Imagine if Sunderland came to town.... (1 Viewer)

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I was looking at the Jimmy Hill banner (that now has a big tear in it) during the Colchester match and it got me wondering : if Sunderland played us in the F.A.cup third round at the Ricoh would it be at all wise to leave that banner there ? (yes, I hear you cry )
I know it won't happen : we won't get to the third round . If we did, we'd have a big crowd and we'd replace the banner with a few thousand extra supporters etc. But if by some miracle we did get there, given that they would bring a full 6,000 quota, many of whom would be full of bile, hatred, resentment etc at what happened against Bristol City, and if by chance our supporters simply didn't turn up in huge numbers, should it be left staring at them ?
Possibility that both teams might be in league 1 next season, if I'm wildy optimistic. So it isn't entirely out of the question.
Red rag to a bull most certainly it is.

Nick

Administrator
They would need to get to the other side of the ground to the flag though.

If they can't contain themselves to want to run either across a pitch or through a stand full of home fans to get to a flag / banner of a man who has passed away then I'd suggest they should just be carted off for help.

Otis

I was looking at the Jimmy Hill banner (that now has a big tear in it) during the Colchester match and it got me wondering : if Sunderland played us in the F.A.cup third round at the Ricoh would it be at all wise to leave that banner there ? (yes, I hear you cry )
I know it won't happen : we won't get to the third round . If we did, we'd have a big crowd and we'd replace the banner with a few thousand extra supporters etc. But if by some miracle we did get there, given that they would bring a full 6,000 quota, many of whom would be full of bile, hatred, resentment etc at what happened against Bristol City, and if by chance our supporters simply didn't turn up in huge numbers, should it be left staring at them ?
Possibility that both teams might be in league 1 next season, if I'm wildy optimistic. So it isn't entirely out of the question.
Red rag to a bull most certainly it is.
I think we should put extra Jimmy Hill flags and banners up, also have a Bristol City flag and we should all dress as female ballet dancers to symbolise the 2 2.

pusbccfc

They would do nothing.

Could imagine their forum the nights leading up to it about how they will tear down the statue. What would actually happen is a few anti-Jimmy chants from 16 year old's who don't even know the story.

oucho

They didn't do anything on their previous visit to the Ricoh in 2006 so why would they do anything this time?

Otis

They didn't do anything on their previous visit to the Ricoh in 2006 so why would they do anything this time?
Time is a great healer they say. Round these parts anyway.

In Sunderland the saying apparently goes ' Time makes things stew and fester.'

Hobo

They would just moan on their forum

oscillatewildly

I'd like to think that the club would at least pay for the services of a little old lady from the village to sew up that big tear you talk of.

Joy Division

I always find it intriguing how Bristol City get away with any vitriol from them, it was them that brought the estimated 20,000 that caused the delay to the kick off.....and it was WM police that advised that the kick off should be delayed not Jimmy Hill, that is a fact. And it was the Bristol City players that were knocking the ball around between each other.

Yes it was Hill that advised the Sunderland score be shown on the scoreboard but it is a common misconception that it was him that advised the delay of kick off, that is just not true.

rob9872

If it did happen we should simply make it Jimmy Hill day.

PUSB sung by his statue, pass the huge flag over our heads around the ground, former players on the pitch, commemorative programme, that dressing room scene at full volume that we play pre match and really rub their noses to get them so riled up they lose all sense of reason.

Irish Sky Blue

I always find it intriguing how Bristol City get away with any vitriol from them, it was them that brought the estimated 20,000 that caused the delay to the kick off.....and it was WM police that advised that the kick off should be delayed not Jimmy Hill, that is a fact. And it was the Bristol City players that were knocking the ball around between each other.

Yes it was Hill that advised the Sunderland score be shown on the scoreboard but it is a common misconception that it was him that advised the delay of kick off, that is just not true.
Just being pedantic so apologies. There was nothing like 20k Bristol fans there that night. Seven or eight thousand maybe. They were allocated a good part of the Kop. However, West End, Sky Blue Stand and Main Stand sides as well as at least 50% of the Kop were sky blue. What did the Kop terrace hold?
I agree with everything else that you said. I know memories play tricks but my recollection of the game was that it was only the last three or four minutes of the game that Bristol played keep ball. Although our game kicked off 15 minutes late the actual moment when competition finished in our game wasn't until much nearer the end?

Irish Sky Blue

Link to the game on YouTube. You can see the amount of Bristol fans on the Kop when they scored their second. Segregation seems pretty ropey but no trouble as I remember.

Otis

Just being pedantic so apologies. There was nothing like 20k Bristol fans there that night. Seven or eight thousand maybe. They were allocated a good part of the Kop. However, West End, Sky Blue Stand and Main Stand sides as well as at least 50% of the Kop were sky blue. What did the Kop terrace hold?
I agree with everything else that you said. I know memories play tricks but my recollection of the game was that it was only the last three or four minutes of the game that Bristol played keep ball. Although our game kicked off 15 minutes late the actual moment when competition finished in our game wasn't until much nearer the end?
Yep, it was Bristol knocking the ball about amongst each other. The City players just attempted no tackles at all.

Mcbean

Just whingeing macoms - prolly just the older more bitter and twisted " fans" who would moan in the pubs - they are big " shite" team basically hanging on with a thread - they are basically fucked just some others eek

Joy Division

The 20,000 figure is only what I've read from some reports so you probably are right.

skyblueinBaku

If it did happen we should simply make it Jimmy Hill day.

PUSB sung by his statue, pass the huge flag over our heads around the ground, former players on the pitch, commemorative programme, that dressing room scene at full volume that we play pre match and really rub their noses to get them so riled up they lose all sense of reason.
Some of them have lost all sense of reason already.

Grendel

Yep, it was Bristol knocking the ball about amongst each other. The City players just attempted no tackles at all.

There would have been ramifications these days - why it’s an issue now I don’t know but it wasn’t a great image for the game - especially when Hill then cracks open the champagne and cigars with Alan Dicks for a photo opportunity.

Hobo

There would have been ramifications these days - why it’s an issue now I don’t know but it wasn’t a great image for the game - especially when Hill then cracks open the champagne and cigars with Alan Dicks for a photo opportunity.

I bet you were punching the air with the rest of us. Don't forget their sub never saw the script and hit the post.

ccfcway

we've just playing Accrington and forest green and everyone is worried about Luton this weekend.

Imagining playing Sunderland is some way off !

Captain Dart

CJ_covblaze

Users who are viewing this thread