Hypothetical question

Discussion in 'Coventry City General Chat' started by skybluelee, Aug 18, 2011.

1. skybluelee

skybluelee Well-Known Member

Driving into work this hideously rainy morning I, as usual, started to muse about the current financial mess we are in and posed the following question to myself (in my mind, not out loud - that would have been weird);

If a potential investor put the following hypothetical offer on the table would you be in favour?;

An investment of such magnitude that it would clearly would put us up with the big 4 within 5 years but the club would have to change its colours to, say, red?

And if you answer yes to that, what if the condition was to change the club colours and the badge?

I, possibly stupidly, wouldn't be in favour of either because I value the Club's traditions too much despite the day by day misery that following CCFC brings me.

2. Rich

Rich Will the real Dale Evans please stand up

Let me know when you are out in the car. Ill make sure I stay indoors. You are crazy fool. No and its impossible you plonker look at blackburn.

3. Otis

Otis Well-Known Member

Yep. Of course I would turn down the naff prospect of being one of the top 4 sides in the whole country so I could keep our really, really important badge.

And after all, we've always played in Sky Blue haven't we, right from day one back in1883.

:rolleyes:

4. Nick

Nick Administrator

I'd change colours straight away, and the badge :)

5. Rich

Rich Will the real Dale Evans please stand up

your all just glory supporters. I'm ashamed :o

6. Gray

Gray Active Member

If it ment us winning the league I wouldn't even mind pink with red poka dots

7. bamalamafizzfazz

bamalamafizzfazz Active Member

SNAP!! I'd let them change the name to Coventry Shitty too of it meant they guaranteed a top four team* challenging for success.

*assuming top four means champions league and not Championship playoffs :-)

8. les_miserables

les_miserables New Member

No we haven't, from 1962 and although credited with it it wasn't strictly Jimmy Hills idea to wear Sky Blue, it was supposed to be Coventry Blue which is somewhere inbetween royal blue and sky blue. It was Derek Henderson (Nemo) who christened us the Sky Blues and it stuck.

9. skybluelee

We wouldn't be Coventry City to me (only 35 so never known a City side not playing in that colour) if we wore red and changed the badge so it would be no different to deciding today to change allegience and start supporting Arsenal or Liverpool.

10. smileycov

smileycov Facebook User

Nope, beacuse it would no longer be us would it.....may aswell buy madrid and bring em over to cov.

i would dearly love to be up there with the big boys, but we never have. Just a team that competes would do me. What ever happens happens, all i ask is that we have a full squad and play good football, results are nice but i will never stop supporting us just beacuse we never quite make promotion.

11. The Reverend Skyblue

The Reverend Skyblue Well-Known Member

Les, i think Otis was being sarcastic about being in skyblue since 1883.
    Your correct of course in what you said,but i sensed a bit of harmless sarcasim in his reply,though i may be wrong again.

The Rev

12. Otis

Otis Well-Known Member

Well hence the sarcasm and the roll your eyes smiley I put at the end of the post. You are correct Rev. Being completely sarcastic and that was why I said being in the top 4 would be naff and the badge is so much more important! Was being totally sarcastic, but maybe that didn't come through enough in my post.

Most make mental note to be more sarcastic in the future!!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  13. ccfcway

ccfcway Well-Known Member

I be happy for them to change the club to "Ball Bag FC" and play at the memorial park in exchange for one point at the moment !

14. crowsnest

crowsnest Member

Are you thinking of Red Bull who took over Salzburg?

15. Il Pirata

Il Pirata New Member

I hope they would eat chicken drumsticks in the changing room too.

The club would die as it once was, just like FC Al-Shabaab Billionaire Boys Club up in Manchester. The other downside being that the average fan will eventually be priced out of watching the team. Plus glory hangers on.

The upside being that Coventry would have a potentially great sports team which would be known across the world. As long as the name Coventry stayed in there somewhere I'd accept it.

Never mind football looking into the next 5-10 years, imagine what it will be further on, it won't resemble today's football let alone that from 30 years ago.

16. Il Pirata

Il Pirata New Member

See this also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SV_Austria_Salzburg

If you want to watch 'real' old school football then you can do what they, FC Manchester and Wimbledon fans have done I guess. It's up to the individual.

