Favourite Sports (1 Viewer)

Bit of recent banter on SBT about opinions of favourite/detested sports - so what are your sporting choices for 3 of each category - mine listed below:

Favourites:
1) FOOTBALL
* Pros: high speed visually exciting using majority of playing area - simple rules - can be played anywhere at any level with improvisation - worldwide recognition
* Cons: too much money creating uneven playing field - prima dona players on unsustainable/unrealistic salaries - spoilt by players histrionics via diving/shirt pulling/wrestling etc

2) BOXING
* Pros: the noble sport requiring utter dedication and fitness from boxers willing to suffer serious injury in the cause - visually exciting with surprise outcomes against the odds
*Cons: tendency for some refs allowing contest to continue despite need for earlier intervention when necessary

3) ATHLETICS (pre drugs era)
*Pros: used to belong to Coventry Godiva Harriers myself as a county standard miler and have retained a strong interest since then - visually exciting with head to head competition on track and field
*Cons: only one word DRUGS

Detested:
1) American "Football"
*Pros: can only think of one - it keeps people off the streets for 3 hours
*Cons: where do I start- why "football" when no one kicks it - why "touchdown" when it clearly isn't - why "World Series" - why only 10 seconds of play when the ball disappears - why no passing to team mates - the list is endless

2) Squash
Pros: makes a good cardiovascular workout
Cons: what constitutes a good hit - smacking the ball all over the court
is confusing and dangerous to ones facial protuberances

3) Basketball
Pros: good advert for size 18 footware
Cons: with scores of 122 -131 need for a good memory and accurate scoreboard - end to end play taken to extreme

Terry Gibson's perm

Favourites

Football
Cricket
NFL

Detest

Rugby - Would rather watch paint dry, hated it before the insects arrived and hate it even more now,always played at my school by the people who couldn't get in the football team

Motor sports - A waste of the earths resources

Basketball - A game made for American's who have little patience and need to keep seeing scores

usskyblue

Not understanding a sport has an influence on lists like this. For you it's obviously American Football.

Also, there are sports people love to play, but have no interest in watching.

Terry Gibson's perm

Not understanding a sport has an influence on lists like this. For you it's obviously American Football.

Also, there are sports people love to play, but have no interest in watching.

I can watch golf but have no interest in ever playing so I guess it can work the other way.

oakey

Anything with a ball / good, except all the US games. :whistle:
Anything without a ball / bad, especially any sort of race. I used to watch these but had a lightbulb moment one day when I realised races are great if you are in them and not if you're not. :claping hands:

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Favourites

Football
Cricket
NFL

Detest

Rugby - Would rather watch paint dry, hated it before the insects arrived and hate it even more now,always played at my school by the people who couldn't get in the football team

Motor sports - A waste of the earths resources

Basketball - A game made for American's who have little patience and need to keep seeing scores

Favourites
Football played at school by the lads who could only understand a few simple rules.
Rugby played at school by lads who could understand semi complex rules.

Detest
Cricket has rules so complicated they're named after people play for days and can still draw
NFL rules made up by referees in the 8 hours it takes to get 60 minutes of action

BrisbaneBronco

1. Rugby League (Brisbane Broncos)
2. Soccer (Sky Blues/Brisbane Roar)
3. 20/20 cricket (England/Brisbane Heat)
4. V8 Super cars

Hate, all things American

rob9872

I like nfl, but hate baseball basketball and hockey from the USA sports. Most ball games boxing, horse racing golf etc all ok, dislike all motor sports excl speedway. Olympics I like mens track events and not much else.

Astute

1, Boxing. A great sport where the underdog can be heavily losing all the way but still win.

2, Football. Quite obvious to all of us.

3, Cricket. A good day out with the lads when the sun is shining and a beer in your hand. More fun than sitting in a pub garden.

4, Womens beach volleyball. You don't need to know the rules to enjoy it :D

Greggs

Love:
Boxing
Football
Cricket

Hate:
Hockey
Ice Hockey
Tennis

Greggs

1, Boxing. A great sport where the underdog can be heavily losing all the way but still win.

3, Cricket. A good day out with the lads when the sun is shining and a beer in your hand. More fun than sitting in a pub garden.

