Evolving team (1 Viewer)

Ooh Ah

Thought yesterday showed more clearly how Robins is trying to evolve the team to be less conservative:

Carrying the ball back to front quicker - Brought in new full-backs and Burge looking to find them quickly. Burge had a go at Stirling first half for not looking to take the ball; second half Sterling great run, cross, goal. Was Davies switch passing another adaptation - played a few excellent balls over the top, out wide.
Secondly looks like one of the central midfield pair looking to go beyond opposition midfield. Still not there, but a few times Bayliss carried but looks like he is not quite comfortable yet with what Robins wants from him at centre midfield. Still unclear how Robins intends to replace Doyle in central midfield. Does Robins intend adapting Ogogo's game to replace Doyle and pair with Bayliss? Kelly to interchange with Bayliss?

Was putting Hiwula on the left another attempt to evolve a more attacking threat, with greater threat from both wings? Or simply Shipley unavailable or knowing he could be more attack minded against Wycombe?

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Thought yesterday showed more clearly how Robins is trying to evolve the team to be less conservative:

Carrying the ball back to front quicker - Brought in new full-backs and Burge looking to find them quickly. Burge had a go at Stirling first half for not looking to take the ball; second half Sterling great run, cross, goal. Was Davies switch passing another adaptation - played a few excellent balls over the top, out wide.
Secondly looks like one of the central midfield pair looking to go beyond opposition midfield. Still not there, but a few times Bayliss carried but looks like he is not quite comfortable yet with what Robins wants from him at centre midfield. Still unclear how Robins intends to replace Doyle in central midfield. Does Robins intend adapting Ogogo's game to replace Doyle and pair with Bayliss? Kelly to interchange with Bayliss?

Was putting Hiwula on the left another attempt to evolve a more attacking threat, with greater threat from both wings? Or simply Shipley unavailable or knowing he could be more attack minded against Wycombe?
In a word, YES.

NortonSkyBlue

When we got beat by Scunthorpe I saw enough to know we were not a bad side, some poorer performances indicated that work had to be done on the training ground and we are bearing the fruits of that work now.
Despite this positive view I wasn't too downbeat about the first game nor am I overboard on our recent results because we are work in progress.
Everybody was upbeat about Andreu on day one, today he is towards the back of the queue for love and if Chaplin hadn't scored the winner on Saturday.....well you know where this is going.
Burge and the central defence have been very good and we are still finding out our best full back pairing( though I suggest all four will be utilized)
It has been a choppy, unsettled start, both because of injuries and bedding in players, and I believe we are starting to forge a team out the 20 or so players we have. For that alone Robins should be applauded but it is a sad fact that if we lose the next two games then the shit will again hit the fan.
The thread is entitled evolving team, I would like us to let the evolution take its course and not just see it through the results on match day.

covcity4life

agree we looked more attacking and less hoof, guess the question is why has it taken so long to play like this? i dont buy that the players need 12 games to get to grips with being attacking.

hill83

When we got beat by Scunthorpe I saw enough to know we were not a bad side, some poorer performances indicated that work had to be done on the training ground and we are bearing the fruits of that work now.
Despite this positive view I wasn't too downbeat about the first game nor am I overboard on our recent results because we are work in progress.
Everybody was upbeat about Andreu on day one, today he is towards the back of the queue for love and if Chaplin hadn't scored the winner on Saturday.....well you know where this is going.
Burge and the central defence have been very good and we are still finding out our best full back pairing( though I suggest all four will be utilized)
It has been a choppy, unsettled start, both because of injuries and bedding in players, and I believe we are starting to forge a team out the 20 or so players we have. For that alone Robins should be applauded but it is a sad fact that if we lose the next two games then the shit will again hit the fan.
The thread is entitled evolving team, I would like us to let the evolution take its course and not just see it through the results on match day.

Bit smug but you are not wrong.

WhaleOilBeefHooked

agree we looked more attacking and less hoof, guess the question is why has it taken so long to play like this? i dont buy that the players need 12 games to get to grips with being attacking.

There's still a big misunderstanding or lack of communication between the mid and the strikers though. So many times this season I've seen balls played into the box or into the corner, but with no forward running on to it, and not anticipating it. I think performance does, on some occasions, take longer to develop as you play week-in, week-out with each other.

In fact, going further, I am slightly concerned with the lack of movement off the ball from the strikers sometimes, in particular JCH.

skybluegod

agree we looked more attacking and less hoof, guess the question is why has it taken so long to play like this? i don't buy that the players need 12 games to get to grips with being attacking.

Didn't AV explain this in that interview he did? About how players at this level take a lot longer to take onboard instructions and develop the stly of play wanted, compared to premier league players/ players with a lot of ability.

