Feeding Families For Less (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
have seen a couple of articles today

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/feed-family-less-25-week-7739712
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ing-like-ninja-reduced-shelf-supermarket.html

Basically people who go to various shops daily to get the reduced stuff at certain times and manage to feed a family of 6 (and friends and family, why do they feed friends and family if they are saving money???)

Does anybody actually do this all of the time week in week out? How do people have time to go to shops every day?

I saw a group of people in Tescos the other day and wondered what it was all about, then some poor young lad came out with some loaves of bread and they were pushing and shoving each other. Had never seen anything like it, I am all for bargains and reduced stuff but they had no issues with having a scrap for saving 50p on a loaf of bread! They weren't even looking at what it was, just filling their trollies.

I don't usually go at tea time so it must be when the offers come out.

Grendel

Yeah I've seen that it's a joke. Then again I was asked to shop the other day and I never look at prices. I bought some Beef Wellingtons "they look nice" and they were apparently £13 when my wife inspected the bill. I'm at the bread queue next time.

Nick

Administrator
Yeah I've seen that it's a joke. Then again I was asked to shop the other day and I never look at prices. I bought some Beef Wellingtons "they look nice" and they were apparently £13 when my wife inspected the bill. I'm at the bread queue next time.

I'm no billy big balls when shopping, won't always just go off brand names and not silly or OTT.

It wasn't people who would maybe be sterotyped into having a scrap over the bargains either. It wasn't druggies with bottles of cider, there were people in suits just finished work etc. Felt sorry for the poor lad, was like at the zoo.

Who has time to go around various shops for the bargains, then cook all the meals, then freeze them all?

chiefdave

They've built a massive new Tescos right by me (in what was the car park for Fratton Park). Its always empty as there's too many supermarkets in a small area. Means there's always loads of reduced stuff, quite often pop in when I'm passing. As its so quiet you can be in and out in minutes.

Wouldn't rely on it or do it everyday though.

Terry Gibson's perm

Well done Grendel that kind of purchase gets you out of the shopping next time.

Covstu

I suppose it all adds up when you are living on the line. Personally have no time to go shopping about for bargains unless its something more substantial (and not food related!). Click and collect from ASDA!

Nick

Administrator
I suppose it all adds up when you are living on the line. Personally have no time to go shopping about for bargains unless its something more substantial (and not food related!). Click and collect from ASDA!

What I don't get is by the time you have spent your evening driving between ASDA, Tesco, Morrisons to get these offers it costs more in fuel!

robbieray

I don't get the food banks, I drove past a queue the other day and people were holding about 5bags and then open a can of ale and smoking their heads of...unless the beer and fags were from the food bank

ajsccfc

I saw a group of people in Tescos the other day and wondered what it was all about, then some poor young lad came out with some loaves of bread and they were pushing and shoving each other. Had never seen anything like it, I am all for bargains and reduced stuff but they had no issues with having a scrap for saving 50p on a loaf of bread! They weren't even looking at what it was, just filling their trollies.

I worked in the Walsgrave Tesco years ago and had the luxury* of responsibility for reducing the fresh food and it was a bit like that. I worked three evenings and I'd see the exact same half-dozen people casually wandering round with a basket waiting for the man with the gun to pop up, I assume they were there all the other nights too. Occasionally you'd get a bit of a scrum but nothing more than two people lightly shouldering each other, nothing too mad outside the odd argument and 'I saw it first' nonsense. They'd pick up stuff just because it was so cheap too, no particular pattern to it.

* I could mark down a bag of 10 doughnuts to 10p and hide them out back before the public had a sniff. No idea how I haven't got diabetes

Nick

Administrator
I worked in the Walsgrave Tesco years ago and had the luxury* of responsibility for reducing the fresh food and it was a bit like that. I worked three evenings and I'd see the exact same half-dozen people casually wandering round with a basket waiting for the man with the gun to pop up, I assume they were there all the other nights too. Occasionally you'd get a bit of a scrum but nothing more than two people lightly shouldering each other, nothing too mad outside the odd argument and 'I saw it first' nonsense. They'd pick up stuff just because it was so cheap too, no particular pattern to it.

* I could mark down a bag of 10 doughnuts to 10p and hide them out back before the public had a sniff. No idea how I haven't got diabetes

That's where I saw them! There was loads, probably about 25 - 30.

Grendel

That's where I saw them! There was loads, probably about 25 - 30.

It's nothing to do with being poor though it's just that some people love a "bargain". After Christmas m and s reduced some turkeys to £6 from £12 and people were buying 5 or 6 of them. They'll sit in the freezer for ever.

In my local shop the other day a couple collected some items that had the same sell by date (I e that day) and went to the shop assistant asking for a reduction.

Nick

Administrator
It's nothing to do with being poor though it's just that some people love a "bargain". After Christmas m and s reduced some turkeys to £6 from £12 and people were buying 5 or 6 of them. They'll sit in the freezer for ever.

In my local shop the other day a couple collected some items that had the same sell by date (I e that day) and went to the shop assistant asking for a reduction.

Yeah, there were people in work suits etc. Was crazy.

My dogs are more composed when they see their food.

Grendel

Yeah, there were people in work suits etc. Was crazy.

My dogs are more composed when they see their food.

I've seen it in waitrose. Load of upper class pensioners scrapping over some reduced mince. Lol.

Grendel

It's in a persons psyche - you are mean or not. At Uni there was this public school guy who was so tight it was ridiculous.

One day he wanted a tin of beans and a tin of pineapple - new exactly the cost and asked if I could get it in the shop as I was going there.

So I said yes and took his money.

Got back and said I had got them half price and produced 2 bashed tins. He was so excited you couldn't believe it.

He wasn't so excited when he asked for his change and I told him I was taking the piss and had caused the dents myself.

Users who are viewing this thread