Jon Sharp - BPA (1 Viewer)

NorthernWisdom

Nick

Administrator
I said the other day that something didn't quite sit right with it all.

Not so much the "Political Embargo" stuff, just the Butts situation in general.

Would be interesting to see if Millerchip puts in a clause though, what the clause is and the reasoning behind it. If he does, then wouldn't that mean he thinks the plans / ideas might actually be do-able?

Nick

Administrator
The Telegraph investigating a different angle o_O that blows the agenda theory out of the window, for now.

Sits back and waits for 9 pages of blame to appear :)

Yep, I said the other day this needs digging into! Fair play for that :)

Could maybe try to find out why he would be agreeing with Tim Fisher on the political stuff, as he is obviously somebody else heavily involved with it.

It may not be "political" as in the council, but "internal" politics maybe? Millerchip?

chickentikkamasala

Yep, I said the other day this needs digging into! Fair play for that :)

Could maybe try to find out why he would be agreeing with Tim Fisher on the political stuff, as he is obviously somebody else heavily involved with it.

It may not be "political" as in the council, but "internal" politics maybe?
I do not disagree with you on that theory, I am the first to slate the Telegraph as i feel they have an agenda. Adding balance changes the agenda. Mr Gilbert should now dig deeper, who knows he may get another best selling book o_O

Nick

Administrator
I do not disagree with you on that theory, I am the first to slate the Telegraph as i feel they have an agenda. Adding balance changes the agenda. Mr Gilbert should now dig deeper, who knows he may get another best selling book o_O

If Sharp is quoted publicly agreeing with Fisher about the political stuff then he also feels something is going on.

On the other hand, why would the idea of clause on the lease even come into it if it was just a pipe dream and would never happen?

Could it be Millerchip? If so, why would he want to go out of his way to block it?

Sharp isn't stupid, he isn't going to agree with Fisher based on a 3d drawing either. Maybe not rule out him "playing the game" a bit to get a deal on the lease.

Last edited:

chickentikkamasala

Whilst I would not want to deal with SISU on a personal level due to the history of how they do business with people, Millerchip does 'appear' to have deeper reasons in possibly wanting a clause put in with any transfer of sale of any land lease.

shmmeee

This Miller chip guy doesn't seem to like Sisu much, or at least wants them to act like a decent member of the Coventry community.

Still don't see how you can fit a ground big enough for most fans on that site. 15k max. And I still don't think you'll get it past the neighbour complaints for a while.

If Sisu were smart they'd go for land in the City Centre South site, it seems to have died a death, it's earmarked for entertainment and ripe for redevelopment. Plus it's only about a mile from the Butts.

Nick

Administrator
This Miller chip guy doesn't seem to like Sisu much, or at least wants them to act like a decent member of the Coventry community.

Still don't see how you can fit a ground big enough for most fans on that site. 15k max. And I still don't think you'll get it past the neighbour complaints for a while.

If Sisu were smart they'd go for land in the City Centre South site, it seems to have died a death, it's earmarked for entertainment and ripe for redevelopment. Plus it's only about a mile from the Butts.

Is that down by IKEA?

clint van damme

If Sharp is quoted publicly agreeing with Fisher about the political stuff then he also feels something is going on.

On the other hand, why would the idea of clause on the lease even come into it if it was just a pipe dream and would never happen?

Could it be Millerchip? If so, why would he want to go out of his way to block it?

Sharp isn't stupid, he isn't going to agree with Fisher based on a 3d drawing either. Maybe not rule out him "playing the game" a bit to get a deal on the lease.

he is if he gets involved with sisu.

Nick

Administrator
He seems to want to get into bed with SISU. Given all they've achieved at CCFC I'd question that Nick.

Like I said, does he though? Could be a way to push on a deal for Cov Rugby. He was the one who said about it at their fans forum as well.

