Italian Football (1 Viewer)

Gazolba

You will learn two things from this video:
Italian finishing is not what it's made out to be, and goal-keepers do sometimes score goals.

CJ_covblaze

It’s been on the slide for years. The standard is nowhere near what it was in the 90s. The crowds are crap, the quality of football is crap and the competitiveness is crap. It’s a moderately better version of Scotland.

Sick Boy

It’s been on the slide for years. The standard is nowhere near what it was in the 90s. The crowds are crap, the quality of football is crap and the competitiveness is crap. It’s a moderately better version of Scotland.

I used to go and watch a fair bit several years ago and have to massively disagree with you. While the quality wasn't quite as good as the PL, it was exciting football and the crowds were much more passionate. It cost a tenner a game as well.

CJ_covblaze

I used to go and watch a fair bit several years ago and have to massively disagree with you. While the quality wasn't quite as good as the PL, it was exciting football and the crowds were much more passionate. It cost a tenner a game as well.

Sorry I meant the numbers not the noise.

Sick Boy

Sorry I meant the numbers not the noise.

I used to watch Helland Verona in Serie B and A and they always had decent crowds. From what I've seen away fans don't travel in as large numbers and a lot support the Milan clubs or Juve, much more so than here with our bigger clubs.

covcity4life

That is very ill informed post cj

-crowds have been an issue due to ultras for a while yes but new stadiums ar ebeing created that are family friendly, also crowds fell due to giant clubs being in the doldrums, Inter milan are now top again and had over 70,000 in attedence for a sunday afternoon game

-The "standard" has seen juventus make 2 out of the last 3 champions league finals, also 3rd place roma beat the english champions 3 nil last month

-competitiveness is crap? Inter top,1 point behind napoli,1pt behind juve,2 points behind roma, 3 behind them lazio

-when is last scottish team to make champions league? when have they filled 85k stadiums for league games?

also they have argubly the BEST striker in world football - Icardi(or higuain), the heir to lionel messi(dybala) ,2 of the best goalkeepers in the world(buffon,handanovic) and still boast an array of top defenders.

i thought better of you cj

p.s the video in question is beautiful as benevento got their first point of the season vs one of world footballs biggest names with a freaking goalkeeper scoring, it should be celebrated not used to put down serie a.

ajsccfc

I'll stand up for Serie A forever, I'd sooner watch it over any other foreign league. Possible that James Richardson had some kind of hypnotic powers back in the day and I'm fully indoctrinated.

covcity4life

I'll stand up for Serie A forever, I'd sooner watch it over any other foreign league. Possible that James Richardson had some kind of hypnotic powers back in the day and I'm fully indoctrinated.

Liaten yo his brilliant tottally football podcast every monday and thursday

Also looks like gazetta podcast coming in january!

Alap i agree i am a football whore and watch italian spanish french and german but serie a easily the best imo

Travs

CJ you're obviously quite a well travelled football fan, so have no intention of abusing you, and your opinion is as valid as the next man, but got to add my weight to the argument for Italian football.

The standard as mentioned above... Juve, Roma, Napoli... Inter on the way back. The likes of Lazio, Fiorentina, Atalanta, Sampdoria, would in my opinion turn the equivalent Premier League teams over most days of the week.

Crowds aren't fantastic throughout, but at the top end Napoli just about filled the San Paolo last Friday, and pack in 35000+ most weeks, Juve sell out 40000 every week, Inter, and to a lesser extent AC Milan, crowds rising over 45000-50000. Would like to see the next tier of teams... Sampdoria, Torino, Bologna, etc... pack a few more in, they don't seem to get too far above 20000 most weeks. But the atmosphere at all Italian games is far and above anything over here. I went to Hellas Verona vs Pro Vercelli last year, 15000 fans in a 40000 capacity stadium, only about 400 away fans tops, and the atmosphere still rose above about 98% of what I've ever experienced in this country. And being at the San Siro for a big game ranks as the finest most intense atmosphere I've experienced at any sporting event ever (even more so than the Rome Derby which comes a very close second). The likes of Atalanta, Bologna, and even some of the lower league teams, they are pure passionate atmospheres.

It is early to say whether this season will remain competitive, but the outlook is promising. It's a fact that Juve have won it 6 years in a row, but it's only been the last dozen or so games where they've pulled away in the last couple of years.

There seems to be a trend for companies offering "all expenses paid" trips to Germany, Holland, etc, for football weekends. But I would heartily recommend people get themselves a flight/hotel in Italy and get to some games. Tickets for just about every game are available on Viagogo and a lot of games also available on Listicket. For most games outside the real biggies you'll be alright getting tickets on the day for a whole lot cheaper than over here.

I have seen as many, in fact far more, entertaining Italian games in the last two seasons, than any other league. The much vaunted play acting and cheating is everywhere now unfortunately, it's no longer an Italian trait only. The football is patient, very few teams even take long goal-kicks, and look for an opening rather than "putting it in the mixer".

I can hand on heart say Italian football, for all its problems, is the best league in the world, and the "matchday" experience which is so missing from English football, is generally fantastic over there.

