Lewis Hamilton (1 Viewer)

tommydazzle

I'm not into F1 at all but I'm wondering why this guy, who has exceeded all past Brits, does not seem to be well liked. We used to revere drivers like Jackie Stewart, James Hunt, Graham Hill etc but this bloke's success doesn't seem to elevate him to greatness. Might just because I'm not into it and the F1 fans are great admirers and will put me right on this?

olderskyblue

He's brilliant. the best British driver ever, and one of worlds best ever.

CJ_covblaze

Very few of our sports people are/have been in his league. Steve Redgrave, Andy Murray, Joey Dunlop, Phil Taylor, Ronnie O’Sullivan, James Anderson, Bobby Moore, Martin Johnson, Tanni Grey Thompson, Daley Thompson. Can’t think of many more than that.

pastythegreat

He's fantastic. Have always loved watching him drive. I've always thought he was one of the best drivers.
He's been helped the last few seasons by having a car that was streets ahead of all the competitors, but even when red bull were dominant he still held his own and certainly was better than Jensen Button (driving the same car). Even now he has red bull and Ferrari nipping at his heels he's shown he can still out drive them. Fantastic driver. It'll be a long long time until another brit dominates F1 like he has

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

He's an exceptional driver - extremely competitive but has the talent to back it up. I think the greatest thing about him is how teams have improved with him there. When other drivers have changed teams they've lost a bit of competitiveness or just fall off a cliff whereas Hamilton seems to drag them up.

But having said that there's something about him that just can't make me 'like' him.

rob9872

Very few of our sports people are/have been in his league. Steve Redgrave, Andy Murray, Joey Dunlop, Phil Taylor, Ronnie O’Sullivan, James Anderson, Bobby Moore, Martin Johnson, Tanni Grey Thompson, Daley Thompson. Can’t think of many more than that.

Possibly could add a bunch of cyclists to the list above, but drug slurs tarnish the entire sport.

Unless you're in football then you need to have a real character to shine alongside greatness. Despite all in your list being fantastic achievers, I'd say all respected, but only Daley Thompson and Ronnie O are revered for their persona as much as their talent. Similarly others despised in equal measures because of their lack of it (eg Murray) or their arrogance (eg Taylor).

Nick

Administrator
F1 doesn't really get the attention it used to (unless I am just immune to it). When I was younger it seemed to be more mainstream.

I reckon if Murray won Wimbledon every year nobody would really mention it that much, he did once after years of trying.

fernandopartridge

I'm not into F1 at all but I'm wondering why this guy, who has exceeded all past Brits, does not seem to be well liked. We used to revere drivers like Jackie Stewart, James Hunt, Graham Hill etc but this bloke's success doesn't seem to elevate him to greatness. Might just because I'm not into it and the F1 fans are great admirers and will put me right on this?
He's a tax dodging droid. He's got the charisma of a lamppost

Covstu

Us brits simply like to bash people who are successful, there always seems to be an issue with our ‘greats’ and I think that is press orientated.
As for F1, I think it’s a poor era which seems to be dominated by one constructor which doesn’t make good viewing. I used to watch it a lot in the 90s but it just doesn’t seem to be much of a watch of the last few years but to defend Hamilton he can only beat what’s in front of him and he is doing a fine job.

pastythegreat

Us brits simply like to bash people who are successful, there always seems to be an issue with our ