Greatest Sporting Event ? (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

On five live the other day they were saying that the Grand National was without doubt the greatest event in sport.
It is a famous old race but to claim the greatest is a bit over the top ?
How about the World Cup Final, the Heavyweight Championship in boxing, The Ashes, Wimbledon Final, 100 Metres Final. Even the FACup Final I'd put alongside the National. Are they right though ?

CJ_covblaze

The single annual sports event with the highest attendance is the Tour de France. In terms of paid spectators Indy takes some beating. It’s the biggest stadium in the world isn’t it?

bringbackrattles

The single annual sports event with the highest attendance is the Tour de France. In terms of paid spectators Indy takes some beating. It’s the biggest stadium in the world isn’t it?
Five Live said the National more for excitement etc and how it's watched worldwide.

Sky_Blue_Daz

I’ve been to the grand national twice , really enjoyed both trips.
Although according to relatives who live in Aintree the Thursday and Friday have better races

Gazolba

The Olympics is obviously the biggest in terms of most countries competing and viewership, and probably length of time its been held.

Nick

Administrator
Im not that fussed at all about the grand national, plenty of other sporting events I'd put before it.

Covstu

As a kid it was always the FA cup final, the build up, personal bit about the players, cup songs, manager talking about his players. Everything just added to the excitement of the day even if the game was crap. The best thing about it was everyone was watching it was it was accessible to everyone on terrestrial TV. Sadly not the case now

Otis

As a kid it was always the FA cup final, the build up, personal bit about the players, cup songs, manager talking about his players. Everything just added to the excitement of the day even if the game was crap. The best thing about it was everyone was watching it was it was accessible to everyone on terrestrial TV. Sadly not the case now
Yep, same here. It was all about the whole day and the build up to the whole day and the kick off. Used to be so excited on cup final morning.

Now I can't even be bothered to watch it.

bringbackrattles

Yep, same here. It was all about the whole day and the build up to the whole day and the kick off. Used to be so excited on cup final morning.

Now I can't even be bothered to watch it.
It was the highlight of the football season as a kid in our house for me. I'd be up early and watch the build up etc,my dad would work till dinner time then come home and watch the rest,my mum would go out shopping,and my sister would be going " not that rubbish again ! " Then at the final whistle I'd be over the fields with my mates playing football for hours,all of us pretending to be one of the stars of the earlier Cup Final. Great memories,sadly its pretty boring now.
Other than in 87 !

jimmyhillsfanclub

The FA Cup final used to be special, thats for sure......it had way more respect back then....I certainly don't recall other fixtures being played on the same day anyhow.

These days I'd probably plump for the Ryder Cup.....the format is great & in the modern money driven world of sport, its fascinating watching multi-millionaires used to playing a very individual sport get so passionate when playing in a team for free......well, most of them anyhow.....cough.....tiger wanker woods....cough

ajsccfc

Nothing beats the World Cup for me. Even when the football's awful, it's an entire month that I look forward to for ages leading up to it. Otherwise, the Royal Rumble.

tigersb

For me it's got to be the boat race or The Horse of the Year show

Nick

Administrator
For me it's got to be the boat race or The Horse of the Year show

Flyball at Crufts for me.

giphy.gif

W

westcountry_skyblue

Used to be the Fa cup final as a kid in the 70”s and 80’s,Straight in front of the tv from 9am on a Saturday until 5.30-6pm.
Now it’s lost it’s glamour,So got to say the Cheltenham festival for me!!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

The tiddlywinks world championships in Poole 1993 will take some beating!!
Gavin ‘The Firestarter’ Forsyth v Peter ‘The Pelican Whisperer’ Parry, WHAT A GAME!!

Ian1779

I know it's not a single event but FA Cup 3rd round day is still one of the best days in the UK sporting calendar.

Gazolba

The world chess championship was pretty exciting when Bobby Fischer was in his prime.
The Russians had dominated the competition for decades but he was the one person that they could never beat, and they hated it.
The matches involving him were televised and attracted quite an audience.

ajsccfc

Holy crap, sand marble racing's fantastic. My pick was pipped at the post and now I have to watch more

Users who are viewing this thread