestige anyway.
Too be fair you are right and I was under selling us, however, we are certainly not a footballing "super power" for want of a better phrase and I cannot see that changing anytime soon.

SkyBlue_Bear83

For too long we've been saying Gerrard and Lampard can't play together, there're past it etc. I would be happy to see them both dropped, good players, but I think it's time we move on.

Hart
Rodwell Wilshere
Walcott Rooney Oxlade
Sturridge

It's difficult, maybe Cahill for Sturridge, Rooney upfront, Wilshere behind Rooney Jones and Rodwell in midfield?

Some decent players for the future there in there but Rodwell, Jones, Smalling an Ox don't even get in there club side regularly
Also don't think Walcott has enough technique to be an international starter although I think he has improved a lot this season, he isn't consistent enough. Good impact player to have off the bench

WillieStanley

Hart
Rodwell Wilshere
Walcott Rooney Oxlade
Sturridge

I'd go for 4-4-2 myself!! :whistle:

stupot07

To be fair, the second half yesterday showed one of the flaws of the lone striker - if you can put some sustained pressure on the opposition, push the two wingers back and make them defend you then completely isolate the lone striker which makes it difficult to get out of your own half. This is the graphic from the bbc, showing average position - 2nd half Rooney was isolated.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364406896.522530.jpg

This has been one of our biggest flaws when playing a lone striker at home, especially when neither winger has any significant pace to get up and support quickly.

Macca

Hart
Rodwell Wilshere
Walcott Rooney Oxlade
Sturridge

Hardly quaking in boots time for the worlds best teams

Brighton Sky Blue

Too be fair you are right and I was under selling us, however, we are certainly not a footballing "super power" for want of a better phrase and I cannot see that changing anytime soon.

We certainly don't have players that fit into the truly world class bracket, that's for sure. I'd say we're on a par with Holland in terms of on pitch quality, but our attitude in games seems to vary enormously-I'd go as far as saying that our players just don't care about playing for England as much as they do their club sides. I keep saying we'll do a lot better in the long run if we send more of our better players to the continent; only Owen Hargreaves and Beckham have really fit into this bracket over the past decade.

Mucca Mad Boys

Hardly quaking in boots time for the worlds best teams

Some of those players will be up there amongst the best for their position; most notably especially Jones, Wilshere and ARGUBLY Walcott at RW, he's doing good ATM. And Rooney obviously is one of the best too.

Our team is weak, we need to overhaul the culture of English football and model ourselves on Germany, Spain and The Netherlands, that is how we'll be competitive.

Last edited:

Mucca Mad Boys

To be fair, the second half yesterday showed one of the flaws of the lone striker - if you can put some sustained pressure on the opposition, push the two wingers back and make them defend you then completely isolate the lone striker which makes it difficult to get out of your own half. This is the graphic from the bbc, showing average position - 2nd half Rooney was isolated.

View attachment 1890

This has been one of our biggest flaws when playing a lone striker at home, especially when neither winger has any significant pace to get up and support quickly.

2 strikers can equally be isolated as well, people seem to think having 2 strikers makes it A) attacking and B) less isolated. I'll give an example for CCFC this season, Shrewesbury, lets forget they won, they relied on counter-attacking football, and they literally had 8 players behind the ball and 2 isolated strikers who couldn't affect the game for large periods of the game. For England, the nearest example I can think of is v Italy, Rooney and Welbeck were totally anonymous.

It's all in midfield, if you dominate midfield, your strikers will get service. Tuesday saw Carrick, Cleverley and Gerrard go missing and as a result we lost our grip on the game.

stupot07

2 strikers can equally be isolated as well, people seem to think having 2 strikers makes it A) attacking and B) less isolated. I'll give an example for CCFC this season, Shrewesbury, lets forget they won, they relied on counter-attacking football, and they literally had 8 players behind the ball and 2 isolated strikers who couldn't affect the game for large periods of the game. For England, the nearest example I can think of is v Italy, Rooney and Welbeck were totally anonymous.

It's all in midfield, if you dominate midfield, your strikers will get service. Tuesday saw Carrick, Cleverley and Gerrard go missing and as a result we lost our grip on the game.

1) you can't forget they won because they did - they did exactly what they set out to do.
2) we've played counter attacking football away from home all season with a 5 man midfield. There's nothing wrong with counter attacking football. That's the reason we've struggled at home - we are expected to dictate play and teams sit back and counter us.

On Tuesday as much as the midfield trio went missing second half you also have to look at the changes Montenegro made - went 2 up top and brought the attacking midfielder in to the hole. This helped hold the ball up, stopped the fullbacks getting forward, stopped the centrebacks giving easy posession to the midfield, took Carrick out of the game, and meant when they attacked they had plenty of men committed forward.

There are pros and cons for 1 striker or 2 striker formations.

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

Some of those players will be up there amongst the best for their position; most notably especially Jones, Wilshere and ARGUBLY Walcott at RW, he's doing good ATM. And Rooney obviously is one of the best too.

Our team is weak, we need to overhaul the culture of English football and model ourselves on Germany, Spain and The Netherlands, that is how we'll be competitive.

Disagree entirely. Spanish players who have come over here and either stayed or gone back end up learning how to incorporate a higher tempo, physical side to their game as well as learning how to handle more physical opposition. The likes of Gerard Pique are absolute tanks and have benefitted hugely from this. If English players went abroad to ply their trade they would also learn the opposite, incorporating tactical and technical intelligence to their game and becoming much more familiar with that kind of opposition on a weekly basis.

Users who are viewing this thread