I’m not a greedy man so (1 Viewer)

torchomatic

if you can let us have a point tonight we’ll take it and be grateful for it. Cheers!
I'd be more than happy with that, SB. Hope you get autos and take Leeds up with you.

Sky Blue Harry H

That would be lovely but I really can’t see it. For starters we don’t do clean sheets!
Couldn't play us at a better time in terms of 'dropping like flies'. Regardless, we've had a great season, whilst yours has been unbelievable. You need to go up, otherwise next season is likely to be tougher for you in this division imho.

Terry Gibson's perm

I would rather see saints and Leeds out of the way the last thing we need is another member of the parachute payments gang spoiling the championship in a years time.

suffolkblue

Hope we beat you and Leeds go up and then you fall away next season.

Nothing personal though!

Couldn't play us at a better time in terms of 'dropping like flies'. Regardless, we've had a great season, whilst yours has been unbelievable. You need to go up, otherwise next season is likely to be tougher for you in this division imho.
Definitely. We’re unlikely to get another chance as good as this one. If we don’t take it then I think we may struggle to reach the play offs next season. This is not a negative view, just a realistic one. It’s a tough, tough league and this season we have had so much going for us. Momentum from last season and having the best manager in the EFL (although you may disagree) have been key ingredients. We’ll do well to keep McKenna if we don’t go up. He may not have done it in the premier league yet but there’s no doubt in my mind that he will and at a top club too.

Brighton Sky Blue

Definitely. We’re unlikely to get another chance as good as this one. If we don’t take it then I think we may struggle to reach the play offs next season. This is not a negative view, just a realistic one. It’s a tough, tough league and this season we have had so much going for us. Momentum from last season and having the best manager in the EFL (although you may disagree) have been key ingredients. We’ll do well to keep McKenna if we don’t go up. He may not have done it in the premier league yet but there’s no doubt in my mind that he will and at a top club too.
What do you think has been the secret this season? Easy to just say McKenna but is there anything particular about how he’s built the side/approached recruitment etc?

suffolkblue

I would rather see saints and Leeds out of the way the last thing we need is another member of the parachute payments gang spoiling the championship in a years time.
You’ll be up there next season regardless. Without the FA Cup you would have comfortably been in the play offs. You’re a decent team and a proper club. Other than tonight I like to see Coventry do well. You played at Portman Road just before the first covid lockdown. I can remember being a bit envious seeing your fans enjoying a great season while we were struggling in mid-table but also thinking how good it was to see you on the up. We’ve had a poor 15 years but compared to Cov fans we’ve had it easy.

suffolkblue

What do you think has been the secret this season? Easy to just say McKenna but is there anything particular about how he’s built the side/approached recruitment etc?
Momentum, confidence and for the first 3-4 months of the season we caught teams by surprise by taking the game to them and always playing to win. I don’t think they were expecting that from a newly-promoted team who had spent 4 years in league one. Until Christmas we were fortunate with injuries and pretty much every player in the squad was at the peak of their game. From August to November we were excellent week in, week out. The football was fantastic (Burns goal against you was one of many goals we scored after long passing moves).

Recruitment in the summer was decent (Omari Hutchinson on loan from Chelsea is a special player) but our strongest 11 is close to what it was in League One.

Another factor is fitness and determination. This team don’t know when they’re beaten. Several times we’ve won games late on or held on when facing an onslaught.

It’s not all down to McKenna but I don’t believe that any other manager would have got us into this position.

Martw

if you can let us have a point tonight we’ll take it and be grateful for it. Cheers!
Thinking tonight of my father in law who died in January aged 89. A true man of Suffolk and keen follower of ITFC. I hope that for him you get over the line and go up although perhaps a draw tonight would be nice! Suspect we are just too cooked to be too competitive tonight though. You will not get a better chance than you are facing this week. Good luck.

Brighton Sky Blue

Momentum, confidence and for the first 3-4 months of the season we caught teams by surprise by taking the game to them and always playing to win. I don’t think they were expecting that from a newly-promoted team who had spent 4 years in league one. Until Christmas we were fortunate with injuries and pretty much every player in the squad was at the peak of their game. From August to November we were excellent week in, week out. The football was fantastic (Burns goal against you was one of many goals we scored after long passing moves).

Recruitment in the summer was decent (Omari Hutchinson on loan from Chelsea is a special player) but our strongest 11 is close to what it was in League One.

Another factor is fitness and determination. This team don’t know when they’re beaten. Several times we’ve won games late on or held on when facing an onslaught.

It’s not all down to McKenna but I don’t believe that any other manager would have got us into this position.
Fair play. I think it’s inconceivable you don’t get the 4 points required this week so go and give them hell in the top flight.

Don’t forget though that we inserted a £40 million bonus if Conor Chaplin ever got promoted to the Prem from any of his future clubs. Happy to accept that in instalments.

suffolkblue

I forgot that Chaplin played for you. His form has dropped off a bit lately but that’s compared to the consistently very high standard he has had for 2 years. We love him - a quality player with a great attitude.

Brighton Sky Blue

I forgot that Chaplin played for you. His form has dropped off a bit lately but that’s compared to the consistently very high standard he has had for 2 years. We love him - a quality player with a great attitude.
He should be an example for our current strikers to follow really, imposing himself on games and being ruthlessly clinical despite not really having the same power/pace/strength ours arguably do have.

Flying Fokker

Yep. You may be going up ‘too early’ but as we know, a stab at the Prem can would be worth it just to secure the club. Your guys have been great all season. Your only chance? Who knows?

blunted

Think Ipswich in the first half at Portman Road were the best team we have played this season although on reflection we were beaten by a worldie and Ayari was pants in midfield.
We have so many of our top players out or carrying injuries, and virtually no centre backs along with severe fatigue from too many matches that I would be surprised at anything other than an Ipswich win. That said, all the promotion teams seem stupidly nervous and are not winning matches. We gifted Hull three goals and I mean really gifted them or we would have won which may have put a different slant on this game. We do have two strikers who have scored a shit load of goals since Christmas.
We are on the beach so don't expect a classic performance from us. I hope for a draw.

suffolkblue

Yep. You may be going up ‘too early’ but as we know, a stab at the Prem can would be worth it just to secure the club. Your guys have been great all season. Your only chance? Who

He should be an example for our current strikers to follow really, imposing himself on games and being ruthlessly clinical despite not really having the same power/pace/strength ours arguably do have.
Was he good for you? I heard an interview with him a while ago and I remember him saying he struggled a bit at one club, I’ve got a feeling it could have been Coventry.

Brighton Sky Blue

Was he good for you? I heard an interview with him a while ago and I remember him saying he struggled a bit at one club, I’ve got a feeling it could have been Coventry.
He scored some impressive goals, but was guilty of some really horrendous misses too. It was a bit of a surprise when Barnsley offered what they did.

Users who are viewing this thread