Ready for Quigg Frampton next weekend?

Terry Gibson's perm

Have you ever seen a full match of beach volleyball astute or does a few minutes normally do ;)

CJ_covblaze

1. Football
2. Futsal
3. Motorsport
4. Ice Hockey
5. Cricket (the proper kind, not where they wear pyjamas)
Also fond of Darts, Cycling and Rugby. Don't really dislike any sport. Could watch anything. Probably paid to watch most sports and I can't think of any I didn't enjoy. Is that weird?

Otis

Love:

In this order ..

1. AMERICAN FOOTBALL

The best sport on the planet as far as I am concerned. Entertaining and incredibly exciting for the most part and there are so many options and trick plays available. I like that unlike rugby you have all the options of passing it sideways, backwards, forwards, kicking it or running with it.

A very, very tactical game with so much thought involved and I love the fact that so many games go down to the wire.

2. FOOTBALL

It's what I grew up on and what my father watched too. If there was no Coventry City though I think I would probably give up.

We are too dinosaur like in our thinking and there is still so much wrong in the game. I hate the diving, time wasting, shirt pulling, feigning injury, taking the ball to the corner flags, the deliberate body checking and the 'taking one for the team,' the cynicism and the fact that so many matches are so dull and boring.

I get really frustrated with the chess match European games too.

Only really watch City and England and that's it and the main reason for that is out of loyalty and they both being my home teams.

I hate more about the game than I love, but Coventry City is in my blood and like a part of me and I will always be City til I die.

3rd one is tougher. I like the Six Nations and England rugby games, but can't really get into anything else and the negatives of rugby ..... well I don't think I've got time to list them all.

I find Rugby League far too predictable, but will watch the odd England match. Rugby Union is far and away superior to Rugby League in my opinion.

I will watch Wimbledon, but don't care too much for tennis. I will watch the Open and the Ryder cup, but otherwise can't watch golf.

I guess it would be cricket, but then at the same time cricket can be the most boring sport known to mankind. Sometimes it can be the very definition of hours and hours of action and nothing happening.

I like cricket, but it can be so infuriatingly dull and depressing. Love the Ashes and always watch England play, can watch one day internationals and T20's, but have never ever considered going to physically watch a game.

So, I guess ..

3.CRICKET

Hate?

1. SNOOKER

2. SHOW JUMPING

And most of all

3. MOTOR RACING

Just find it so boring. Really hate it so much.

Also dislike figure skating, skiing, speedway (round and round and round and round) and swimming.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Love
1. Cricket
2. Football
3. Rugby Union

I only put football ahead of Rugby because of my love of Coventry City Football Club.

Would rather watch international rugby or European competition rugby over international football or European competition football.

Hate.
1. All motorsports
2.Basketball
3. Darts (still struggle to accept its a sport)

Last edited:

Astute

Ready for Quigg Frampton next weekend?

I think Frampton will win on points. The problem with a super hyped up fight where they both respect each other is it can end up a boring fight. But if one of them goes for it then it will be explosive and might not last many rounds.

I think Quigg is the better puncher but Frampton the better boxing brain. But they haven't really been tested before. I can see there being a rematch whoever wins.

CJ_covblaze

skyblue1991

Like:
Football by a country mile!
Rugby Union and Tennis miles behind but watchable.

Dislike:
Golf
F1
American Football

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

stupot07

Favourites

1) football - the best game on the planet to play and watch
2) cricket - test cricket in particular.
3) Cycling
4) American football
5) NBA Basketball
6) golf

I also enjoy Wimbledon, but watch little other tennis, and also watch Olympics but little other athletics.

Hate

1) Formula 1 or any other Motorsport - I used to enjoy it back in the Damon Hill days but now it's all about the car and how many fuel stops you make.
2) snooker - the dullest game to watch in the world
3) rugby union - the insects have completely ruined any enjoyment I had for watching the sport
4) women's tennis - 20 shot rallies area bore fest
5) swimming.....

and 6) Baseball. How could I forget. Tried to watch it on BT Sports and didn't have the foggiest of what was going on or what the scoring means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

CJ_covblaze

chiefdave

Like:
Football - wouldn't be on here otherwise!
Ice Hockey - lived in Canada for a year and picked up a love of the sport then.
Cricket - although less these days as I don't have Sky and they seem to have the monopoly on it..

