Laptop trouble (1 Viewer)

wingy

Hi my 4-5 yr old Acer aspire has been playing up a bit lately
Usually solved by doing a system restore
Started off as Internet connection Issue which I've had before and a change of channel /check netgear etc solves it although a year ago put it in the local shop to be wiped and reloaded
My browser's load but are inactive and can't connect to sites
Windows cannot do troubleshootrepairs
There was a set of updates one of which I believe was problematic having looked online
So exasperated put it in another local shop yestrrday and he's come back saying it needs a new hard drive
Does that sound plausible from the symptoms I've suggested and if so how much should it cost to fix or his he hoping to buy it from me and knock it out second hand?

Nick

Administrator
How much has he quoted? Did he say what size hard drive?

If it was just an update that did it, a full reinstall of windows would sort it or a restore like you did with the disks.

Internet issues could have just been Spyware, do you have issues with popups or anything?

What version of Windows was it? Xp / 7?

wingy

If it was just an update that did it, a full reinstall of windows would sort it or a restore like you did with the disks.

Internet issues could have just been Spyware, do you have issues with popups or anything?

It was 7 Nick not a gen copy I think
No issues with popups as far as Im aware spyware issues don't think so avant were asking for a renewal though
But the original issue just seemed to be connectivity issue of my computer on the network or from neither to my network

wingy

It was 7 Nick not a gen copy I think
No issues with popups as far as Im aware spyware issues don't think so avast were asking for a renewal though
But the original issue just seemed to be connectivity issue of my computer on the network or from netgear to my network

Nick

Administrator
Avant isn't the best. Malware Bytes would have done a better job.

Do other devices on your wireless work? Like phones / tablets etc?

What was he quoting for the work etc?

Nick

Administrator
Ah that's your wireless then. Have you spoken to BT or whoever it is with? There might be some updates for your router (or tell them you want to leave, they will send you a new one). Especially if you have tried changing the channels on it.

I'd get your laptop back for now and get your internet sorted. You could fit a new hard drive yourself (usually about 2 screws) if it does need one.

Has the laptop started making any funny noises, clicking etc?

If your phone won't work on wifi either, it's that causing it. Another test would be to take your laptop to somewhere else where there is wifi and test it there.

wingy

Ah that's your wireless then. Have you spoken to BT or whoever it is with? There might be some updates for your router (or tell them you want to leave, they will send you a new one). Especially if you have tried changing the channels on it.

I'd get your laptop back for now and get your internet sorted. You could fit a new hard drive yourself (usually about 2 screws) if it does need one.

Has the laptop started making any funny noises, clicking etc?

If your phone won't work on wifi either, it's that causing it. Another test would be to take your laptop to somewhere else where there is wifi and test it there.

Yeah but it shows my Network is connected to WiFi. Just that the browsers can't do the search
thanks for the info
how much a hard drive typically cost Nick?

wingy

Is my phones connection to WiFi dependent on my computers /email I'D in any way that's why I thouget It may have gone

Nick

Administrator
It could be connected to wifi (between laptop and netgear) but then the netgear isn't connected to the internet.

Have you got a network cable you could plugin from the netgear to laptop to test if that works?

Ermm it really depends, 4-5 years old it is probably about 250gb - 500gb?

You can get a 500gb laptop hard drive for £29.86 (http://www.ebuyer.com/668553-hgst-travelstar-2-5-7mm-500gb-54k-hdd-0j38065) or about a fiver more if you wanted a bit of a better brand.

Typically if you needed to change it, it is a couple of screws, slide out the old one, slot the new one in and then aquire a windows CD and put that in and run through the install.

Nick

Administrator
Is my phones connection to WiFi dependent on my computers /email I'D in any way that's why I thouget It may have gone

No it should work from your phone to wifi without your laptop being involved.

Which lights are on the netgear? If you have got a model number I can find a pic and see which lights mean what.

wingy

It's a Virgin netgear suprrhub
all three lights are on
Just tried it again on phone and the signal is there it opens this site but I can't interact on it
So seems you're right and the issue is Virgins end If that is It thanx for the info

Nick

Administrator
It's a Virgin netgear suprrhub
all three lights are on
Just tried it again on phone and the signal is there it opens this site but I can't interact on it
So seems you're right and the issue is Virgins end If that is It thanx for the info
Give them a ring, it might be the box. Does it go through the phone or is it cable?

Try and blag a new one, give it the "sky will Sort me out" line ;)

What happens when the site opens? Can you get to say bbc?

bulko

Im on virgin superhub too and have wifi problems yet it dhiws strong conection on my phone and devices but wont connect what i do is push a paper clip in tiny hole on the back near the top hold it in until all lights go out ghen come bsck on in other words re set it . Works for me hope that helps.

wingy

Im on virgin superhub too and have wifi problems yet it dhiws strong conection on my phone and devices but wont connect what i do is push a paper clip in tiny hole on the back near the top hold it in until all lights go out ghen come bsck on in other words re set it . Works for me hope that helps.

We'll well well thank you Bulko
Having used the various buttons on it and put in the key several times with the, laptop and failed It seems It was an issue with netgear
Your simple solution has done the trick as I'm now posting on my phone through WiFi
So once again thanks Nick and thanks Bulko:)

bulko

We'll well well thank you Bulko
Having used the various buttons on it and put in the key several times with the, laptop and failed It seems It was an issue with netgear
Your simple solution has done the trick as I'm now posting on my phone through WiFi
So once again thanks Nick and thanks Bulko:)

No problem you might have to do it at regular intervals i do.

wingy

Oh and as I suspected the lad in the shop was trying to have me over
So my advice avoid the second hand phone / Computer/Repair shop on corner of Stoke Row Clay Lane

RegTheDonk

If it was your hard drive you would probably get other problems like random freezes, reboots, blue screens, rather than not being able to connect to the net. Glad you're all sorted now :claping hands:

wingy

If it was your hard drive you would probably get other problems like random freezes, reboots, blue screens, rather than not being able to connect to the net. Glad you're all sorted now :claping hands:

Yeah thanks Reg ,on It now .

There was none of that ,but When I walked In tonight he started off telling me he'd gone ahead and done it ,so I blew my top and he said he wouldn't charge me .

Which was very magmanimous considering It wasn't the Issue and he didn't actually do It .

So I paid what I agreed when I dropped It off for a clean up and an Install of genuine windows .

Nick

Administrator
Glad it is working now. I would still ring Virgin about your superhub, there might be an update for it to fix it keep going funny.

Users who are viewing this thread