Got, Not Got (1 Viewer)

Irish Sky Blue

I received a little book, Got, Not Got, for Christmas. It is a little gem of a book provoking memories of the sixties. seventies and eighties through sky blue eyes. It is a reminder of a time when we were a big club, owned by people who cared and when we had club shops that were stocked and you could actually buy things. Some of the photos in this book I have not seen before. There is a great picture of a rammed Highfield Road in the 60's. It is before my time but I would think it was of a game in the third division. The picture is taken level with the penalty spot, Main Stand side, West End of the ground and shows the first section of the Sky Blue Stand in place alongside the old barrel roofed stand it eventually replaced. Between the two stands you can see the end terraced house of what must be Highfield Road in the middle distance. The camera catches the keeper in mid air but the ball is lost against the background. Same league as we play in now. Big difference is, then we had hope, with Sisu, there is no hope. Great book, well worth getting if only to relive great memories of great players. This is the latest of many books I have bought related to the City. The first one I bought, which I still have was a little book with a sky blue cover called Miracle in Sky Blue by someone called Marshall Stewart. This came out as we were promoted in 1967. Does anyone know who Marshall Stewart was?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

They've got this on Amazon. Is the book you've got JUST about CCFC or football in general ?

GaryJones

Its Called Got Not Got - The Lost World of Coventry City.

Got, Not Got: The Lost World of Coventry City is an Aladdin's cave of memories and memorabilia, guaranteed to whisk you back to Highfield Road's fondly remembered 'Golden Age' of mud and magic - as well as a Sky Blues-mad childhood of miniature tabletop games and imaginary, comic-fuelled worlds. The book recalls a more innocent era of football, lingering longingly over relics from the good old days - Sky Blues stickers and petrol freebies, league ladders, big-match programmes and much more - revisiting lost football culture, treasures and pleasures that are 100 per cent Coventry City. If you were a Junior Sky Blue, one of the army of obsessive soccer kids at any time from the Jimmy Hill revolution to the early days of the Premier League, then this is the book to recall the mavericks - Carr, Regis and Dublin, Mortimer, Hutchison and Ogrizovic - and the marvels of the Lost World of Football.

Here's the link to Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Got-Not-Los...921&sr=8-9&keywords=got+not+got&tag=skblta-21

Last edited:

Irish Sky Blue

They've got this on Amazon. Is the book you've got JUST about CCFC or football in general ?
It is just about City. Lots of good stuff to jog your memory. I didn't know, for example, that it was only ourselves and Man City that allowed those little blue cars for the disabled around the pitch perimeter. I can remember many occasions when a clearance cannoned into the side of these with a tremendous thud. Must have scared the living day lights out of the person in the car. Wouldn't be allowed today I am sure with H and S, but for all the years they were there I never saw anyone get hurt.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Many thanks Irish Sky Blue, just ordered it .

henry the wasp

It is just about City. Lots of good stuff to jog your memory. I didn't know, for example, that it was only ourselves and Man City that allowed those little blue cars for the disabled around the pitch perimeter. I can remember many occasions when a clearance cannoned into the side of these with a tremendous thud. Must have scared the living day lights out of the person in the car. Wouldn't be allowed today I am sure with H and S, but for all the years they were there I never saw anyone get hurt.

They definitely had them at Stamford bridge. They were called the AC Invacar.

Users who are viewing this thread