Is it cheating? (1 Viewer)

Covstu

I don't follow the sport but heard on the radio that Hamilton won the GP as his team told Bottas to move aside?
Doesn't seem right to me and I would certainly have been pissed off if I had put on a bet!

Got me thinking, what sports are out there that have this degree of power which can alter outcomes of games? Clearly most can 'influence' the end at some point i.e. Starting the game late (bless Jimmy) or playing to a draw but not many can pick the winner??

Cycling is probably one that could do this i.e. the GC rider takes preference to all of the other riders so is this the same in F1? I think the only difference is that the cycling team have their roles to ensure this happens where as F1 is two racers going for the win?

Seems weird, clearly been going on for years however!

Terry Gibson's perm

I don't follow the sport but heard on the radio that Hamilton won the GP as his team told Bottas to move aside?
Doesn't seem right to me and I would certainly have been pissed off if I had put on a bet!

Got me thinking, what sports are out there that have this degree of power which can alter outcomes of games? Clearly most can 'influence' the end at some point i.e. Starting the game late (bless Jimmy) or playing to a draw but not many can pick the winner??

Cycling is probably one that could do this i.e. the GC rider takes preference to all of the other riders so is this the same in F1? I think the only difference is that the cycling team have their roles to ensure this happens where as F1 is two racers going for the win?

Seems weird, clearly been going on for years however!

It’s one of the two things that make it boring the other being it’s to safe they get paid millions and the danger is minimal

Gazolba

The whole seeding business in tennis tournaments and the World Cup etc. is the same thing really.
It gives the top players an advantage in that they avoid each other in the early rounds.

CJ_covblaze

It’s a team sport so I don’t see the problem with it. Another team did it yesterday and no one has said a word about it.

CJ_covblaze

NorthernWisdom

Quite happy with Bottas being asked to move aside in a sporting sense... although I'd have rather seen Bottas win the race!

It's always happened - they used to hand their cars over to the #1 driver if theirs had broken down, back in the day after all!

How would you police it otherwise, anyway? What happens if you're just quicker than your teammate over the last 20 laps? How do you decide it's genuine racing and not team orders?

Corrado

Once the championship is in the bag for Lewis, I can see him giving a win or two to Bottas - if he is given the opportunity. Lewis is obviously the number 1 driver in the team, but unlike Vettel I havnt heard him bitch and moan over the radio when he feels his team mate is getting preferential treatment. i.e. Slipstream in qualifying

Paul Anthony

Quite happy with Bottas being asked to move aside in a sporting sense... although I'd have rather seen Bottas win the race!

It's always happened - they used to hand their cars over to the #1 driver if theirs had broken down, back in the day after all!

How would you police it otherwise, anyway? What happens if you're just quicker than your teammate over the last 20 laps? How do you decide it's genuine racing and not team orders?

Exactly the point People seem to be overlooking.

Team orders have and always will be a part of the sport. There isn't a team that has ever raced in Formula One that would have done anything different. The simple truth is Bottas isn't in the title fight. Lewis is, and until its secured Mercedes won't take any chances. Same as Ferrari would, same as Ferrari did in the past.

I also think Bottas is rather naive if he didn't expect it to happen.

Liquid Gold

It's like the 100 meters but one of them has had a red bull and the others are on ketamine. They should all drive the same car.

CJ_covblaze

It's like the 100 meters but one of them has had a red bull and the others are on ketamine. They should all drive the same car.

That would have all kinds of implications financially, good and bad. The teams (and a lot of drivers) view the team championship as the bigger prize.

Covstu

It would never happen of course due to sponsorship etc but it’s like most sports where the biggest pocket usually wins

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I remember this happening in the 2002 Austrian GP when Rubens Barrichello and Michael Schumacher were both team mates for Ferrari. Barrichello was leading the race but was ordered over the radio to allow Schumacher to pass him and take the win. There was uproar in the stands as it was so obviously staged. I felt sorry for Barrichello because he had driven so well and earned and deserved the win but was told to surrender his lead. It was just so wrong. That's when I started to lose interest in F1, although I still watch now and again.

Users who are viewing this thread