Last time we we're in Division Four, now Three: (1 Viewer)

Voice_of_Reason

1958/59. We finished second behind Port Vale and we're promoted. Other teams in that division we're - Southport. Barrow. Aldershot. Oldham. Gateshead. Hartlepool. Crews. Workington. Darlington. Watford. Bradford Park Avenue. Chester. Torquay. Gillingham. Carlisle. Milwall. Northampton. Crystal Palace. Walsall. Exeter. Shrewsbury. York. Our team squad was- Frank Kletzenbauer. Peter Wyer. Alf Wood. Ray Straw. George Stewart. Graham Spratt. Dave Smith. Brian Shepherd. Ken Satchwell. Jim Sanders. Reg Paddy Ryan. Jimmy Rodgers. Brian Nicholas. Arthur Lightening. Roy Kirk. Mick Kearns. Eric Jones. Ray Hill. Peter Hill. Brian Hill. Lol Harvey. Vernon Griffiths. Ron Farmer. Alan Daley. George Curtis. Jack Boxley. Fran Austin.

I was fortunate enough to see every match that season, home and away. That team would trounce today's team.

RFC

1958/59. We finished second behind Port Vale and we're promoted. Other teams in that division we're - Southport. Barrow. Aldershot. Oldham. Gateshead. Hartlepool. Crews. Workington. Darlington. Watford. Bradford Park Avenue. Chester. Torquay. Gillingham. Carlisle. Milwall. Northampton. Crystal Palace. Walsall. Exeter. Shrewsbury. York. Our team squad was- Frank Kletzenbauer. Peter Wyer. Alf Wood. Ray Straw. George Stewart. Graham Spratt. Dave Smith. Brian Shepherd. Ken Satchwell. Jim Sanders. Reg Paddy Ryan. Jimmy Rodgers. Brian Nicholas. Arthur Lightening. Roy Kirk. Mick Kearns. Eric Jones. Ray Hill. Peter Hill. Brian Hill. Lol Harvey. Vernon Griffiths. Ron Farmer. Alan Daley. George Curtis. Jack Boxley. Fran Austin.

I was fortunate enough to see every match that season, home and away. That team would trounce today's team.

'Happy Days' for me a very young lad who followed his home team the 'Bantams', didn't enjoy being part of the FL restructuring that put us there from Division 3 (South) but just felt that the only way was up.

Still regularly meet up with 3 or 4 of those great guys, however not as lucky as you but attended most home games but just one away, at Port Vale

The only way is UP!

Voice_of_Reason

'Happy Days' for me a very young lad who followed his home team the 'Bantams', didn't enjoy being part of the FL restructuring that put us there from Division 3 (South) but just felt that the only way was up.

Still regularly meet up with 3 or 4 of those great guys, however not as lucky as you but attended most home games but just one away, at Port Vale

The only way is UP!
Those were the days! I was 17 years old that season.

Irish Sky Blue

Must have been great to follow that team. Mentioned on another thread today that I had been looking at stats for that season. Several gates over 20k the largest of which was 28k for the visit of Port Vale. City had the biggest gates in the division. So you will be one of the few City fans that have seen three promotions and four relegations (counting this season). My tally stands at one promotion and now 3 relegations.

Terry Gibson's perm

Must have been great to follow that team. Mentioned on another thread today that I had been looking at stats for that season. Several gates over 20k the largest of which was 28k for the visit of Port Vale. City had the biggest gates in the division. So you will be one of the few City fans that have seen three promotions and four relegations (counting this season). My tally stands at one promotion and now 3 relegations.

Only ever seen relegations

Astute

They might not be able to take their zimmer frames onto the pitch. But I agree. They would still beat our present players.

Irish Sky Blue

Just thinking too that travel to some of those places in the days before motorways would not have been easy. Did you travel by car or train? How long did it take to get to places like Barrow, Carlisle, Workington, Gateshead and Torquay? The other thing that is quite scary about this list bearing in mind our illustrious owners is how many of those clubs have been or are now outside of the league. By my count 2 have been relegated and come back. Ten I think are still outside the league. I think three of those have been liquidated and reformed.

Voice_of_Reason

Just thinking too that travel to some of those places in the days before motorways would not have been easy. Did you travel by car or train? How long did it take to get to places like Barrow, Carlisle, Workington, Gateshead and Torquay? The other thing that is quite scary about this list bearing in mind our illustrious owners is how many of those clubs have been or are now outside of the league. By my count 2 have been relegated and come back. Ten I think are still outside the league. I think three of those have been liquidated and reformed.
Mostly by car in an old Ford Popular with friends- Took hours ! Yes, some names there which are no more

1940oldfive

started watching in the early fifty's so can remember most of them, would be nice to have a midfield of Nicholas Curtis Farmer and please can we have Lightening back in goal. thanks for the memory's.

dutchman

I didn't get to watch City play until we moved to Gosford Street in the 1960s so watching us play in the fourth division will be a new experience for me. Mrs dutchman may have seen them play though as she's lived here longer than I have and her family are big city fans. I'd ask her if she was speaking to me.

