Financial Fair Play rules (1 Viewer)

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
There have been discussions on here about what the exact rules are, what counts in the calculation etc. So I though I would try to find out from the FL. One particular thing I wanted to clear up was can existing loans be converted in to equity/donations and count in the calculation.

After some to-ing and fro-ing, and the FL asking why I wanted to know, I got this reply

"The League has put together an FAQ document which can be found via the following link - http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/FLExplainedDetail/0,,10794~2748246,00.html and our regulations here - http://www.football-league.co.uk/regulations/20130704/section-4-clubs_2293633_2125725#18 – stating that each division can introduce its own divisional rules. This document was put together to help answer questions fans may have in relation to FFP and SCMP.

The Divisional rules and guidance notes in relation to FFP are not publicly available and therefore I am unable to comment further in relation to specific detail. All clubs do have access to the rules if you want to contact a specific club for further information."

Got the distinct impression I was being fobbed off

This leaves me with questions some of which are
- why is the detail of the calculation not available (i dont mean for each club I mean the principles of it)?
- why shouldnt the fans know the details ?
- How does this comply with the FL principles of transparency?
- If i can get the information (apparently) from a club why can i not get it from the FL?
- Do the divisional rules change each year?
- If the clubs make it up for themselves how does the FL monitor it at all ?
- shouldnt the FL/FA be the ones imposing the rules not the clubs?
- what is actually included in the calculation because it would seem it is not just turnover?
- How does the FFP and SCMP actually deal with the biggest problem of debt ?
- is FFP and SCMP worth the paper it is written on to tackle the huge problem of football finance ?
- other than arranging fixtures and register players what is it the FL actually do? because they do not seem to monitor finances very well, do not seem to have strong leadership, rely on Board discretion to paper over weak regulations, have no investigative capability of note, dont check the suitability of owners and directors (just rely on a tick list by the owner or director).
- Is the FL fit for purpose ....... or is that purpose in reality just to arrange fixtures and register players?

Last edited:

Sky Blues

I'm beginning to wonder how much longer the Football League will survive. If, as we seem to be discovering, its rules have the transparency and consistency of playdough they'll eventually get caught in a tangled web of contradictory decisions.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Greg Clarke said that the regulations were not rules but guidance in his CWR interview I believe............. in which case how can they rely on the football creditors rule because it is in his words guidance not a rule

Not sure the guy fully understands the implications of some of what he is saying

Users who are viewing this thread