League Cup draw (1 Viewer)

CJ_covblaze

Live from Beijing, 4:15am UK time on Thursday. Bet they will try to move the final over there in the not too distant future.

Otis

Got to be a Newport to Coventry via Nuneaton thing, only on a grander scale.

CJ_covblaze

SkyblueBazza

And a nice jolly jaunt with plenty of food & drink whilst promoting British football over there - huge market potential so the powers that be want a slice of their cash. Can't blame them for that I guess.
It will of course mean that player's demand increases so do the transfer fees, & pay. Soon some of these top players will be earning more in a week than the collective paying customers that turn up to watch them!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Whatever happened to the golden days of going to a footy match? Wearing your scarf and going into the ground through the turnstiles on a Saturday and waiting for kick-off at 3.00pm. Getting a hot drink from one of the guys walking up and down the aisles with a big urn strapped to his back! Then after the game, go home and watch Match of the Day in the evening and more highlights on ITV the next day. If you couldn't go, then you could wait until 4.50 when all the results were in and watch as the Pools scores were read out on TV! Yep, I'm an old fart, but I still remember those days. Not like now, when you have to take out a 2nd mortgage to pay for a couple of season tickets or pay an extortionate amount to Sky TV to watch numerous live games, probably between teams that you are not the slightest bit interested in.
Ah well, now where did I leave me zimmer frame?

Covstu

Whatever happened to the golden days of going to a footy match? Wearing your scarf and going into the ground through the turnstiles on a Saturday and waiting for kick-off at 3.00pm. Getting a hot drink from one of the guys walking up and down the aisles with a big urn strapped to his back! Then after the game, go home and watch Match of the Day in the evening and more highlights on ITV the next day. If you couldn't go, then you could wait until 4.50 when all the results were in and watch as the Pools scores were read out on TV! Yep, I'm an old fart, but I still remember those days. Not like now, when you have to take out a 2nd mortgage to pay for a couple of season tickets or pay an extortionate amount to Sky TV to watch numerous live games, probably between teams that you are not the slightest bit interested in.
Ah well, now where did I leave me zimmer frame?
I agree, but this isn't the type of supporter they are looking for. They want to supporter who will take their kids, spend hundreds on kit and other merchandise shite, spend £50 on pies, pop, crisps and then come back again for more OR the corporate supporter who pays thousands to sit in a wee glass box to watch the game.

Covstu

Live from Beijing, 4:15am UK time on Thursday. Bet they will try to move the final over there in the not too distant future.
I think this all goes back to the extra game being played abroad doesn't it? That one fixture that is played globally so instead of Man Utd playing Man City in Manchester it will be in Beijing! Again this is what is wrong with football, I know its a global game but get your own fecking teams!

CJ_covblaze

I think this all goes back to the extra game being played abroad doesn't it? That one fixture that is played globally so instead of Man Utd playing Man City in Manchester it will be in Beijing! Again this is what is wrong with football, I know its a global game but get your own fecking teams!

It appears that way. Won't ever go away too. Celtic v Dundee in the league was going to be played in New York last season. It was shelved though as there was "a lack of local interest". For the record I don't believe that for one minute. How many people with an Irish background live in that area? What are Boston's NBA team called?

Covstu

It appears that way. Won't ever go away too. Celtic v Dundee in the league was going to be played in New York last season. It was shelved though as there was "a lack of local interest". For the record I don't believe that for one minute. How many people with an Irish background live in that area? What are Boston's NBA team called?
Hardly a top draw game though!

CJ_covblaze

Terry Gibson's perm

I would imagine the draw will get massive viewing figures in the uk of about 12

SkyblueBazza

I agree, but this isn't the type of supporter they are looking for. They want to supporter who will take their kids, spend hundreds on kit and other merchandise shite, spend £50 on pies, pop, crisps and then come back again for more OR the corporate supporter who pays thousands to sit in a wee glass box to watch the game.
No...they want ANYONE in a far off land who has lots of spare cash to watch on tv to keep feeding the tv deals...& if they can make enough from that they then can increase prices beyond us ranting riff-faff & keep the stadiums for the more wealthy, who of course have much more decorum.

CJ_covblaze

Scrap the League Cup.

Something needs to happen to both the League Cup and FA Cup. A Champions League place to the winners of the FAC would probably sort that one out. Not sure what to do about the issues in the LC.

Terry Gibson's perm

Something needs to happen to both the League Cup and FA Cup. A Champions League place to the winners of the FAC would probably sort that one out. Not sure what to do about the issues in the LC.

Scrap league cup and for fa cup bring in rules like in the jpt with team changes, no replay, semi finals away from Wembley, why do the early rounds have a replay but get to the later no replay it's stupid.

CJ_covblaze

Scrap league cup and for fa cup bring in rules like in the jpt with team changes, no replay, semi finals away from Wembley, why do the early rounds have a replay but get to the later no replay it's stupid.

A lower league club getting a draw and going back to a Championship stadium is like them winning the lottery. Replays should remain until at least the 5th round.

chiefdave

The trick is you've got to have every team in the competition taking it seriously and wanting to win. Best bet is probably CL place for FA Cup winners. Then I'd either take CL or maybe even all PL teams out of the league cup.

Terry Gibson's perm

A lower league club getting a draw and going back to a Championship stadium is like them winning the lottery. Replays should remain until at least the 5th round.

Can't agree on this it is a tournament you enter to win not to fund teams, when we played Worcester I didn't go as I thought it would be a poor spectacle, was overpriced to help support a team I don't care about.

You either have replays all the way including the final or none at all for me.

Covstu

No...they want ANYONE in a far off land who has lots of spare cash to watch on tv to keep feeding the tv deals...& if they can make enough from that they then can increase prices beyond us ranting riff-faff & keep the stadiums for the more wealthy, who of course have much more decorum.

Fair point

Covstu

The trick is you've got to have every team in the competition taking it seriously and wanting to win. Best bet is probably CL place for FA Cup winners. Then I'd either take CL or maybe even all PL teams out of the league cup.
For me I would have everyone out of the league cup who is playing in Europe but keep the europa spot for winning it. You then may get teams take the Europa league a little more seriously too

Covstu

Can't agree on this it is a tournament you enter to win not to fund teams, when we played Worcester I didn't go as I thought it would be a poor spectacle, was overpriced to help support a team I don't care about.

You either have replays all the way including the final or none at all for me.
From a fans perspective of course not but the FA cup is synonymous with watching the underdog triumph against the big boys and replays give that. It's simple if you don't want a replay don't put out an under strength team in the first place with prem teams do time and time again

Users who are viewing this thread