Formation and style of play? (1 Viewer)

skybluegod

Can someone tell me how we play under Pressley what's the formation we play still 4-2-3-1? High pressing up the field? I haven't been to many games recently as it is hard to get to games for me and the radio doesn't really picture it from me so any info would be good.

theferret

Today was a bit different to what I have seen recently. Seemed we were actively trying to play higher up the pitch and press in the final third - the result was Doncaster kept giving the ball away and we had a lot of possession 1st half. Final ball needs working on, and second half we drifted out of the game. Formation hard to put your finger on at times, it seems quite fluid. But for the 1st hour I was impressed today.

TakeMeHome

Not really sure what formation we were playing today, the midfield kept rotating round, at times Bailey was playing as the furthest forward midfielder. Thought tactics worked well and our patient build up play worked well to frustrate and create openings out wide. Some great long passing today as well.

skyblue_rich

I thought it was a more of a high pressed 4-1-4-1, with Barton holding in midfield, and being the playmaker (like what clingan was supposed to do last year). Played it along the ground, murphy rolled it out in the first half and we looked a top team.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Today was completely different to what im used to seeing. Not sure if that was our game plan, or whether Pressley had done his homework on Donny and wanted to counter what they were going to try! I say 'try' because first half they didnt succeed very well! Seemed they had to change their style at half time to suit ours.

It was kind of 2 CB's, 2 Wing backs, Barton just in front if the back 2, Baker and Moussa left and right, Fleck varied between being in front of Barton, to going just behind the front 1 when in attack, and Bailey just kinda slotted in in the middle. Make a formation out of that if possible :)

What ever it was, it paid off first half. Could have done with two upfront second half imo, as we allowed Donny to get into the game and as per the usual City style, were happy to defend a 1-0 lead

TakeMeHome

Yeah thats a good shout on the 4-1-4-1. Think it just threw me a bit with Bailey not playing the holding role. Worked very well though as you could see we were holding posession well and it seemed to have really caught Doncaster off guard. Really bossed the midfield 1st half and some good out wide play. Very pleasing performance despite a few scares near the end.

stupot07

It looked like a 4141 but fleck often dropped deep with Barton so it moved to a 4231. We played some nice passing football especially in the first half, but a caveat to that would be that Donny were very poor and didnt press with any conviction in the first half thus barton and fleck had a lot of time on the ball. We created very little however, most of our chances came from baker, Barton and Moussa shooting from 20-30 yards. The goals was well worked by Christie but even that was a half chance.

Second half Donny switched it around second half made a sub (no.35) and pressed us higher, quicker and with more conviction. We lost our rhythm. Donny had 3-4 gilt edge chance which they missed, plus 2 which were just offside. We struggle going forward and our only 2 chances of bote came from a cross shot from Christie that his the bar from range and acute angle, and a header (edge) put over the bar.

Ball was left isolated for large periods of the match.

logjoe

I just hope what ever the outcome we keep hold of pressley and his team. Pre season and the fitness sorted the squad will be very strong

Users who are viewing this thread