Green Light For Jimmy Hill Statue (1 Viewer)

Coventry La La La

jimmy-hill.jpg

Statue to be erected

A statue of legendary former Coventry City manager and chairman Jimmy Hill will be erected outside the Ricoh Arena in time for next season.

The statue has now been commissioned and will be positioned outside the main entrance to the Ricoh Arena after a fund-raising appeal which has attracted tens of thousands of pounds in donations from supporters, businesses and other organisations.

Hill is one of the most influential figures in the history of the club after he introduced the continental-style Sky Blue strip to the club and led them from the old Third Division before taking City to the top flight for the first time in their history during the 1966/67 season.The statue fund is still short of its fund-raising target but the committee took the decision to commission the statue now so that it would be in place by the time the new season begins.

Joe Elliott, life president of CCFC, said: "We decided to press the green button on this now despite being short of our fund-raising target so that the dream of Jimmy's statue will be a reality by the time next season kicks off.

"This statue will have an imposing position at the front of the Ricoh Arena and people will be able to see it in all its glory forever.

"It is not only a great tribute to an iconic figure in the history of Coventry City, but also to the generosity of supporters and people in the city."

Sculptor Nicholas Dimbleby has compiled potential designs for the statue and has begun the initial stages of creating the bronze sculpture.

"The statue design has changed several times since the initial stages but I think we have come up with something that both I and the committee are pleased with," said Dimbleby.

"There is always pressure to try and encapsulate the personality of the subject in the sculpture and I am lucky in that I have known Jimmy for quite a long time.

"I have read his biography and there are a lot of pictures of Jimmy so you can capture something of his energy and spirit.

"There are certain things you notice about Jimmy - he was always very determined, very dogged and very single minded but there is always a glint in his eye and a focused look about him - and these are the types of things I've tried to represent."

The appeal has also received generous donations in the form of building materials from local suppliers which means the total amount required to erect the statue has fallen below the original estimated project cost of £150,000.

Kevin Heffernan, Jimmy Hill Tribute Appeal Chairman and CCFC vice president, said: "Everyone involved on the committee has worked very hard to make this happen, it has been a joint effort and I am really proud to have been part of it.

"In terms of the design it shows Jimmy in a pose which welcomes everyone to the Ricoh Arena.

"It will be a focal point which people will want to come and see which is why it was so important that we selected the right position and design."

Donations are still being accepted by cash or cheque at any Coventry Building Society Branch and by cheques made out to the Jimmy Hill Tribute Appeal and posted to Godiva House, Binley Business Park, Coventry, CV3 2TQ.

Online bank transfers can also be made to the Jimmy Hill Tribute Appeal using account number 44715278 and sort code 40-63-01 and the appeal will remain open until further notice.

Disorganised1

I think a sky-blue light would have been better.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
JH was a City legend but unfortunately he masterminded the "uncapping of players wages" so in effect, he is the reason why all the Prima Donnas in football are paid such ludicrous wages these days although I don't think Jimmy Hill foresaw these stupid wages of £50,000 - £100,000 PER WEEK!

Users who are viewing this thread