I’m Phoning Trades Descriptions (1 Viewer)

Grendel

As Mel and Sue describe themselves as a comedy duo.

Otis

Mel Giedroyc seems a very, very nice person. She was on Taskmaster, but the humour from the pair is very weak and wishy washy. They are like a female Ant and Dec.

Grendel

Mel Giedroyc seems a very, very nice person. She was on Taskmaster, but the humour from the pair is very weak and wishy washy. They are like a female Ant and Dec.

Hardly - if you like them or not Ant and Dec are very good at what they do as acknowledged every year and by the contracts they negotiate. The celebrity programme advertising shots are like gold dust - more expensive than Champions League games.

Otis

Hardly - if you like them or not Ant and Dec are very good at what they do as acknowledged every year and by the contracts they negotiate. The celebrity programme advertising shots are like gold dust - more expensive than Champions League games.
Are they funny though?

I don't watch them and only see clips and ads and trailers etc. They never seem to be funny.

Aren't they always supposed to be having witty banter?

I am not talking about their hosting skills.

Otis

Have a word about Miranda, Citizen Khan and Russell Howard too

Oh while you are there a mention for Sarah Millican, James Corden, Russel Brand, Russel Kane, Jack Whitehall.

Thanks in advance
Hmm, mixed bag.

With you totally on the first three. Not the slightest bit funny. I don't mind Sarah Milligan, though I am most definitely not a fan. James Corden I think is a very good host on League of their Own.

I don't find Russell Brand funny, or Russell Kane funny, but I do occasionally think Jack Whitehall can be and he was great in Fresh Meat and I do like him on League of their Own too.

So, with you on a lot of them.

You forgot the awful Mrs. Brown's Boys.

Grendel

Are they funny though?

I don't watch them and only see clips and ads and trailers etc. They never seem to be funny.

Aren't they always supposed to be having witty banter?

I am not talking about their hosting skills.

They clearly are or they wouldn’t have record viewing figures and attract massive advertising revenues for ITV for years

Grendel

They ARE funny?

Eh? You sure?

Well public opinion says yes they are. They are the most successful duo on British television by a country mile.

Nick

Administrator
When people laugh at Ant and Dec although it's usual corny humour I don't look at them with hate like I do when it's Miranda or Mrs Brown Boys. If it is a family member there's that feeling of being let down and not really knowing somebody.

Saturday Night Takeaway isn't bad family entertainment, the Generation Game though, jeez.

Otis

Well public opinion says yes they are. They are the most successful duo on British television by a country mile.
Don't get that logic at all.

I am not doubting their hosting skills. I think Mel and Sue are pretty decent too. They did a good job on the GBBO. They just aren't funny though and THAT is what I am talking about.

How many records did Boyzone sell? How many number ones did they have? Does that make them good?

Are you saying Mrs. Brown's Boys is really good because loads of people watch it?

I am sure Ant and Dec must be very good hosts. They keep winning awards. I am talking about them NOT being funny though.

Otis

When people laugh at Ant and Dec although it's usual corny humour I don't look at them with hate like I do when it's Miranda or Mrs Brown Boys. If it is a family member there's that feeling of being let down and not really knowing somebody.

Saturday Night Takeaway isn't bad family entertainment, the Generation Game though, jeez.
Well isn't that exactly what Mel and Sue's humour is? On the GBBO all their humour is very childish and corny.

Grendel

I am not doubting their hosting skills. I think Mel and Sue are pretty decent too. They did a good job on the GBBO. They just aren't funny though and THAT is what I am talking about.

How many records did Boyzone sell? How many number ones did they have? Does that make them good?

Are you saying Mrs. Brown's Boys is really good because loads of people watch it?

I am sure Ant and Dec must be very good hosts. They keep winning awards. I am talking about them NOT being funny though.

It’s nothing to do with hosting - they front a live Saturday entertainment show on prime time slot and front a live reality show for many many years which only functions because of their interplay and humour.

You make no sense.

Grendel

Well isn't that exactly what Mel and Sue's humour is? On the GBBO all their humour is very childish and corny.

When have you watched Ant and Dec then - what show?

Otis

It’s nothing to do with hosting - they front a live Saturday entertainment show on prime time slot and front a live reality show for many many years which only functions because of their interplay and humour.

You make no sense.

No, you make no sense. You are saying they ARE funny because loads of people watch them.

Mrs. Brown's Boys therefore IS funny.

We are talking at cross purpposes. Very clearly.

I am ONLY talking about them being funny. Nowt else.

Otis

When have you watched Ant and Dec then - what show?
I haven't. I said I haven't.

Only thing I ever watched them in was the rehash of the Likely Lads episode. That was awful.

I have only seen clips and trailers etc. I have never seen them say anything funny.

I haven't watched Mrs. Brown's Boys either and again only seen trailers and clips. It's still enough for me to judge that it is totally unfunny.

I have never, ever come across anyone in my entire life who is so keen to argue over anything as you. Geez. You life must be a real hoot.