scottccfc

I didn't get to watch City play until we moved to Gosford Street in the 1960s so watching us play in the fourth division will be a new experience for me. Mrs dutchman may have seen them play though as she's lived here longer than I have and her family are big city fans. I'd ask her if she was speaking to me.
Done ruin the peace and quiet:)

Voice_of_Reason

started watching in the early fifty's so can remember most of them, would be nice to have a midfield of Nicholas Curtis Farmer and please can we have Lightening back in goal. thanks for the memory's.
You started watching about the same time as me! How about Roy Kirk in defence as well?

hotrod

Anybody remember Ray Sambrook? brilliant winger but lazy,sometimes if he was not getting a touch of the ball he would sit down by the touch line.

Transferred to Man City if I remember correctly.

Regards.

phildownunder

You beat me to it VOR. I was going to put up a thread called "Full Circle" as the current plight of the club takes me back to more or less where I started following City. Actually I went a few times before that Div 4 season with my dad but started going more often that season and sometimes went with a school mate.
I was 13 so it`s interesting to see that there are one or two on here even older than I am !
Great memories with the names you listed. My rather sus memory tells me that Ray Straw was the one knocking in the goals that season. Would I be right ? I only have hazy memories of those times now but I do remember some almost unbelievable saves by Arthur Lightening at times. Pity he got involved in some shady stuff and if memory serves left under a cloud. Seemed such a waste of his talent. Mind you footballers weren`t very well paid in those days ....
Well RFC, things weren`t too good when we met and went to the Ricoh in 2010 but they`re a bloody sight worse now ! Do you still go up with Bob W. ?
If this really is "full circle" we`ll come back up straight away like we did back then, but like nearly everyone else I rather doubt that`s going to happen.

blueflint

I too saw every game some names in that players list would walk into most teams in championship never mind trounce our current mob

Voice_of_Reason

You beat me to it VOR. I was going to put up a thread called "Full Circle" as the current plight of the club takes me back to more or less where I started following City. Actually I went a few times before that Div 4 season with my dad but started going more often that season and sometimes went with a school mate.
I was 13 so it`s interesting to see that there are one or two on here even older than I am !
Great memories with the names you listed. My rather sus memory tells me that Ray Straw was the one knocking in the goals that season. Would I be right ? I only have hazy memories of those times now but I do remember some almost unbelievable saves by Arthur Lightening at times. Pity he got involved in some shady stuff and if memory serves left under a cloud. Seemed such a waste of his talent. Mind you footballers weren`t very well paid in those days ....
Well RFC, things weren`t too good when we met and went to the Ricoh in 2010 but they`re a bloody sight worse now ! Do you still go up with Bob W. ?
If this really is "full circle" we`ll come back up straight away like we did back then, but like nearly everyone else I rather doubt that`s going to happen.
Yes, Ray Straw goal machine! Martin MacDonald an uncompromising centre half, Jack Boxley on the wing. Reg Paddy Ryan striker signed from West From. Arthur Lightening - fantastic keeper. Feel like crying now!

blueflint

I remember Arthur buying an American car and giving us kids a run around the block in it
I lived king Richard st then good times.we sneaked in for free most home games as there
was a gap under the gates at swan lane end

RFC

Still Lunch with Bob, Brian, Lol & Ronnie on a regular basis. Great company and some wonderful banter! PUSB

The Reverend Skyblue

sorry to be pedantic VOR but its League two next year not as you say 'the fourth now the third division'.
I'm strangely looking forward to next season. talking with old Wolves and Sheff Utd fans who also hit the almighty low of the bottom division ,and a lot said their favourite season was when they went down to the bottom rung.
Old style grounds where the away fans can stand ,and we actually may win more than five games all season, as long as we rid of the deadwood of this season which is virtually all the team.
Can you imagine this happening at the moment;
  • winning back to back games.
  • As I said above we could win more than 5 games in a whole season
  • Having a proper first team keeper and back up
  • players who give everything, give all for the shirt
  • standing again at games
  • scoring regularly
  • conceding less
  • wonderful away days, mostly
  • defending as a team
  • the odd attack now and then
  • we actually get points
  • hopefully not cut adrift with three months of the season still to go
Most, if not all of this ,could happen next season

Last edited:

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern

blueflint

Great memories VOR. I saw my first game on 3rd October 1964. I was 11 years old. We lost at home to Huddersfield 3-2
Team that day was:
Goal Keeper - Dave Meeson
Defender - Mick Kearns
Defender/Centre back -
George Curtis
Full back -
Dietmar Bruck
Full back -
Billy Tedds
Midfielder -
Ernie Machin
Wing half -
Ron Farmer
Outside right -
Billy Humphries
Centre forward -
George Hudson
Winger -
John Mitten
Inside forward - John Smith
Goal scorers were George Curtis and Ron Farmer (pen)

some good players there remember most of them but my memory not as good. as it was

Users who are viewing this thread