Financial Madness ? (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Harry H

Seeing Reading prepared to pay (supposedly) circa £18k a week to Marc McNulty (4 year contract?), and he can rarely get a game for them, how much trouble are they likely to be in if they drop down to League 1? I know little about their finances, except that they must surely be under incredible financial pressure if they are forking out those sort of wages to their squad, with such a potential drop in income.

Captain Dart

Meh.. that's their problem

no_loyalty

Seeing Reading prepared to pay (supposedly) circa £18k a week to Marc McNulty (4 year contract?), and he can rarely get a game for them, how much trouble are they likely to be in if they drop down to League 1? I know little about their finances, except that they must surely be under incredible financial pressure if they are forking out those sort of wages to their squad, with such a potential drop in income.

Not getting many through the turnstiles either, just under 13,000 there last night

GaryJones

Think they’ve struggled since Mad-jet-ski pulled out and decided not to finance them.
Think they will find their true level in League One.

Sky Blue Harry H

Not reading specifically (just an example) bit It just made me think that most of the Championship clubs must be vulnerable if they get relegated. Maybe not quite the same as dropping from PL to Championship, but Championship wages must be a millstone on their finances if they hit L1, if wages are at McNulty's level.

clint van damme

be amazed if he's on 18 grand a week.
I'd imagine McNulty was on around 1500 per week with us, I'm sure they didn't need to offer him 12 times his wages to tempt him away.

Sky Blue Harry H

Apologies if the salary is out. I am quoting (foolishly) from another thread where I'd read it(hoping now I haven't got mixed up with Sterling whose salary was being touted at 18-20k a week!! My bad, if so!)

Magwitch

I actually think as much as I’d like to be in it the Championship is a bloody dangerous league to be in. There’s the golden pot of the Prem on the horizon then the grim third division lurking behind. There are clubs in the championship spending huge chunks of money on transfer fees, wages and command nowhere near the gates or income to back it up trying to get to this promised land. I work with a home and away Villa die-hard and he said to me if they went up they’d have to spend over 100 million just to stay in, crazy and anyone they have any good the bigger boys at the top nick them.

Magwitch

They struggled to stay in last season, McNulty was their main signing for one and a half million, he’s not being picked and they are losing, I’d be surprised if Clement lasts to the end of October.

IrishSkyBlue

Facebook User
McNulty only hope is a new manager comes in and gives him a chance otherwise hopefully we see them going down and us going up that would be funny.

Skyblueweeman

Reading have some serious problems. A friend of mine is a fan and he's resigned to relegation already.

Further down the line, I think London Irish might be going to share with Brentford FC if their new stadium gets built, meaning a loss of rental income from them.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

You don't have to look as far as Reading we singed Stuart Beavon on a 2 year contract in June 2017 even at that time it was obvious that was money that could have been better spent elsewhere . All clubs waste money but I do admit the championship waste more than most . Magwitch if Villa went up they could afford to spend £100,000 just to stay in there as you get that much if you finish bottom . The only thing is players they sign would have to have a clause put in their contract if they went down they would be allowed to leave or play on championship wages.

bawtryneal

No way is McNulty on 18k a week.
Readings highest salary is more like 30k a month and McNulty will be on £22k a month tops so more like £5k to £6k a week.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread