Johan Cruyff on beating richer clubs (1 Viewer)

Calista

"Why couldn't you beat a richer club? I've never seen a bag of money score a goal."

A nice quote from the legend, and one we may need to repeat as a mantra for years to come.

Brylowes

"Why couldn't you beat a richer club? I've never seen a bag of money score a goal."

A nice quote from the legend, and one we may need to repeat as a mantra for years to come.
Yes and over here Ipswich,Forest,Derby,QPR and many others proved it was
true and could be done.
Things definitely changed though and it became much harder for smaller
clubs to compete over a season and in the cups.
In the prem the pendulum has swung back somewhat, the likes of LCFC,
Saints, West Ham and so on can now compete,just now its because
there all Facking loaded.

RIP .great player.

Gazolba

Not quite accurate though. I've seen Messi, Suarez and Bale score lots of goals. And they all cost bags of money. So the quote makes no sense really.

Calista

Not quite accurate though. I've seen Messi, Suarez and Bale score lots of goals. And they all cost bags of money. So the quote makes no sense really.

Money helps when assembling a team, but large amounts can be squandered, and small amounts can be spent well.

Cash plays no part on the pitch. Famous players can be rubbish, unknowns can sometimes outplay them. And since CCFC has been reduced to operating on a shoestring, what choice do we have but to believe in what Cruyff said? It doesn’t make me happy, but it gives me a tiny bit of hope.

J

Jack Griffin

Read the Numbers Game by Chris Anderson on the correlation between budget & league position. Hint, there is one..

Gazolba

Money helps when assembling a team, but large amounts can be squandered, and small amounts can be spent well.

And just as easily large amounts can be spent well and small amounts squandered. The fact is you cannot assemble a world-class team without spending 'bags of money'.

Astute

And just as easily large amounts can be spent well and small amounts squandered. The fact is you cannot assemble a world-class team without spending 'bags of money'.

How much did Leicester spend as they are beating a couple of teams that should be amongst the world class teams.

Gazolba

How much did Leicester spend as they are beating a couple of teams that should be amongst the world class teams.

I don't know how much they spent but they are hardly a world-class team. I predict they will exit the Champions League in the group stages. They have benefited from that fact that the other top teams are all in a transitional state, rebuilding their teams or with new managers at the helm.

Astute

I don't know how much they spent but they are hardly a world-class team. I predict they will exit the Champions League in the group stages. They have benefited from that fact that the other top teams are all in a transitional state, rebuilding their teams or with new managers at the helm.

Rebuilding their teams spending bags of money :D

Users who are viewing this thread