Late winners (1 Viewer)

speedie87

I said on here after the Chesterfield match that we need to get in the habit of scoring late winners in tight games if we are going to get promoted.

Well unless I’m forgetting a match I think we are still yet to score a match winning goal late on in game?

In fact when was the last time we scored in injury time to go from drawing a match to win it?

Londonccfcfan

Don’t remember a late goal all of last season.

Probably Adam Armstrong vs Peterborough

2 nil down at half time....2-1 down with about 15 mins to go. Won 3-2.

cov4theprem

There was one in the fa cup away at Barnsley when we came from a goal down to win 2-1 (Clarke) but that was almost 3 years ago

Seamus1

This won't have been the last time, but I remember being 2-0 down against Middlesbrough at the Ricoh, maybe 8 years ago, and scoring twice in the last 8 minutes...Jutkiewicz got one I believe to salvage a draw.

I've never celebrated a point so much in my life!

On the other hand, I remember in 2004/05 season being 2-0 up against Derby County after 88 minutes, to only go and then get a draw

Esoterica

I don't see this as much of an issue. We're not drawing huge amounts of games - only 5 all season (25%) and 2 of those were in the last 2 games. In fact our scoring record in the 2nd half of games is relatively good, especially the final 15 minutes where we have scored 7 of our 21 goals.
goalsscored.png
For me the issue is still about scoring in the first half of games. 1 goal in the first 15 minutes of matches (thanks to the corner flag vs Crewe) and 6 in total in the first half in 20 games are very ugly stats. In comparison Luton have scored 23 goals (6 in 0-15mins) in the first half of games, more than we have in total.

Getting the first goal is very important to us - we've only conceded one equaliser all season vs Stevenage and when we get 1 goal, we tend to get more. 7 of our 9 wins have seen us score at least twice which demonstrates how conceding a goal opens teams up. On the other side of that same coin, in the 11 games where we have dropped points (5 draws, 6 defeats) we've only scored 3 goals.

Ironically losing 2 of our better players in Jones and Kelly to injury might just help us score more/earlier as it has forced Robins into a tactical re-think and since that we've already started to see signs of a shift away from the patterns of earlier in the league season but it has consequences too. e.g. The last 2 games have been the only score draws of the season, we conceded the first equaliser of the season vs Stevenage, we conceded only our 2nd goal at home in the first half of a game vs Crawley. Will be interesting to see how the Morecambe game pans out - they concede regularly at home without ever getting hammered but have the worst attack in the league.

Users who are viewing this thread