Is he really going to see the 3d image and fall head over heels and believe everything they say?

oucho

Without being party to the details, it seems doubtful that if Sharp refuses to put the clause in, and makes clear to Millerchip that he won't go ahead with the purchase with this clause, then Millerchip would say "no thanks" and leave the money on a point of whatever principle he's concerned about. He's more likely to take the cash. From Sharp's POV, the land is worth more if there is CCFC development potential, so it seems to make sense for both parties financial interests to not insert this clause. But if there's an NDA in place, we may never know.....

olderskyblue

Anyone think that Sharp is just another Richardson or Robinson, and hoping to make a quick buck by selling the whole ground etc to SISU? I mean, Tim states they want to own their own ground, and CRFC would then be the tenant?

Calista

I for one would be up for a move to the Butts if it united the fans and put an end to all this shit. It would obviously have to be a proper stadium though, and if Fisher wants to get the fans on board with it he needs to stop speaking in riddles and just put in an application so we can all see the plans and judge for ourselves. You can apply for anything you like, and you don’t need to own the land.

Otis

Why do we necessarily believe what Jon Sharp says?

Seems like when it suits we choose to believe what people say.

I thought Fisher was a liar. If he is and Jon Sharp agrees with him, what does that make Jon Sharp?

I do keep saying, if and it's a very big if, the Butts is ever developed it will only ever be fit for League One and League Two football.

Cov Rugby don't want a big stadium and building there would have such tremendous opposition that we would probably end up with an 8,000 seater stadium at best.

That would suit Cov and it would probably very much suit Sisu too.

Still don't believe it will happen under Sisu's tenure anyway, but if it did it will not be a stadium for a forward thinking, optimistic future where we can challenge at a higher level.

Does need some more digging into though. The CT should follow up on this and press Fisher, Sharp and the council on the matter.

Nick

Administrator
Why do we necessarily believe what Jon Sharp says?

Seems like when it suits we choose to believe what people say.

I thought Fisher was a liar. If he is and Jon Sharp agrees with him, what does that make Jon Sharp?

I do keep saying, if and it's a very big if, the Butts is ever developed it will only ever be fit for League One and League Two football.

Cov Rugby don't want a big stadium and building there would have such tremendous opposition that we would probably end up with an 8,000 seater stadium at best.

That would suit Cov and it would probably very much suit Sisu too.

Still don't believe it will happen under Sisu's tenure anyway, but if it did it will not be a stadium for a forward thinking, optimistic future where we can challenge at a higher level.

Does need some more digging into though. The CT should follow up on this and press Fisher, Sharp and the council on the matter.

And Millerchip.

If Sharp has said he agrees with Fisher, what's in it for him to lie? He has said he doesn't disagree, which would be strange for him to say if he did.

Kingokings204

Seems to me Jon sharpe wants to make a quick buck and if ccfc are there or can play there that's an increase in value or the lease surely?

I wouldn't trust any of them as far as I could throw them.

P.s if we did build a 12-15k stadium that consigns us to league 1-2 football. Not what I want.

Grendel

I thought there was a clause in the sub lease that prevented football being played at the ground.

Once purchase is made the new leaseholder could do what he wants I would have thought.

Otis

And Millerchip.

If Sharp has said he agrees with Fisher, what's in it for him to lie? He has said he doesn't disagree, which would be strange for him to say if he did.
Yeah and Millerchip too!

Otis

And Millerchip.

I didn't say he lied. Could he not have the wool pulled over his eyes though and mistakenly trust what Fisher has said?

Nick

Administrator
I didn't say he lied. Could he not have the wool pulled over his eyes though and mistakenly trust what Fisher has said?
Surely he is clever enough and involved enough in it all to make his own opinion?

It's not as if he is just an outsider reading based on fishers comments.

oucho

I thought there was a clause in the sub lease that prevented football being played at the ground.

