Gary Hoffman (1 Viewer)

chorlton

Hi there, new to this forum but have felt homeless without a Cov forum for some time.

Anyway, I wanted to share this bit of info from todays Guardian,

"Ladbrokes has cut its odds on Gary Hoffman (former Northern Rock CEO) becoming the next chief executive of Barclays, after taking a "decent bet" on him this afternoon at its Charing Cross branch in London.Hoffman is now priced at 10/1, from 16/1 originally. A Ladbrokes source says he is the only candidate who has seen significant interest today.
Hoffman has been running NBNK, the venture that hoped to become a new player in the UK banking sector. It's now being wound up, though, after missing out on the Lloyds bank branch sale."

I don't normally keep an eye on the business pages but I've spotted him a few times in there and he's clearly a man with ambition. In ordinary circumstances we'd say "how can a man tipped to be Chief Exec of Barclays not be taken seriously by the club?" but then these are strange days.

Anyway, wondered what would be the implications for City if he did get the job. Would it mean he'd lose interest (excuse the pun), or give him more clout with investors?

Grendel

I don't know but thanks for the info - I'm switching to Nat West.

DazzleTommyDazzle

Didn't even realise he was interested in the first place

You really ought to take more interest then.

There are some who think that he should pay SISU back a significant chunk of their "investment", but I don't think there's anyone who seroiously doesn't think "he was interested in the first place".

Gray

You really ought to take more interest then.

There are some who think that he should pay SISU back a significant chunk of their "investment", but I don't think there's anyone who seroiously doesn't think "he was interested in the first place".

i wish people could tell sarcasm when they see it.

but it is a bit hard to tell on tinterweb

CJparker

Welcome to SBT charlton!

To be honest, I'd rather he get his arse in gear and buy CCFC!

Otis

Gary Hoffman has always been interested ...... in getting someone else to buy and invest in the club.

Nonleagueherewecome

Dunno Chorlton, but I agree with your angle that people don't quite appreciate that Hoffman is not a mug. We've seen the financial webs that SISU spin-I'm sure he'd have nothing whatsoever to do with them in any other business field, but for the fact that his football club is so entangled in their lair and he has to do anything in his power to try and wrest it free. It hasn't worked so far, but then spiders, webs etc...y'know.

Nice username and welcome :wave: Look out for the witch! One of my earliest and most vivid childhood memories is the witch making me cry when I was about 2 years old *shudder*

kepit 2 yusen

I don't know but thanks for the info - I'm switching to Nat West.
<br />
<br />

If you do your homework, Gary Hoffman has previously been chairman of Barclaycard and vice chairman of Barclays bank before assuming the role of Cheif Exec at Northern Rock. He's very capable, highly regarded and extremely talented. Any failings to secure investment at CCFC are purely down to Sisu's ineptitude and bare faced reluctance to do a reasonable deal, not pay off their misguided negligence.

shy_tall_knight

In Hoff we trust. The private equity boys like Shitsu are corporate chancers will do things that although legal may be unethical as their reputation to the public is not as important as a high street bank's reputation. The reputation that matters to them is with the sovereign wealth investors ie that they can give them a good return on investment. Thus walkig away from CCFC empty handed after incurring huge losses is not an option

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
In Hoff we trust. The private equity boys like Shitsu are corporate chancers will do things that although legal may be unethical as their reputation to the public is not as important as a high street bank's reputation. The reputation that matters to them is with the sovereign wealth investors ie that they can give them a good return on investment. Thus walkig away from CCFC empty handed after incurring huge losses is not an option

No comment on Hoffman.......... but you do realise the circumstances why he is being put forward as the head of Barclays don't you ?

Grendel

No comment on Hoffman.......... but you do realise the circumstances why he is being put forward as the head of Barclays don't you ?

Yes I couldn't help but laugh at the irony.

mark82

Yes, Barclays, the shining light of ethics.

shy_tall_knight

If Barclays Capital - their private hedge had behaved the way Shitsu have it would have been terrible publicity for the Barclays Group but who's heard of SIS outside of Cov fans and high finance. Hoff is in position too take on that role because he has the right credentials Shitsu are more likely to be offered roles with Ocean Finance

theprince

Nothing has changed since we were told about the guy, i think it was a Ken Grant, was put in place to oversee any chinese takeover.

In Hoffman I Trust

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
not to mention a small event a couple years called the "banking crisis" that plunged the whole damn world into recession ........ :facepalm: all very ethical and nothing to do with dodgy procedures, bad management, reckless investment or greed at banks

That said it has to be a feather in Hoffmans cap that he is seen as the man to sort out the current new crisis at Barclays

the outcome of which will mean that GH will have less time to sort out CCFC should he want to if he gets the Barclays job

Last edited:

theprince

Hoffman isn't "sorting" out Coventry City. I believe if wanted Hoffman and his associates could buy out SISU easily but why should they spend 10,20 or 30 million when in all probability they will get it for a song.
SISU are finished just a case of when they realise it, let them bleed.

In Hoffman I Trust.

lordsummerisle

<br />
<br />

If you do your homework, Gary Hoffman has previously been chairman of Barclaycard and vice chairman of Barclays bank before assuming the role of Cheif Exec at Northern Rock. He's very capable, highly regarded and extremely talented. Any failings to secure investment at CCFC are purely down to Sisu's ineptitude and bare faced reluctance to do a reasonable deal, not pay off their misguided negligence.

If you do your homework you would realise that when he was Chairman of Barclaycard it made huge losses(well before the financial crisis), and that he was removed from that as not considered a big enough hitter.

