gigabit internet speeds? (1 Viewer)

Coventry La La La

_49511898_korea_5.jpg
What would you do with gigabit internet speeds?

South Korea is already ahead of the global technological curve but it is looking to forge even further ahead by boosting broadband speeds across the nation.
It is not aiming at 100, 200 or even 500 megabits per second (Mbps). Instead it has devised a national plan for 1,000Mbps connections to be commonplace by 2012.
The government is encouraging enterprise to spend the 34 trillion Won (£19bn), required to complete the scheme. By way of a comparison, that figure is roughly the same as the nation's annual education budget.
In theory, this idea will give many homes in South Korea a connection speed 500 times faster than is guaranteed in the UK.
In practice, South Korea is already considered the country quickest for broadband. The current average connection, according to a report by web firm Akamai, is 12Mbps - the highest in the world.

In the UK, Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt has said that Britain will lead Europe into the era of super-fast broadband by 2015.
Some companies are already promising speeds of around 50Mbps and the government has guaranteed a 2Mbps connection for everyone by the end of the current parliament.
But what can a 1,000Mbps super-fast connection be used for?
Firstly, it is about speed - Hollywood blockbusters can be downloaded in 12 seconds or the entire James Bond back catalogue can be delivered whilst the kettle boils.

BenInTurin

Facebook User
Well with ever increasing video resolutions and 101 different sound options coming with films this leads to bigger files. I imagine in the future we won't be going to Game or hmv to buy media but we'll be buying it direct online and for that to be a success companies need it to be delivered quickly.

Just imagine downloading FIFA2015 while you make a cup of tea!

Nick

Administrator
Downloading is obviously the future. You can get 1gb connections in the UK at the minute but you are talking big, big money to get something like that with a leased line.

I am pretty sure with that sort of speed you can get TV down through that connection and pretty much do anything you need to just using the internet. I wish we did have it, everything would be instant :)

dutchman

Most ISPs in this country still impose a traffic limitation of 10GB per month so there won't be much advantage for heavy downloaders. That includes BT's new 'Infinity' fibre optic service which charges a penalty of £1 for extra GB of traffic over 10GB.

Upload speeds are still a joke compared to download speeds whichever service is chosen.

redsox

Facebook User
I dream of such speeds!!..... even the meagre promised download speeds prove to be less , with the well used phrase "UP TO" next to an exaggerated speed that we never seem to achieve. I would welcome any ISP who gives us an actual or average speed that can be expected in my area.

:mad:

Users who are viewing this thread