King set to join city today! (1 Viewer)

smileycov

Facebook User
seems good, however had this before haven't we!! lets hope so we need him for his goals, but also we seem to be losing a player a day at present. ward is a doubt now!!

SkyBlueKay

Facebook User
Fiiiiinally! Please put pen to paper!

smileycov

Facebook User
if he signs.....£5 on him scoring, and baker doin pre match, theres 2 goals :whistle:

I wouldn't quite go as far you, La La La, but it's about bloody time! Will certainly put needed pressure on Juke, Plattini and Freddy to perform well when they get the chance :)

covladzak

Ok how many times have we heard "tomorrow." Is that the same as I won't cum in your mouth, and I put the payment is in the post yesterday???? :eek::eek::wave:

Tomorrow by 11am i am reliably told it is a done deal, you will see, trust me :)
Marlon's the man to take the Skyblues forward into the promised land, we should all forget what he has done and move on, he has done time and paid for his wrong-doings. :welcome:

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
Tomorrow by 11am i am reliably told it is a done deal, you will see, trust me :)
Marlon's the man to take the Skyblues forward into the promised land, we should all forget what he has done and move on, he has done time and paid for his wrong-doings. :welcome:

Let's hope so

gouldberg

Rumour has it that the hold-up is down to City Link. They don't want to sponsor and/or be associated with a convicted criminal......i said this was going to happen. I really don't blame City Link for this. I'd be concerned for the image of my company if i sponsored a side about to sign a criminal, and looks like they're thinking the same. Bit of business sense, why ain't Ranson got much? (yeahhh, i'll save that one for another time, don't want to suddenly get branded as some hater just for being a concerned fan)

smileycov

Facebook User
Rumour has it that the hold-up is down to City Link. They don't want to sponsor and/or be associated with a convicted criminal......i said this was going to happen. I really don't blame City Link for this. I'd be concerned for the image of my company if i sponsored a side about to sign a criminal, and looks like they're thinking the same. Bit of business sense, why ain't Ranson got much? (yeahhh, i'll save that one for another time, don't want to suddenly get branded as some hater just for being a concerned fan)

YAWN YAWN!! :whistle:

gouldberg

YAWN YAWN!! :whistle:

I love how you were obviously replying to the me not being Ranson's biggest fan at the moment bit as opposed to the rumour of City Link not being pro-King. I actually think that could be an interesting debate, especially if we have any businessmen or people with business experiance on here. I genuinly am sorry i seem all doom and gloom at the moment, i just guess i'm a bit down thanks to the clubs lack of any real forward momentum. I still love the club don't you worry, i just think there are few things that certainly can be questioned at the moment.

tippex9

Ok, this holier than thou attitude makes me uncomfortable, without going into too much detail (because I'm contractually not allowed to) I work in a profession that brings me into daily contact with people in Marlon Kings shoes. You all take this 'I don't want a criminal at my club' stance. Do you realise how many 'Marlon Kings' are out there???

People who have committed lesser, similar and worse crimes that now work behind the bar in your local, in the kitchen at your favourite fast food joint and stacking the shelves in your local supermarket. I see them every day!! Where is your crusade against them? Never drink in that pub, never eat in that place, never shop in that store!

Ignorance is bliss sometimes aint it?! Like it or not the days of shipping convicts off to far flung islands are gone. Thousands leave prison every year and blend back into society. Don't pick on one man just because you feel a moral responsibility when you ignore the irrelevant ones who have probably committed a far worse crime.

Ok, this holier than thou attitude makes me uncomfortable, without going into too much detail (because I'm contractually not allowed to) I work in a profession that brings me into daily contact with people in Marlon Kings shoes. You all take this 'I don't want a criminal at my club' stance. Do you realise how many 'Marlon Kings' are out there???

People who have committed lesser, similar and worse crimes that now work behind the bar in your local, in the kitchen at your favourite fast food joint and stacking the shelves in your local supermarket. I see them every day!! Where is your crusade against them? Never drink in that pub, never eat in that place, never shop in that store!

Ignorance is bliss sometimes aint it?! Like it or not the days of shipping convicts off to far flung islands are gone. Thousands leave prison every year and blend back into society. Don't pick on one man just because you feel a moral responsibility when you ignore the irrelevant ones who have probably committed a far worse crime.

The thing is, unlike thousands of other people who have committed crimes similar or far worse, Marlon King is a professional footballer, a job which inspires adulation from young kids who would give their right arm to be a pro footballer, a job which attracts vast swathes of media attention, and consequently a very public spotlight on footballers' misdemeanours (see one Rooney, Wayne).