You can see the difference in say Sterling and lets say Shipley- Two young players- Sterling has come on leaps and bounds since the first game of this season, whereas we have seen a slower progression from Shipley.

Robins has always said that the players needed to stop hoofing, and to play a bit more, and that he wanted to play an attractive brand, and maybe they are only just starting to have the confidence to play in this way?

I don't think we will get promotion this year, but would bet on us for next year.

larry_david

I also think fitness is a huge part. First game we had to sub Willis off on about 78 because he was knackered due to no pre season. If you look at agogo he hit the ground running first game after a long lay off and it's almost like that set him back a months work and he's only now getting 90 mins in (admittly not for league games).

Add in brown (could argue he's still not 100%)
Kelly
Bayliss/sterling (eng duty in pre season)
Davies with his suspension then glandular fever scare

We've been unlucky but I feel like now our fitness is where it should be and the fact we've scored winning goals in the last 10 mins twice in a row now probably indicates that

Mucca Mad Boys

We were always going to be a ‘work in-progress’. We have a really young team football who are finding their feet still.

I’m happy with the state of the team. We look like we’re in good stead for the future.

covcity4life

Didn't AV explain this in that interview he did? About how players at this level take a lot longer to take onboard instructions and develop the stly of play wanted, compared to premier league players/ players with a lot of ability.

You can see the difference in say Sterling and lets say Shipley- Two young players- Sterling has come on leaps and bounds since the first game of this season, whereas we have seen a slower progression from Shipley.

Robins has always said that the players needed to stop hoofing, and to play a bit more, and that he wanted to play an attractive brand, and maybe they are only just starting to have the confidence to play in this way?

I don't think we will get promotion this year, but would bet on us for next year.
However Mowbray got us playing great attacking football from day 1. I guess squad was better but still not sure it should take 12 games

skybluegod

However Mowbray got us playing great attacking football from day 1. I guess squad was better but still not sure it should take 12 games

He has us playing attacking football when he has Murphy Kent fleck and Armstrong...all very decent players. All with a lot of potential, and like I said easier to train.

His second season we didn’t play great attacking football? Explain that? He had 10 games then. Didn’t play well.

tisza

All seems to be a work in progress.
Very decent squad now. Plenty of depth with a lot of young players.
Would be good if the starting XI was a bit more obvious as would be a sign of greater strength but all building nicely
Find a few more goals and playoffs still a real possibility.

covcity4life

Robins' overall win percentage with us is not far off 50%, much superior compared to TM's.
And? Give me league 1 promotion over win percentage. That's what we all want from robin's isn't it? To get us back to championship where Blackburn are now

P.s apostrophe back

Ooh Ah

Seems a general sense of progress, but like Colin SS, think Robins only played Hiwula because it was Wycombe.
Not sure Robins will pick two players attacking from out wide too often with a Doyle and Bayliss central midfield. Think how Robins further evolves the midfield is key for our season. Assume Ogogo will become a regular in central midfield at some point this season, but yet to earn a place.

covcity4life

Seems a general sense of progress, but like Colin SS, think Robins only played Hiwula because it was Wycombe.
Not sure Robins will pick two players attacking from out wide too often with a Doyle and Bayliss central midfield. Think how Robins further evolves the midfield is key for our season. Assume Ogogo will become a regular in central midfield at some point this season, but yet to earn a place.
Didn't we play 2 attacking vs Charlton?

Magwitch

I think defensively and attacking wise, I put Jones in that catagory, we are good, potentially very good but our midfield needs to be better. Individually Kelly, Doyle, Andreu, Shippley, Bayliss are okay and then there’s Ogogo and the yet untried Westbrooke but as yet I don’t see a pairing in the middle that dominates enough for me, I look at those names and think the answer is there if we get that right I have no doubt we can challenge right at the top of this division.

Sick Boy

And? Give me league 1 promotion over win percentage. That's what we all want from robin's isn't it? To get us back to championship where Blackburn are now

P.s apostrophe back

If Robins had the same budget as Mowbray he'd do it, we are hardly on a level playing field with them.

itsabuzzard

P.s apostrophe back
When you're next ordering your apostrophes on Amazon, get some capital letters as well.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

skybluegod

I think the hardest thing is our midfield would be suited best to a midfield three IMO, but the strikers are suited to playing in a front two two.... Particularly Chaplin, who needs a bigger striker to play off ( at least from what we have seen, and heard)... I'm not sure we have anyone who can play up top as a lone striker, so inevitably we have an unbalanced midfield.

Doyle/Kelly/Ogogo/Bayliss/ Andreu fighting over two positions... but none seemingly jump out as a first choice pair. Doyle is the only player suited to sitting in front of back 4. So hence he starts every game. Bayliss seems undropable too... But I wouldn't necessarily say that pair works well together.

steve82

I think the hardest thing is our midfield would be suited best to a midfield three IMO, but the strikers are suited to playing in a front two two.... Particularly Chaplin, who needs a bigger striker to play off ( at least from what we have seen, and heard)... I'm not sure we have anyone who can play up top as a lone striker, so inevitably we have an unbalanced midfield.

