Female Rock Singers (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

On Planet Rock today they're raging about the story of a bar/pub in Middlesbrough who have banned all female singers and girl bands.
Someone complained they didn't like the sound of female singers etc, and the gaffer agreed, so he has brought the ban in. The music station thought it was a joke and a wind up,but no it is a true story. I've been listening just lately to Bonnie Raitt, Blondie, Janis Joplin, and Heart, and will play the Pretenders later on. Never gave it a second thought to be honest, but this pub reckons the female voice doesn't suit Rock.
What a load of crap in my opinion. Does anybody agree with the boozer though ?

richnrg

Are you sure the ban didn't just say "No Dogs", to which most of the Middlesbrough gilrs took offence.

chiefdave

Does anybody agree with the boozer though ?
Worked with an all girl rock band once. A certain Radio 1 DJ refused to play them as he didn't believe it was them playing 'girls can't play like that' was the quote that came back to us, and an up and coming band, who are now pretty big, pulled out of a gig supporting them as 'we don't support girls'.

lifeskyblue

Unbelievable. Step up Margot Timmons (cowboy junkies...more folk rock I suppose) and Grace Slick (Jefferson Airplane). Alongside rattles’ Raitt and Joplin great voices for rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bringbackrattles

Unbelievable. Step up Margot Timmons (cowboy junkies...more folk rock I suppose) and Grace Slick (Jefferson Airplane). Alongside rattles’ Raitt and Joplin great voices for rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My ex missus was a big fan of Tina Turner so I treated her to her concert at the NEC some years back. I wasn't that bothered as I thought she'd be a bit pop and soul.By the end of the night I was proved wrong as she had a great rock voice,and gave a great performance !

Paul Anthony

I read about this the other day. To borrow a phrase from one of my old uni lectuters "a loaf of tosh".

A lot of bands I'm in to are female fronted. For example, a band called Delain. They're from Holland and their live show is immense. The last time they played Birmingham the place was so packed we were struggling to find a place to get in.

I know some female fronted music can be an acquired taste, but come on. This is insanity. It's hard enough when so many venues are closing down.

Gazolba

On Planet Rock today they're raging about the story of a bar/pub in Middlesbrough who have banned all female singers and girl bands.
Someone complained they didn't like the sound of female singers etc, and the gaffer agreed, so he has brought the ban in. The music station thought it was a joke and a wind up,but no it is a true story. I've been listening just lately to Bonnie Raitt, Blondie, Janis Joplin, and Heart, and will play the Pretenders later on. Never gave it a second thought to be honest, but this pub reckons the female voice doesn't suit Rock.
What a load of crap in my opinion. Does anybody agree with the boozer though ?
Here's a few good female rockers:

Last edited:

bringbackrattles

. I've never ever thought or said while watching/listening to a band with a female singer that it was poor,or ruined a song. In fact Rock music seems suited to a woman's voice for some reason. I saw Blondie a few years ago when she called herself Deborah Harry in Brum, she fronted her new all male band. What a night that was as she was banging out pure Rock stuff, and the place was going mad. So the woman of the pub up North must have her own reasons for this weird ban ?

ajsccfc

I've heard stupid people say that women can't be funny, but them not being able to sing rock is a new one considering the immense success of some of the women cited already. Some people are fucking idiots.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Not everyones cup of tea, but Courtney Love has a voice made for Rock and Roll.

Special mentions for Kate Pierson and Cindy Wilson of the B-52's too.

Gave you a "like" for the Courtney Love shout......took it away again for the B52's......:stop:

Users who are viewing this thread