I'm not saying it's right, but it's fact: the media are more likely to invest more time in discussing the case of a professional footballer, than one in which a shop-worker was involved- it's only in the case of a really horrific crime (like the mass shootings in Cumbria and Raul Moat) that ordinary people are treated to the intense examinations that footballers occur.

In short, because of this increased media attention in Marlon King (or any other pro footballer, like Lee Bowyer, Lee Hughes e.g.), it's inevitable that more moral arguments are going to surface over a professional footballer and whether he should be given the chance to resume his career/

City Link getting cold feet is a plausible explanation for things being held up: after all, City Link is a high profile company which is looking to overtake mail delivery services like Royal Mail- because of their sponsorship of Coventry City, their profile could be damaged by way of some idiot journalist making the proxy connection: "A criminal plays for Coventry City, and as City Link sponsor Coventry City, ergo City Link must be as bad a company as the criminal playing for Coventry City is a bad man"...something like that, anyway.

There was a similar thing a few months back with WWE, the pro wrestling company.

During their biggest television show, a WWE-contracted wrestler took part in an 'invasion' storyline of the company. In the course of the attack, the wrestler in question 'strangled' a member of staff at ringside using the guy's own tie. Now, whilst initially there was no negative reaction, Mattel, a proud sponsor of the WWE, and makers of plastic toy wrestlers (a big merchandising money maker) saw what happened and immediately feared that by proxy, sales of their products would be threatened if they were seen to be associated with wrestlers who strangle people with their own ties (a particularly connotation especially considering the Chris Benoit murders- look it up on Wikipedia if you don't know what I'm talking about.)

Consequently, the wrestler was fired by the WWE, because of his actions and because of the bad reputation his actions were beginning to attract to the company. This is just a simplistic explanation (lots of other factors were involved), but the point is is that sponsors do have an effects on entertainment businesses: if City Link were to pull out, then Cov would lose a lot of money, and would in the end have to cut the playing staff.

But then again, the wrestler in question has since returned to the WWE, after a decent spell away, so it's entirely possible that if King signs, the whole saga could blow over.

For my part, though, I'm in two minds about the potential signing.

Coventry have wasted a hell of a lot of time on trying to attract King- time we could have spent on trying to secure a half-decent Premier League striker on loan (look at Barnsley's Garry O'Connor move, or Cardiff's acquisition of Andy Keogh/Craig Bellamy), or we could have taken a young foreign striker on, like Derby have done with A. Bueno.

Alternatively, we could have pursued our reputed interest in Anthony Le Fondre, or taken a punt on a proven young striker like Charlie Austin, a guy who deserves a step up to Championship level.

Yet, we've followed none of these options, investing instead on a player approaching the 30 years old mark who has spent considerable amount of time out of the game, due to circumstances that were nothing to do with injury- and, one who if we don't in the end sign him may go to another club altogether!

Plus, his wages appear to be a sticking point-could I suggest that considering King's track record over the years, he should consider forfeiting wages for a while, until his club can trust that he will serve them well, and not cause embarrassment to Coventry City, or whoever he plays for; or is this another case of the double standards tippex9 is railing against? It would save a lot of hassle, either way.

On the other side of the coin, his trial match suggests that he can still find the net, and could hopefully do very well for a club of Coventry's stature- King could adequately challenge all our strikers currently at the club for a place in the first team, encourage them to get their act together, perform well in training and as best they can in matches; he could even help a young striker like Lukas Jutkewicz (spelling?)- whom, whilst he's awesome at penalty taking, is pretty much anonymous on the field otherwise- to improve his game and ultimately the club would be better for that!

I apologise for this long post, but this debate has been raging internally for a long time and I'm sure most City fans are experiencing the same situation, the same problems as I am.

I just hope the whole saga finally ends positively, with a well disciplined Marlon King leading the City attack and scoring dozens of goals, shooting the Sky Blues up the Championship table- well, I can dream, can't I? :p

smileycov

Facebook User
i yawned initialy, beacuse i am bored bored bored by the whole saga. i don't care what people think, i have my opinions they have there's. i think marlon king the footballer will be great for us, but more importantly the only people that matter and count think so too, sign him and lets crack on.

bristol away sat.......that is where my energy is going.

p.s. articulate thread clingan :wave:

sotv1987

The thing is, unlike thousands of other people who have committed crimes similar or far worse, Marlon King is a professional footballer, a job which inspires adulation from young kids who would give their right arm to be a pro footballer, a job which attracts vast swathes of media attention, and consequently a very public spotlight on footballers' misdemeanours (see one Rooney, Wayne).