Once purchase is made the new leaseholder could do what he wants I would have thought.
Although Cov United are playing there next season I thought?

skybluetony176

Exactly why we shouldn't be assuming that he isn't stupid. When you look at the history of SISU's ownership, couple that to the fact that there isn't a line of organisations and people lining up to work with them but John Sharpe is I don't think it's being cruel to suggest that actually he might be. We'll wait and see.

pipkin73

Anyone think that Sharp is just another Richardson or Robinson, and hoping to make a quick buck by selling the whole ground etc to SISU? I mean, Tim states they want to own their own ground, and CRFC would then be the tenant?

Been stated many times that if a sale happened CRFC would still own the ground. Not read the latest but CRFC don't wnat a 25K stadium, no good for CRFC (maybe we could do a duel CCFC/CRFC price). Buy a CCFC season ticket, get one for CRFC half price and get CRFC attendances upp.
At the moment Wasps have 3 players with CRFC, is this a bribe?
If it is it aint working. as CFRC are only half way up the league. In RU if you lose 3 games promotion is gone (you almost need a 100% record). National league anyway

Nick

Administrator
I thought the restriction was currently that only Rugby could be played, but there was a loophole with something like "other recreational" which is why they wanted to be specific about pro football being blocked?

Could be wrong though!

Nick

Administrator
Exactly why we shouldn't be assuming that he isn't stupid. When you look at the history of SISU's ownership, couple that to the fact that there isn't a line of organisations and people lining up to work with them but John Sharpe is I don't think it's being cruel to suggest that actually he might be. We'll wait and see.

I think it would be a bit naive again to put it all down to him being stupid and believing everything SISU say. We may as well just shout "Ah he is a SISU puppet" and be done with it.

pipkin73

I thought the restriction was currently that only Rugby could be played, but there was a loophole with something like "other recreational" which is why they wanted to be specific about pro football being blocked?

I did read that Nick, but then i seem to remember that it was given/offered to somebody else. Maybe a dream.
But from what i remember it's now ok as long as CRFC own the gound. Been so many discussions on this i am well confused so i am probably wrong.

Sky Blue Kid

Coventry RFC chairman Jon Sharp is in talks with Butts Park land leaseholder Chris Millerchip to purchase his interest in the eight-acre site.

According to Mr Millerchip, those negotiations are currently on course to be completed at the end of this month.

Mr Millerchip had previously insisted he would not allow any redevelopment of the Butts Park site to involve CCFC unless the football club’s owners Sisu participated in peace talks with organisations such as Coventry City Council and Wasps.

Those organisations have suffered a strained relationship with the Sky Blues in the wake of ongoing legal action taken by London hedge fund Sisu in relation to the Ricoh Arena.

But, with Mr Millerchip out of the picture, the opportunity for Coventry RFC and the football club to create a new joint-use stadium could be a possibility.

Things coming to light! Not all "Cut and Dried" that this was all CCC's fault then?

fernandopartridge

The CCS site is currently occupied by a number of shops (some owned by CCC some owned privately). Why would the council permit a football stadium there?

Esoterica

I wonder what a flat pack stadium would look like.
$_35.JPG

chiefdave

Think its pretty clear someone in the background is pulling strings to ensure this doesn't get off the ground. Given Millerchips close relationship with the council and Wasps its hard to imagine its not one of those, if not both, pulling those strings.

To me its the wrong approach. We constantly hear that it would't be possible for a ground suitable for us to be built there and that SISU wouldn't go through with a project like this so why block it? Would be better off if the council, Millerchip and anyone else involved got right behind it and called SISU's bluff.

Skyblueweeman

If this was a potential goer, I'm not sure we'd be limited to 12-15k. I'm not local so don't know the surrounding area and therefore not 100% sure on the logistics or proximity the retirement home previously mentioned.

I can't recall who looked at the footprint of that stadium in Berlin...if whoever it was reads this, can you look at what Derbys iPro stadium and how that would fit on the Butts site. From what I recall, that's on a small (ish) site with some retail developments the other side of some car parking spaces and it didn't have thousands of parking spaces. Keen to see if a stadium like that would fit on the Butts sight.

Just out of interest...

Users who are viewing this thread