Gene. Engineering! (1 Viewer)

wingy

What a brilliant. breakthrough with the little girl In the news stories tonight.
Completely eradicated her Leukemia without all the complications and side effects of conventional treatments.
Sorry can't post any links.
This has so many options around It to treat so many potentially fatal conditions.
Bravo for her parents being so fearless to take the chance.

wingy

Was In the last 15-20 mins of C4 news
Basically took one of her cells put a virus In It did a couple of other procedures to guarantee It wouldn't attack healthy cellsand Bingo
Very brave of her parents as untried In any human tests.
I'm assuming they had run out of other options re other methods of treatment and faced the ultimate choice.
If I got It right this treatment form could potentially supercede the need for all the other unpleasant forms people regularly have to undergo.
Hopefully as this appears to have been a resounding success It will prove to have as close 100%success rate unlike others.

mechaishida

What a brilliant. breakthrough with the little girl In the news stories tonight.
Completely eradicated her Leukemia without all the complications and side effects of conventional treatments.
Sorry can't post any links.
This has so many options around It to treat so many potentially fatal conditions.
Bravo for her parents being so fearless to take the chance.

Gonna have a look for this story, but indeed, bravo to the parents (and the little girl) for their courage.

So what we're saying is that her Leukeamia now can't spread? They can possibly kill off the cells carrying it and she'll be good for life?

If I understand it right, could this be the end of death by cancer? Are we possibly looking at life until organ failure for all and disease no longer being a killer?

wingy

So what we're saying is that her Leukeamia now can't spread? They can possibly kill off the cells carrying it and she'll be good for life?

If I understand it right, could this be the end of death by cancer? Are we possibly looking at life until organ failure for all and disease no longer being a killer?

Eventually Rich I think it's a possibility.

I misunderstood the real point made by the Clinicians as Gene therapy has been going for awhile In various forms.
This however Is Gene Editing, unlike Gene therapy which takes The Cells from the patient these are generic cells.
Article here www.sciencealert.com/gene editing

So yeah this person has Leaukemia lets whack some of these cells in and bish bash bosh you aint got it anymore.

n.b. Process simplified for clarity.

mechaishida

Mad scientists manipulating and 'editing' genetic structures...it doesn't exactly sit right with me. I sincerely hope there are no long-term side-effects or potential 'time bomb' problems for anyone having this experimental procedure.

As I was told by a professor once, in my college days: ''My boy, there are no benefits in a cure for cancer. There are only benefits, and money, in it's treatment - for the corporations and Circle of Power that holds us all in their seedy grasp. And that is that."

He had a flair for melodrama, but this statement always pops into my head whenever I hear of a 'revolutionary new means to combat cancer'.

Johnnythespider

Anyone interested in this can hear the professor responsible talking to Jeremy Vine on his radio 2 show today from 12 till 2 pm. Sounds brilliant to me young girls parents told to expect the worst as traditional treatment not working so opt for this treatment and leukaemia now gone.

Users who are viewing this thread