Doyle/Kelly/Ogogo/Bayliss/ Andreu fighting over two positions... but none seemingly jump out as a first choice pair. Doyle is the only player suited to sitting in front of back 4. So hence he starts every game. Bayliss seems undropable too... But I wouldn't necessarily say that pair works well together.

Some good points, personally I’d like to try Andreu and Doyle together as Bayliss needs dropping. I really think that could work in home games in a 442, only draw back is it’s not a pair blessed with pace so you’d need that in your wide players with Thomas and JJ when fit and available. A big issue currently is finding a fully fit central midfielder who’s up to speed to give MR a selection headache, obviously MR had hoped Ogogo would of made a greater impact by now and more patience is required there.

Here’s a question hypothetically... for everyone too...

It’s January you can dip into the market to fix the midfield as Kelly, Ogogo still not fully fit, what would you do, stick with your lot or sign a player, is so who?

I know I’d go straight in for a summer target of mine, Hiram Boatang of Exeter. He’d cost but he’s exactly what we miss in the middle of the park and could fix a few aspects

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

skybluegod

Some good points, personally I’d like to try Andreu and Doyle together as Bayliss needs dropping. I really think that could work in home games in a 442, only draw back is it’s not a pair blessed with pace so you’d need that in your wide players with Thomas and JJ when fit and available. A big issue currently is finding a fully fit central midfielder who’s up to speed to give MR a selection headache, obviously MR had hoped Ogogo would of made a greater impact by now and more patience is required there.

Here’s a question hypothetically... for everyone too...

It’s January you can dip into the market to fix the midfield as Kelly, Ogogo still not fully fit, what would you do, stick with your lot or sign a player, is so who?

I know I’d go straight in for a summer target of mine, Hiram Boatang of Exeter. He’d cost but he’s exactly what we miss in the middle of the park and could fix a few aspects

Yeah I would like to see Doyle and Andreu too, I think Bayliss on the whole hasn't been deserving of his place. Andreu played so well at CM against Shrewsbury last season in the JPT, so would like to try it again.

I agree Boatang would be a great signing especially at 22 years of age, however my problem is who do you move on? Kelly on a three year deal? Ogogo not given a chance yet, Doyle- Never going to happen, Bayliss, the star for the future? Andreu is the only option to move on maybe? Don't think we can justify having 6 midfielders on the books, especially with Westbrooke, and Maycock waiting?

Magwitch

Question: could Hyam play in front of the back four, he’s mobile, got a bit of pace, can pass and a big unit sometimes an answer is under you nose

steve82

Yeah I would like to see Doyle and Andreu too, I think Bayliss on the whole hasn't been deserving of his place. Andreu played so well at CM against Shrewsbury last season in the JPT, so would like to try it again.

I agree Boatang would be a great signing especially at 22 years of age, however my problem is who do you move on? Kelly on a three year deal? Ogogo not given a chance yet, Doyle- Never going to happen, Bayliss, the star for the future? Andreu is the only option to move on maybe? Don't think we can justify having 6 midfielders on the books, especially with Westbrooke, and Maycock waiting?

I think Bayliss is a victim of playing a lot of football over the last 10/11 months with no real summer break either. I think a break will rejuvenate him as a player who will naturally come back fresher and sharper.

I think that’s the current issue is getting a player between Kelly, Ogogo and Andreu who can play with or instead of Doyle the only fully fit central midfielder who’s experienced in the ranks, for that reason alone Doyle’s a starter. Putting Andreu in the side also addresses and enhances our set piece credentials while also retains a forward thinking creative mind and could fix a stuttering midfield now.

Boateng looking forward fits the current model of getting young players in with a bright future who will be a real asset to the club, plus he’s a player who can impact the side immediately.

You rightly point out tho the populated area of the squad that’s already got names next to wages in the senior side, but Bayliss is versatile to a degree so can play the right midfield role as Thomas loan will likely end and JJ returns to the 18 and features weekly going forward. It’s debatable if you get the best out of him there but we’re not getting that anyway this season as the better quality of opposition snuff him out with ease this year. He is the future tho and one to develop further for sure and will come back in better for a break.

Your right Andreu is the most disposable out the lot as Kelly is on a longer term deal and Ogogo is months into a deal also.

However the issue is there now and maybe still come January, football is a results business and MR could be gambling on his own future further down the line if he wasn’t to address issues.

Obviously the pots not huge if any by any means to go into the marker, hence the hypothetical question.

Users who are viewing this thread