Sick Boy

Hahaha I used to sit in Piazza Erbe in Verona with a copy of La Gazzetta dello Sport and a coffee. I admit that I started to pretend I was him.

Travs

Definitely about sitting in the Tabacchi Bar with an "arranchia" at 8am reading the 48 page Gazzetta special on the upcoming big game!

I have a fantastic hardback book charting the history of the Sampdoria Ultras. 300 pages of fantastic old photos, tickets, newspaper reports, etc, up until 1994. It's a fantastic book just for the pictures, but now that my Italian is coming on a little, it's even more enjoyable...

Sick Boy

CJ you're obviously quite a well travelled football fan, so have no intention of abusing you, and your opinion is as valid as the next man, but got to add my weight to the argument for Italian football.

The standard as mentioned above... Juve, Roma, Napoli... Inter on the way back. The likes of Lazio, Fiorentina, Atalanta, Sampdoria, would in my opinion turn the equivalent Premier League teams over most days of the week.

Crowds aren't fantastic throughout, but at the top end Napoli just about filled the San Paolo last Friday, and pack in 35000+ most weeks, Juve sell out 40000 every week, Inter, and to a lesser extent AC Milan, crowds rising over 45000-50000. Would like to see the next tier of teams... Sampdoria, Torino, Bologna, etc... pack a few more in, they don't seem to get too far above 20000 most weeks. But the atmosphere at all Italian games is far and above anything over here. I went to Hellas Verona vs Pro Vercelli last year, 15000 fans in a 40000 capacity stadium, only about 400 away fans tops, and the atmosphere still rose above about 98% of what I've ever experienced in this country. And being at the San Siro for a big game ranks as the finest most intense atmosphere I've experienced at any sporting event ever (even more so than the Rome Derby which comes a very close second). The likes of Atalanta, Bologna, and even some of the lower league teams, they are pure passionate atmospheres.

It is early to say whether this season will remain competitive, but the outlook is promising. It's a fact that Juve have won it 6 years in a row, but it's only been the last dozen or so games where they've pulled away in the last couple of years.

There seems to be a trend for companies offering "all expenses paid" trips to Germany, Holland, etc, for football weekends. But I would heartily recommend people get themselves a flight/hotel in Italy and get to some games. Tickets for just about every game are available on Viagogo and a lot of games also available on Listicket. For most games outside the real biggies you'll be alright getting tickets on the day for a whole lot cheaper than over here.

I have seen as many, in fact far more, entertaining Italian games in the last two seasons, than any other league. The much vaunted play acting and cheating is everywhere now unfortunately, it's no longer an Italian trait only. The football is patient, very few teams even take long goal-kicks, and look for an opening rather than "putting it in the mixer".

I can hand on heart say Italian football, for all its problems, is the best league in the world, and the "matchday" experience which is so missing from English football, is generally fantastic over there.

I'm moving back over there this year, if you're ever in Verona for a game, let me know!

Travs

So happy how this thread has gone!

Travs do you mind if i pm you about going to a gamw in italy?

Go for it mate. I'm sure Sick Boy can be equally helpful as a former/current resident, but I can definitely help out from a "tourist" point of view...

ajsccfc

Hahaha I used to sit in Piazza Erbe in Verona with a copy of La Gazzetta dello Sport and a coffee. I admit that I started to pretend I was him.
I did the same in Piazza Bra, it's my favourite photo from that holiday and the wife had absolutely no idea why I was buying a paper I can't read and a sundae I'd never finish!

CJ_covblaze

And I fully respect yours. I’ve just not been impressed by what I’ve seen though. Atmosphere yes, general quality of football no. I’d happily go over again and catch a few games. Anywhere but Turin or Milan though.

Gazolba

<snip>

But they failed to qualify for the World Cup.

Sick Boy

And I fully respect yours. I’ve just not been impressed by what I’ve seen though. Atmosphere yes, general quality of football no. I’d happily go over again and catch a few games. Anywhere but Turin or Milan though.

I'd try and get over to watch Napoli!

Travs

Not been to Turin but would like to go to Supergra and also see a match. Intended to last time, but went down to Genoa for the day instead.

I really like Milan. It's not massively scenic in the same way as Rome/Florence/Verona, but it's still pretty buzzing, easy to get around, the train links to the rest of the country are fantastic, so many other clubs within an hour or two, and of course the San Siro. If you want to pack a few games into a weekend/week, it's probably the best place to base yourself.

I have to admit I'd like to get down to the south, as Sick Boy mentions in the above post. Not been further south than Rome, but would love to get to Naples, Bari, Lecce...

Sick Boy

Not been to Turin but would like to go to Supergra and also see a match. Intended to last time, but went down to Genoa for the day instead.

I really like Milan. It's not massively scenic in the same way as Rome/Florence/Verona, but it's still pretty buzzing, easy to get around, the train links to the rest of the country are fantastic, so many other clubs within an hour or two, and of course the San Siro. If you want to pack a few games into a weekend/week, it's probably the best place to base yourself.

