Fifa ponders winter World Cup (1 Viewer)

Coventry La La La

Sepp-Blatter-2018-Bid-Result_2536808.jpg
Fifa president Sepp Blatter has given his backing to the idea of hosting the 2022 World Cup in January or February.
Qatar won the right to host the World Cup at the vote in Zurichmearlier this month but there are concerns about whether a traditional June and July tournament would be viable.
The climate in the desert state is so extreme that it is likely to be a scorching 50 degrees Celsius at this time of year and Fifa is considering a switch.
"I definitely support to play in winter here (in the Middle East)," Blatter told a news conference at the Club World Cup in Abu Dhabi.
"To play when the climate is appropriate and I'm thinking about the footballers, not only the fans but the players."

Solution

General secretary Jerome Valcke also believes a move to January or February could work, although he admits there would have to be an overhaul of the whole football schedule for that year.
"Why not? It means you open the World Cup to countries where they can never play it in June and July because it's never the right period of time," he explained.
"If you can do so, it would be a solution to open the organisation of the World Cup to a number of countries in this period which is winter in Europe but not winter in the rest of the world.
"You can't just make a decision to move the tournament and that is it.
"It means you have to change completely when the leagues will play, mainly I would say in Europe."

Blatter apology

Meanwhile, Blatter has issued an apology for his controversial remarks earlier this week, when he said gay supporters should 'refrain from any sexual activities' while in Qatar because of the Gulf nation's strict laws against homosexuality.
He is sorry to have caused offence, saying: "It was not my intention and never will be my intention to go into any discrimination.
"This is exactly what we are against. If somebody feels that they have been hurt, then I regret (it) and present apologies."
pencil.png

Users who are viewing this thread