Help needed... (1 Viewer)

Philosorapter

So my father died last week. Don't worry guys I don't need anyone's sympathy, and not looking for any, but I am a great believer of using every resource you have at your disposal. And in this case, this would be you great guys and gals.

The Skinny.

Average family from a street probably not very unlike your own. One parent moves on leaving the other half with mortgage and three kids, and disappears never to be seen again and not paying any support for the kids etc. Which would include, of course, a very young Philosorapter.

The bloke has been very hard to nail down for the last thirty years.

Now, however, I think he is cornered.

Dont have an address for him, outside where he is at the moment.

My question is this:

Does anyone in the family, namely my mother or my two sisters have a claim on his estate if there is one?

Need opinions from legal beagles or people who have who have had experience in this.

What are my next steps to take?

All the best..

P

Last edited:

clint van damme

I think, if he hasn't left a will, his estate goes to probate, which I think anyone can lay claim to and someone somewhere decides who has a valid claim.
Happy to be corrected on any of that because I'm far from an expert.

Captain Dart

So my father died last week. Don't worry guys I don't need anyone's sympathy, and not looking for any, but I am a great believer of using every resource you have at your disposal. And in this case, this would be you great guys and gals.

The Skinny.

Average family from a street probably not very unlike your own. One parent moves on leaving the other half with mortgage and three kids, and disappears never to be seen again and not paying any support for the kids etc. Which would include, of course, a very young Philosorapter.

The bloke has been very hard to nail down for the last thirty years.

Now, however, I think he is cornered.

Dont have an address for him, outside where he is at the moment.

My question is this:

Does anyone in the family, namely my mother or my two sisters have a claim on his estate if there is one?

Need opinions from legal beagles or people who have who have had experience in this.

What are my next steps to take?

All the best..

P
If there is no will the laws of intestacy apply. This is a flowchart from a legal site.
intestacy_rules.jpg

Philosorapter

If there is no will the laws of intestacy apply. This is a flowchart from a legal site.
intestacy_rules.jpg

Cheers for the replies.

I do know they never divorced. Or not from my mothers knowledge.
So, if there is no will then a claim goes on the whole estate.

If there is a will, a claim is made against the estate in probate.

Good stuff guys..

clint van damme

Cheers for the replies.

I do know they never divorced. Or not from my mothers knowledge.
So, if there is no will then a claim goes on the whole estate.

If there is a will, a claim is made against the estate in probate.

Good stuff guys..

if there's no will and they were still married then I'd say your mum is a shoe in.

Users who are viewing this thread