I have to admit I'd like to get down to the south, as Sick Boy mentions in the above post. Not been further south than Rome, but would love to get to Naples, Bari, Lecce...

I love the south of Italy but have to keep quiet about it as my girlfriend is from the deep, deep north. I did live in Sicily for a while though and managed to go to the Sicilian derby in Palermo, it was probably the most intense rivalry I've ever seen!

Travs

I've heard the rivalry is pretty intense between north and south. Especially from the heavily political fan bases like Hellas Verona. And also the Catania vs Palermo Derby, didn't someone get killed a few years ago.

I had hoped to get over for Livorno vs Pisa this year, and Atalanta vs Hellas, but other commitments are making it difficult this season.

Would love to see Parma back in the top division, they're doing ok at the moment.

Sick Boy

I've heard the rivalry is pretty intense between north and south. Especially from the heavily political fan bases like Hellas Verona. And also the Catania vs Palermo Derby, didn't someone get killed a few years ago.

I had hoped to get over for Livorno vs Pisa this year, and Atalanta vs Hellas, but other commitments are making it difficult this season.

Would love to see Parma back in the top division, they're doing ok at the moment.

Yeah Hellas v Napoli was pretty intense, to say the least! As well as the rivalries you also have the friendships between the clubs. I saw Hellas lose to Fiorentina and both teams cheering the opposition's goals and singing each other's songs at the end. It was even more strange as the ultras from each are on opposite sides of the political spectrum.

Travs

Yes the friendships are a bit strange, but not unique to Italy...

Was reading in my above-mentioned book about Sampdoria (bearing in mind my still fairly limited grasp of Italian) it seems they had a friendship with Juventus for part of the 80's and 90's... I had always thought that Juve were one of the teams who had no friendships...

Genoa another fantastic city, absolutely buzzing, but need your wits about you if you go up into the old town and stray into the wrong streets. My ex also told me that she would never go back to Naples again in her lifetime, it absolutely terrified her...!

CJ_covblaze

Milan is one of the worst cities I’ve visited. It’s a horrible place. Run down, graffiti everywhere and a tramp in every doorway. Turin on the other hand is very nice. Bit boring but found it quite a pleasant City to spend a couple of days. Only issue there is the people. It’s full of cretins that want to kill you for being English.

Naples is somewhere I really want to watch a game. Rome too. Will go over there again next year for that.

ajsccfc

I was very briefly in Naples this summer, as far as however much of it you see coming in and out of the airport. Looked a bit grimy, the towns around it similar. Verona though was stunning. Want to see Florence and Siena as well as trying to see as much of Rome as is possible.

Venice has never appealed to me, no point when we're so close to Birmingham

Travs

I will certainly concede that Milan is a very gritty city, and certainly not the rich paradise that gets portrayed most of the time. But most large Italian cities are very similar... stunningly beautiful in parts, but very chaotic and rough around the edges. You'll be in for a bit of a shock if you expect anything different from Rome and Naples (albeit massive areas of central Rome are absolutely stunning).

SBAndy

On the subject of this, I was looking at going to Roma v Milan in late Feb. Would you expect tickets to be relatively difficult to obtain or could they be available for cheap close to the game?

Travs

On the subject of this, I was looking at going to Roma v Milan in late Feb. Would you expect tickets to be relatively difficult to obtain or could they be available for cheap close to the game?

I'd be very surprised if you couldn't get tickets on the weekend of the match. To save any hassle it's possibly worth looking at the likes of viagogo and seeing what they're going for (but add £20 quid or so to the advertised rate, as once you get through to paying, the fees etc get added on).

rondog1973

I was very briefly in Naples this summer, as far as however much of it you see coming in and out of the airport. Looked a bit grimy, the towns around it similar. Verona though was stunning. Want to see Florence and Siena as well as trying to see as much of Rome as is possible.

Florence is indeed stunning and nearby Pisa is very nice too if a bit on the tiny side.

Sick Boy

Milan is one of the worst cities I’ve visited. It’s a horrible place. Run down, graffiti everywhere and a tramp in every doorway. Turin on the other hand is very nice. Bit boring but found it quite a pleasant City to spend a couple of days. Only issue there is the people. It’s full of cretins that want to kill you for being English.

Naples is somewhere I really want to watch a game. Rome too. Will go over there again next year for that.

Turin is a wonderful city and has a very cosmopolitan feel about it. I'm not sure why you think they'd want to kill you for being English? I've always found it very friendly!

Sick Boy

Venice is worth a visit! Both Florence and Siena are stunning. Siena is difficult to get to though and a bit small.

Sick Boy

I did the same in Piazza Bra, it's my favourite photo from that holiday and the wife had absolutely no idea why I was buying a paper I can't read and a sundae I'd never finish!

Haha I used to live a stone's throw away from Piazza Bra. Great times!

Terry Gibson's perm

The bit I saw of Bologna was nice, Padova was very industrial, Rome was very busy and never seemed to quite down which was a bit of a shock after being in the small village of Soligo where my family come from. I went straight from the airport to the stadium when I went to the Milan derby.

Users who are viewing this thread