I bet you are happy to go 40 pages over this.

Knock yourself out.

Kingokings204

Mrs browns boys is a great shout. It’s just not funny.

Any and dec are an interesting one, some of there stuff is worth a chuckle I guess but then they read it all off auto Q. So all their jokes are scripted by someone else. Hardly a comedy masterclass.

Otis

Mrs browns boys is a great shout. It’s just not funny.

Any and dec are an interesting one, some of there stuff is worth a chuckle I guess but then they read it all off auto Q. So all their jokes are scripted by someone else. Hardly a comedy masterclass.
Weren't nearly all Morecambe and Wise's jokes scripted by someone else though? Dick Hills and Sid Green and then Eddie Braben.

Otis

I'm more concerned, if not surprised, by Grendel settling down with a nice mug of Horlicks on a Sunday evening to watch the Generation Game
Ha! Yep.

Again, I have only seen trailers. Have no intention of watching the programme.

Grendel

I'm more concerned, if not surprised, by Grendel settling down with a nice mug of Horlicks on a Sunday evening to watch the Generation Game

I have never watched it - like Otis i know if things are funny or not by not watching them.

Grendel

No, you make no sense. You are saying they ARE funny because loads of people watch them.

Mrs. Brown's Boys therefore IS funny.

We are talking at cross purpposes. Very clearly.

I am ONLY talking about them being funny. Nowt else.

They have occupied a prime time TV slot for 15 years I have watched them and yes they can be funny - and to some people Mrs Brown’s Boys clearly is.

People have different views. Shock horror outrage - i thought Porridge was boring

olderskyblue

I watched it. I think it was an old mate of mines daughter on it...
You need a lot of talent to make it look good, and be really funny. Mel & Sue don't have any where near enough.
and..Looked like it was filmed in a scout hut...

Otis

I have never watched it - like Otis i know if things are funny or not by not watching them.
You are very clearly right , yet again, as you always are, every single time.

I clearly haven't seen endless trailers and ads for their programmes over the years. Probably in the hundreds, where, especially for IACGMOOH there is supposedly 20-30 seconds of 'witty' banter between the pair that I have never ever found funny.

You're right, my seeing, what in total, probably amounts to well over half an hour of witty banter over at least 15 years of them on prime TV, means I have not watched them.

It's not like in a trailer you try and put some of the funniest stuff in is it. Same with movies.

I clearly haven't watched them and the half an plus of my watching attempts at them trying to be funny puts me in no position to offer any opinion. And obviously at ALL.

Next time I see a stand up comedian on TV and I don't find them at all funny after 15-20 mins, I no know I must watch all 90 mins of their show.

I bow to your geniosity.

If you care to notice, I have never commented upon their hosting skills, because I have never seen them. I have seen enough attempts at their being wittty though, but obviously that doesn't count in Grendel World.

Remind me to never ever go there on my holidays.

giphy.gif

Otis

Ant and Dec are pretty funny on I’m a Celebrity.

Just saying.
Never seen it. Just doesn't appeal to me. Nowt to do with them, I just don't like the concept.

I am sure they are fine hosts. I am just saying I don't find them at all funny. It's all subjective isn't it and a matter of opinion. No-one is right and no-one is wrong.

Grendel has a habit of offering his opinion as fact though. It's throughout the forum and universally througout both subject and thread.

I really do not get how anyone can find Mrs. Brown's Boys funny, but clearly a lot of people do.

Personally, I have only ever come across one friend who has said they like it. Everyone else just pulls a yuck face of horror.

rob9872

I was with you on the lack of humour and all of those that the other guys mention too, but Porridge "boring"? I know we all have different tastes but that would sit right at the top for me. Often obvious jokes, but the scripting and acting are excellent and some of the delivery and timing is impeccable (imo of course).

*caveat - I don't get the whole Morecambe and Wise 'genius' tag - feels a bit like emperor's new clothes to me, so perhaps comparable to your dislike of Porridge.

Otis

I was with you on the lack of humour and all of those that the other guys mention too, but Porridge "boring"? I know we all have different tastes but that would sit right at the top for me. Often obvious jokes, but the scripting and acting are excellent and some of the delivery and timing is impeccable (imo of course).

*caveat - I don't get the whole Morecambe and Wise 'genius' tag - feels a bit like emperor's new clothes to me, so perhaps comparable to your dislike of Porridge.
Morecambe and Wise had find tuned their act over decades and it helped with them being so likeable too.

Agree with you on Porridge. Brilliantly written, beautifully acted and some great storylines (Christmas is cancelled, the judge who tried Fletcher being sent down himself etc.)

A brilliant sitcom for me and surely in the top 3 sitcoms of all time.

Grendel doesn't like Clement and La Frenais I don't think, because he has also been very critical of the Likely Lads, which I think is another brilliantly written piece of comedy by the same writers.

La Frenais and Clement also went on to write Auf Wiedershen Pet.

Users who are viewing this thread