I'm not saying it's right, but it's fact: the media are more likely to invest more time in discussing the case of a professional footballer, than one in which a shop-worker was involved- it's only in the case of a really horrific crime (like the mass shootings in Cumbria and Raul Moat) that ordinary people are treated to the intense examinations that footballers occur.

In short, because of this increased media attention in Marlon King (or any other pro footballer, like Lee Bowyer, Lee Hughes e.g.), it's inevitable that more moral arguments are going to surface over a professional footballer and whether he should be given the chance to resume his career/

City Link getting cold feet is a plausible explanation for things being held up: after all, City Link is a high profile company which is looking to overtake mail delivery services like Royal Mail- because of their sponsorship of Coventry City, their profile could be damaged by way of some idiot journalist making the proxy connection: "A criminal plays for Coventry City, and as City Link sponsor Coventry City, ergo City Link must be as bad a company as the criminal playing for Coventry City is a bad man"...something like that, anyway.

There was a similar thing a few months back with WWE, the pro wrestling company.

During their biggest television show, a WWE-contracted wrestler took part in an 'invasion' storyline of the company. In the course of the attack, the wrestler in question 'strangled' a member of staff at ringside using the guy's own tie. Now, whilst initially there was no negative reaction, Mattel, a proud sponsor of the WWE, and makers of plastic toy wrestlers (a big merchandising money maker) saw what happened and immediately feared that by proxy, sales of their products would be threatened if they were seen to be associated with wrestlers who strangle people with their own ties (a particularly connotation especially considering the Chris Benoit murders- look it up on Wikipedia if you don't know what I'm talking about.)

Consequently, the wrestler was fired by the WWE, because of his actions and because of the bad reputation his actions were beginning to attract to the company. This is just a simplistic explanation (lots of other factors were involved), but the point is is that sponsors do have an effects on entertainment businesses: if City Link were to pull out, then Cov would lose a lot of money, and would in the end have to cut the playing staff.

But then again, the wrestler in question has since returned to the WWE, after a decent spell away, so it's entirely possible that if King signs, the whole saga could blow over.

For my part, though, I'm in two minds about the potential signing.

Coventry have wasted a hell of a lot of time on trying to attract King- time we could have spent on trying to secure a half-decent Premier League striker on loan (look at Barnsley's Garry O'Connor move, or Cardiff's acquisition of Andy Keogh/Craig Bellamy), or we could have taken a young foreign striker on, like Derby have done with A. Bueno.

Alternatively, we could have pursued our reputed interest in Anthony Le Fondre, or taken a punt on a proven young striker like Charlie Austin, a guy who deserves a step up to Championship level.

Yet, we've followed none of these options, investing instead on a player approaching the 30 years old mark who has spent considerable amount of time out of the game, due to circumstances that were nothing to do with injury- and, one who if we don't in the end sign him may go to another club altogether!

Plus, his wages appear to be a sticking point-could I suggest that considering King's track record over the years, he should consider forfeiting wages for a while, until his club can trust that he will serve them well, and not cause embarrassment to Coventry City, or whoever he plays for; or is this another case of the double standards tippex9 is railing against? It would save a lot of hassle, either way.

On the other side of the coin, his trial match suggests that he can still find the net, and could hopefully do very well for a club of Coventry's stature- King could adequately challenge all our strikers currently at the club for a place in the first team, encourage them to get their act together, perform well in training and as best they can in matches; he could even help a young striker like Lukas Jutkewicz (spelling?)- whom, whilst he's awesome at penalty taking, is pretty much anonymous on the field otherwise- to improve his game and ultimately the club would be better for that!

I apologise for this long post, but this debate has been raging internally for a long time and I'm sure most City fans are experiencing the same situation, the same problems as I am.

I just hope the whole saga finally ends positively, with a well disciplined Marlon King leading the City attack and scoring dozens of goals, shooting the Sky Blues up the Championship table- well, I can dream, can't I? :p

WOW!!!!! good post, slightlty lost halfway through, got the point though, however, if king was to prove a massive success (won't hold my breath) then the advertising potentiel of the premiership must surley be a massive boost to the sponsor, whoever that may be. BRING ON KING!!!!

smileycov

Facebook User

still confident??

wiggy1984

He made a mistake, he done his time. If he learns from his mistakes then he deserves to get on with his life. He should be allowed to make a living for himself. Better scoring for Coventry than against, i say

sy79

If he's in the squad for Preston and scores I'll do back flips through my local, which happens to be the nearest pub to Prestons ground!!! :p

Users who are viewing this thread