Eric Bristow RIP (1 Viewer)

CJ_covblaze

Horrible news. Can’t believe he’s gone. Heartbreaking scenes at the Premier League atm.

bringbackrattles

I used to drink in the Jolly Colliers pub in Walsgrave, and in the 90's Eric Bristow stopped off at the pub. The landlord said he played darts on his own and had a few beers, before being driven off by his driver. We never believed the gaffer, but he was backed up by a couple of regulars who were there. Why he was in Walsgrave we never found out ?

fernandopartridge

I used to drink in the Jolly Colliers pub in Walsgrave, and in the 90's Eric Bristow stopped off at the pub. The landlord said he played darts on his own and had a few beers, before being driven off by his driver. We never believed the gaffer, but he was backed up by a couple of regulars who were there. Why he was in Walsgrave we never found out ?
Jolly Colliers to my knowledge is or was one of the only pubs visible from the M6. Can't think of any others off the top of my head.

bringbackrattles

Jolly Colliers to my knowledge is or was one of the only pubs visible from the M6. Can't think of any others off the top of my head.
The Colliers is gone now turned into flats/houses, but the motorway runs along side. He may have been doing a tournament or exhibition in Cov ? Anyway the landlord was well surprised he came in to the pub in the afternoon. My dad was a good darts player won loads of trophies, and he beat Leighton Rees the top Welsh thrower in a pub exhibition in the 70's,and lost narrowly also to John Lowe in another. He said both played seriously, and Rees was a bad loser !

Adge

The Colliers is gone now turned into flats/houses, but the motorway runs along side. He may have been doing a tournament or exhibition in Cov ? Anyway the landlord was well surprised he came in to the pub in the afternoon. My dad was a good darts player won loads of trophies, and he beat Leighton Rees the top Welsh thrower in a pub exhibition in the 70's,and lost narrowly also to John Lowe in another. He said both played seriously, and Rees was a bad loser !
My dad said the same about John Lowe which I was surprised about. My dad used to play darts years ago and played Lowe in the old ball in ball hill at some charity night that was arranged. Said he was saying to people “I’ll beat you all” and was a horrible bleader.

bringbackrattles

My dad said the same about John Lowe which I was surprised about. My dad used to play darts years ago and played Lowe in the old ball in ball hill at some charity night that was arranged. Said he was saying to people “I’ll beat you all” and was a horrible bleader.
My late father said Rees was arrogant and cocky and gave it the big un in the Hawthorn pub in Tile Hill. I have heard that many professional darts players hate losing to "pub players" even though my dad was a county champion.

clint van damme

My late father said Rees was arrogant and cocky and gave it the big un in the Hawthorn pub in Tile Hill. I have heard that many professional darts players hate losing to "pub players" even though my dad was a county champion.

I remember walking in to the Hertford snooker club one night and seeing a big bloke in a proper darts shirt playing darts. I said to my mate, "look at that twat, who does he think he is, Leighton Rees?". And it was him!

Think he lost the first game but once he got his eye in no-one else beat him.
I didn't think he came across as too bad on that occasion.

bringbackrattles

I remember walking in to the Hertford snooker club one night and seeing a big bloke in a proper darts shirt playing darts. I said to my mate, "look at that twat, who does he think he is, Leighton Rees?". And it was him!

Think he lost the first game but once he got his eye in no-one else beat him.
I didn't think he came across as too bad on that occasion.
Probably caught him on an off night ? Bet my dad wound him up at beating him !

CJ_covblaze

Played against Eric at an event organised by a company I was doing some sponsorship with a few years ago. He fired in 11 for the first leg. I hadn't scored 200 after throwing first (I'm rubbish). I beat him in the next one. He had handed me one of his darts, I didn't need to finish on a double and started on 301! Said he'd call it a draw. Met him at quite a few events after that. Lovely bloke.

Sky_Blue_Daz

I seen him once on the shepherd a couple of years ago

He was with his mrs, having a pint watching

Users who are viewing this thread