Jack wilshere on foreign players playing for England (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
I agree that players should be born and bred in the country they play for, it would be random having a Belgian in the England team.

If the rules changed though it would mean Ireland wouldn't have many players.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
......... But we'd still beat England, Nick ;)

CJ_covblaze

It is like cricket though, I.don't understand how we have south Africans playing for England?

Strauss, KP, Jones, the list is a long one. Andrew Symonds arguably one of the best fielders of his generation could have played for us though so it works both ways.

As for football and other sports we wouldn't have the most English Englishman you'd ever find, Terry Butcher if the rules were different. Same as our player of the tournament from the 2006 World Cup or this years' TDF winner.

Covstu

I agree that players should be born and bred in the country they play for, it would be random having a Belgian in the England team.

If the rules changed though it would mean Ireland wouldn't have many players.

I disagree, it is important that they are bred (not born) in England to qualify. Butcher, Barnes etc were all born elsewhere but then brought up in England which I think is fine. I think everyone is slightly jumping the gun on the United kid as he scored two goals and that's it. Yes he looks promising but bit early to say plus the fact that no one has asked him the bloody question! Lets face it he was born in Belgium and brought up there, I would assume he would want to play for either Belgium or one of the bulkan states.

I have no major issue with it, Farah, Peterson and Froome are great examples of how someone can 'change allegiance' and be accepted in our society (and be heroes). Lower teams like Ireland and Scotland do it as they don't have the teams to pick from but I cannot see why we cannot. France and Germany do it!!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Covstu!! "Lower teams like Ireland"?? I'm deeply hurt! I'm so hurt that it hurts. I'm more hurt than if I was born in Hurtstown, in the county of Hurtshire.
:(
***walks away wiping tears from eyes***

Last edited:

blueflint

he's right i can understand the parent bit but thats the limit living in england is not enough

mds

Interesting read.
Annoys the hell out of me, you see it in so many sports! Birth/heritage should be the only criteria. Nothing else should count, remember Zola Budd and the shitstorm that caused, now its so common in track n field, is so wrong. A South African playing cricket for England wrong again. Look forward to the first Frenchman to play for England, can just imagine the headlines.
Lots of changes made lots more coming, just think EU, Bosman, and the screwed up thinking of the beurocrats from Brussels.

CJ_covblaze

Bit late with this but KP's tweets to Wilshire are brilliant!

Users who are viewing this thread