Dislike:
Rugby - have never liked it and like it even less now Wasps have turned up.
Motorsport - and in particular F1. Just don't see the attraction at all.
Cycling - just find it incredibly boring and they all seem to be doped up to the eyeballs.

lifeskyblue

1) Football. Although increasingly just CCFC. Tend not to watch premier league or internationals these days.
2) cricket. But don't have sky so can't watch too much
3) speedway. Used to travel with the bees.

Dislike
1) F1...or formula pit stop as it should be renamed
2) basketball...more energy in the high fives and body slapping than the game itself
3) athletics...used to love it but now I realise it's watching a procession of drug cheats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCFC88

I think Frampton will win on points. The problem with a super hyped up fight where they both respect each other is it can end up a boring fight. But if one of them goes for it then it will be explosive and might not last many rounds.

I think Quigg is the better puncher but Frampton the better boxing brain. But they haven't really been tested before. I can see there being a rematch whoever wins.

Frampton was certainly tested in his last fight by a fighter he should have seen off easily, I think he was complacent and under prepared for that fight and was caught out. If he starts like that on Saturday though it will be over before the 2nd.

Quigg 4/5 for me, I think Frampton will be nervous, will be interresting to see if the hoards of NI fans his team has talked about will be filling the arena.

ajsccfc

why "football" when no one kicks it

It's because it's played on foot and evolved from the original football code like rugby, Aussie Rules and other games where hands are used.

Football
American football
Basketball
Snooker*
Darts*
Absolutely anything occurring as part of both versions of the Olympics

* - just certain events like Wimbledon and the World Championships at New Year where everyone's hammered

Dislike
Rugby
Cricket
Baseball
Boxing
Cycling
Horse Racing (bar Grand National)

Last edited:

ajsccfc

Added that in, football itself isn't named literally in much the same way. Or is, nobody seems to really know exactly going by here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_(word)#Etymology

Although the accepted etymology of the word football, or "foot ball", originated in reference to the action of a foot kicking a ball, this may be a false etymology. An alternative explanation has it that the word originally referred to a variety of games in medieval Europe, which were played on foot.[SUP][/SUP] These sports were usually played by peasants, as opposed to the horse-riding sports more often enjoyed by aristocrats. In some cases, the word has been applied to games which involved carrying a ball and specifically banned kicking. For example, the English writer William Hone, writing in 1825 or 1826, quotes the social commentator Sir Frederick Morton Eden, regarding a game — which Hone refers to as "Foot-Ball" — played in the parish of Scone, Perthshire:

Last edited:

Covstu

For me:

1) Football - of course, love watching and playing. The ultimate sport for entertaining
2) Cricket - Game of strategy and skills (also a great Piss up on live games!)
3) Cycling - Love participating and watching. Take the drugs element out, these guys are machines
4) Golf - Love playing, not so much watching apart from the majors

Hate - not sure I hate any but dislike...
1) Rugby - don't get it, too slow and hate the 'we are better than football rubbish'
2) F1 - team with the best car wins, what's the point!

Gazolba

Favourite to play:
Badminton (but I retired long ago)

Favourite to watch:
Men's football
Women's football (very close second)
Women's beach volleyball
Women's field hockey
Tour de France

Favourite to follow text commentary:
Cricket (especially if Geoff Boycott is commenting)

Least favourite to play:
Rugby (it's a sport for bullies and the shape of the ball is stupid)

Least favourite to watch:
Any American sport (all about equal, although I have been known to watch Olympic ice-hockey)

Terry Gibson's perm

Favourite to play:
Badminton (but I retired long ago)

Favourite to watch:
Men's football
Women's football (very close second)
Women's beach volleyball
Women's field hockey
Tour de France

Favourite to follow text commentary:
Cricket (especially if Geoff Boycott is commenting)

Least favourite to play:
Rugby (it's a sport for bullies and the shape of the ball is stupid)

Least favourite to watch:
Any American sport (all about equal, although I have been known to watch Olympic ice-hockey)

Sir Geoffrey is the finest co-commentator on either tvor radio

Users who are viewing this thread