17. Otis

Otis Well-Known Member

I'd be happy if we were called Mong City FC.

Except of course our friends up the M69 have already taken that mantle! :whistle:

18. Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin Active Member

Can't we make it chocolate brown?

19. Tankie

Tankie New Member

Sky Blue Lee..:o
    You could have opened a can of worms with this one, and opened the way for civil war to break out on this Board.
    It is clear, that loyalty to the colour is more important to some supporters, than winning games, whilst playing attractive, exciting, football.
    Loyalty to the kit colour, in my opinion is in my opinion Akin to the line in the "Sky Blue Song" which promises #While we sing together, we will never lose#.
    AS a personal view, and I know this will be like slaying the "Sacred Cow" I find sky blue, insipid and wishy washy, is not bright enough to stand out on gloomy days, and that a "wishy washy"Strip gives "Wishy washy" Performances.
    Some say it would break with tradition, but in the last twenty years, the tradition of CCFC, has been to lose matches, and play poor quality football, maybe its time for someone to grasp the nettle,change the Image of the club, and re invent ourselves, JImmy Hill did it, we didn't always play in sky Blue.
    So in conclusion, it wouldn't bother me one Jot, if we played in Rainbow candy stripes, it would be worth the derision, Just to get a change of fortune, and haul us clear of this stinking bog, that wev'e been sinking into for these last few years.
    Tankie the Heretic....

20. Johnnythespider

Johnnythespider Well-Known Member

Firstly lee you should get up earlier, it was lovely when i left for work at 5:45 this morning. In answer to your question, in my mind tradition stifles progress so i'd be prepared to change just about anything about the club to join the big 4. Of course that might mean you having to change your user name, but i'm sure you'd get over it when Lionel Messi and Barca turned up for a champions league game.

21. bamalamafizzfazz

bamalamafizzfazz Active Member

Let's face it chaps if all this hypothetically did happen then at least WE could all say to the glory supporters all over the world that WOULD start following the club that we were here during the bad decade when City playing in Sky Blue played in the second tier of English football. Now that is something I would always be proud of.

22. SkyBlueScottie

SkyBlueScottie Well-Known Member

if we were successful the queues for the bar would be horrendous!

To be honest, I wouldnt want to be mega big! a yo yo club would be nice... (between the championship and Premiership obviously, not league ! and Championship)

23. sky blue john

sky blue john Well-Known Member

Go back to bed you bloody dreamer !!!!!!!!
    At CCFC we only live in the real World :p

24. covkid53

covkid53 New Member

No take over untill the club is in administration facing a wind up order, sisu can hope as much as the like for a buyer but 40 million in debt and 6 million a year losses...... we are deader than cordory flares. No-one will buy a club with that amount of debt unless they are very rich or very stupid.

Next stop, division 1 if we are lucky enough to survive.

Lets ditch the Sky Blue and go back to "Coventry" blue and white quartered shirts and the Bantams badge and nicknane........ COME ON YOU BANTAMS !!!! :)

25. egastap

egastap Member

This is what the Bantams wore when I first started supporting them!

City Shirt.jpg

26. egastap

egastap Member

Actually, a yo-yo club would be ideal. A season with the big boys, relegated with a great pay-off........a bumper winning season to back up again (great for the fans)....and so on.

Dreaming though!

27. Mr T - Sukka!

Mr T - Sukka! Member

Quit your jibber jabber.

Change to red? Are you pulling my middle leg?

28. Otis

Otis Well-Known Member

Yes, but it is the Bantam Cock, so knowing the City as we do, we would now probably just be known as The Cocks. :(

29. skybluelee

For me our identity is our badge and colour. Take that away and you take away Coventry City. You might just as well go off and support Aston Villa now, it amounts to the same thing.

30. SkyBlueScottie

SkyBlueScottie Well-Known Member

which badge?

31. Astute

Astute Well-Known Member

What is wrong with playing in red? We have played in red before, and are now seriously in the red. Would it be good enough having Sky Blue as our away strip?

32. covcity4life

covcity4life Well-Known Member

i wanna be successfull in sky blue

top 4 for badge change i could accept,but not the colours

33. Otis

Otis Well-Known Member

Good point.