He was made Vice-Chairman of Barclays, but in a non job as Vice-Chairman of Equality and Diversity, basically a long "gardening leave".

Made Chairman of Northern Rock once the worst had really happened, though after he left it was sold to Virgin at a loss to the taxpayer.

At NBNK, closed down after failing in either of it's mandates to buy either the aformentioned Northern Rock, and losing over £30million for it's investors in 18 months.

Can we stop waiting for "the King over the water", not going to happen, and not the best track record in high finance that some like to make out.

theprince

Was never going to be a quick solution although a deal was almost done last January but Dulieu fucked that up, different circumstances now and it's a buyers market. I think SISU could throttle the tango man

theprince

If you do your homework you would realise that when he was Chairman of Barclaycard it made huge losses(well before the financial crisis), and that he was removed from that as not considered a big enough hitter.

He was made Vice-Chairman of Barclays, but in a non job as Vice-Chairman of Equality and Diversity, basically a long "gardening leave".

Made Chairman of Northern Rock once the worst had really happened, though after he left it was sold to Virgin at a loss to the taxpayer.

At NBNK, closed down after failing in either of it's mandates to buy either the aformentioned Northern Rock, and losing over £30million for it's investors in 18 months.

Can we stop waiting for "the King over the water", not going to happen, and not the best track record in high finance that some like to make out.
Bet he has a better paid job than you though !

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Was never going to be a quick solution although a deal was almost done last January but Dulieu fucked that up, different circumstances now and it's a buyers market. I think SISU could throttle the tango man

There is no evidence that any deal was nearly done ..... no due diligence was done ..... no offer accepted...... no heads of agreement that we know of...... there were some discussions (how detailed we do not know) and a possible exchange of correspondence. All parties likely to involved (SISU, CCFC, Council, Charity) have all said there has been nothing recent by way of even discussions with GH & co.

Last edited:

AFCCOVENTRY

Gary Hoffman has always been interested ...... in getting someone else to buy and invest in the club.

Yes indeed.

Amazing how many people don't realise this and bang on about Gary buying the club.

He won't. He will just try to get contacts in the business world to form a consortium to buy ccfc.

lordsummerisle

There is no evidence that any deal was nearly done ..... no due diligence was done ..... no offer accepted...... no heads of agreement that we know of...... there were some discussions (how detailed we do not know) and a possible exchange of correspondence. All parties likely to involved (SISU, CCFC, Council, Charity) have all said there has been nothing recent by way of even discussions.

Think that PWKH said at the time when that "deal" was talked about that there had been no contact whatsoever with Hoffman or any supposed investors.

Was just another story from the fevered imagination of Kev Monks.

Grendel

Was never going to be a quick solution although a deal was almost done last January but Dulieu fecked that up, different circumstances now and it's a buyers market. I think SISU could throttle the tango man

Why do you just make things up Eleanor that you clearly know nothing about?

theprince

There is no evidence that any deal was nearly done ..... no due diligence was done ..... no offer accepted...... no heads of agreement that we know of...... there were some discussions (how detailed we do not know) and a possible exchange of correspondence. All parties likely to involved (SISU, CCFC, Council, Charity) have all said there has been nothing recent by way of even discussions.
Take it from me a deal was on the cards, exactly what who knows but Dulieu scuppered it. I have heard said he wanted to stay on as chairman or some capacity, anyway thats gone now also heard he fed the SISU higher-archy with bull. We will find out one day

Grendel

Take it from me a deal was on the cards, exactly what who knows but Dulieu scuppered it. I have heard said he wanted to stay on as chairman or some capacity, anyway thats gone now also heard he fed the SISU higher-archy with bull. We will find out one day

"exactly what who knows" priceless.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
strange then that 15 months after KD has gone that GH and his backers havent been in touch with another deal

with the greatest respect I am not about to take your word for it either...... not how I work on things financial

theprince

Your maths ain't that good mate KD went about 15 weeks ago not months and how do you know they haven't been in touch ? Oh i forgot Tim Fisher says they haven't

Grendel

Your maths ain't that good mate KD went about 15 weeks ago not months and how do you know they haven't been in touch ? Oh i forgot Tim Fisher says they haven't

In January a certain poster who has long since departed was claiming lots of talk about takeovers and that this would happen before February. They even said that they would be chatting to councillor mutton at the next game as he also new a takeover was very close.

Sadly I have the misfortune to sit near said councillor and no such talks took place and no one was spreading rumours on takeovers.

Where do all the lonely people come from Eleanor?

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I stand corrected on my dates not maths ......... how do you know they have or is that the same as the chinese buying the club in two weeks time ...... remind me when that was ?

As for TF well no not where i got my info but then again i am open to the possibility that he might be correct.

Last edited:

Grendel

I stand corrected on my dates not maths ......... how do you know they have or is that the same as the chinese buying the club in two weeks time ...... remind me when that was ?

As for TF well no not where i got my info but then again i am open to the possibility that he might be correct.

Theprince is a wind up merchant time for him to go back to the yellow submarine.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
i know but sometimes i get the urge to reply even if i dont take the rumours seriously :D

theprince

SISU are finished here. They have nowhere to go, no real money coming in, the prospect of a 50% drop in home fans and lucky to get 500 away fans and it was the away fan revenue they relied on. there will be no 6000+ coming here next season. A buyers market, I hope and expect Hoffman and co to let 'em bleed.

In Hoffman I Trust

Users who are viewing this thread