Heading a football causes dementia and should be banned? (1 Viewer)

Gazolba

Otis

If you ban heading the whole concept of the game changes completely.

Could we feasibly see the day when footballers wear helmets akin to those worn in American football?

If a case is proven and the risk is more than minimal something has to be done and of course it would be drastic.

Can you imagine a game with no headers?

Gazolba

If you ban heading the whole concept of the game changes completely.

Could we feasibly see the day when footballers wear helmets akin to those worn in American football?

If a case is proven and the risk is more than minimal something has to be done and of course it would be drastic.

Can you imagine a game with no headers?
Exactly, it would change the game completely.
They could make heading illegal just like handball is illegal.
Corners could be like in field hockey, along the ground.
But once a cause and effect is definitely determined, something will have to be done otherwise there will be legal consequences.
I'm not sure helmets would provide protection, you'd still have the jarring inside the helmet.

Otis

Exactly, it would change the game completely.
But once a cause and effect is definitely determined, something will have to be done otherwise there will be legal consequences.
I'm not sure helmets would provide protection, you'd still have the jarring inside the helmet.
They have cushioned helmets in American football.

The worry with helmets is that keepers are going to be more at risk with challenges going in.

Can definitely see that if proven the game would have to change, but what a drastic change that would be.

bringbackrattles

Remember playing when the ball got wet and ended up like a medicine ball ? Balls are lighter now though. My sister works as a nurse on a dementia ward, and she said she's amazed at how young some patients are.
I wonder if head injuries are to blame ?

Sick Boy

I got knocked on the head playing when I was about 7 or 8. Everything turned green for a minute or two, didn't even bother saying anything.

Nick

Administrator
Does catching a ball a lot for a goalkeeper mean more chance of arthritis in the arms and shoulders? Does kicking a ball mean more chance of knees and hips going in later life?

At what point do we ban everything just in case?

Joy Division

Does catching a ball a lot for a goalkeeper mean more chance of arthritis in the arms and shoulders? Does kicking a ball mean more chance of knees and hips going in later life?

I'm not sure dementia and arthritis are on a parallel.

Otis

I'm not sure dementia and arthritis are on a parallel.
Yeah, dementia is fatal brain failure. A lot harder to die from arthritis.

Think this is a real and serious issue. Can't say I know what the answer is, but if there is a link something has to be done.

My mum has dementia and 6 months ago she was fine. The decline in her memory in just a few months is really upsetting and worrying for us all in our family.

Ian1779

What is your opinion on what should be done?
It's already banned for kids under certain ages in some countries.
The football authorities have been very slow to react up to this point.
Alan Shearer: Making my documentary Dementia, Football and Me
From watching youth football (my son plays) there are very very few kids that actively try and head the ball, especially at U11 and below, so I don't see a ban having a impact there.

Maybe Cech style skull caps in youth football up to 16?

Nick

Administrator
Watching it now

Won't the advanced technology around footballs also help too? They aren't the big massive thick leather things like in the olden days now.

They are pretty light compared to even 10 years ago.

Otis

Watching it now

Won't the advanced technology around footballs also help too? They aren't the big massive thick leather things like in the olden days now.

They are pretty light compared to even 10 years ago.
Isn't it true though that every time you head a ball it kills brain cells? Sure I read that somewhere.

Nick

Administrator
It was interesting that shearer was told his brain scan looks no different to a normal person.

I wonder if it could be genetic too?

The pfa could probably introduce some sort of routine scans for players every x years while they play and after.

SkyblueBazza

Once upon a time smoking was encouraged because it promoted relaxation & was generally accepted as cool.

Since then it has been shown to be a major factor in many disease areas & a massive drain on NHS funds treating the said diseases.

And d'you know what? Millions still a. Smoke or b. Begin smoking each year.

Vapes are the latest thing - promoted as trendy & available in every convenience store as well as multiple Vape-shops in every high street...& most of the Vapes are made/owned by the tobacco companies. 'Catch 'em early & keep them for life' is the principle.

Steer anyone you know away from tobacco or vapes. I predict in 20yrs we will see a major epidemic of Vape related conditions!

The ultimate point is that if you have a real specific interest & get real specific pleasure from it...I guess you will do it anyway.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Gazolba

Any type of running does in your knees, that's a pretty well known fact.
Not much can be done about your examples but heading the ball could easily be banned at least for players under a certain age when they are most vulnerable.

Covstu

Once upon a time smoking was encouraged because it promoted relaxation & was generally accepted as cool.

Since then it has been shown to be a major factor in many disease areas & a massive drain on NHS funds treating the said diseases.

And d'you know what? Millions still a. Smoke or b. Begin smoking each year.

Vapes are the latest thing - promoted as trendy & available in every convenience store as well as multiple Vape-shops in every high street...& most of the Vapes are made/owned by the tobacco companies. 'Catch 'em early & keep them for life' is the principle.

Steer anyone you know away from tobacco or vapes. I predict in 20yrs we will see a major epidemic of Vape related conditions!

The ultimate point is that if you have a real specific interest & get real specific pleasure from it...I guess you will do it anyway.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Unless football ban it completely which would be daft. I wonder if you would get a yellow card if you headed the ball if it was?

ajsccfc

I agree with restricting it for kids but I don't think anything needs to be done at senior level or from a certain age onwards, just make sure any risks are made completely clear.

Captain Dart

Dawn Astle's interview with Shearer was very moving.

Otis

I agree with restricting it for kids but I don't think anything needs to be done at senior level or from a certain age onwards, just make sure any risks are made completely clear.
Jordan Willis can't head the ball properly anyway. Are our saying it's deliberate?

Joelly

My thoughts are that you have to manage risk just like you would in a business. Not all risks need immediate and rash decisions.

I think that yes, old players today may be at risk due to balls being very heavy especially from rest. Todays players not so much. Footballs we can all buy in the shops are incredibly light and official matchballs used at top levels are even lighter. I don't think its possible to bad heading in football - would completely change the game.

There are many other sports where the risk of head injuries being caused by contact is much higher. Boxing especially in the heavier weights, ice hockey to name a few. I also agree with a previous point that further research is needed to see if there is any hereditary link that might make a player much more likely to get to unfortunate disease.

However, if a direct link is found it would be hard to not stop heading. Dementia is one of the worst things you can see someone go through.

Users who are viewing this thread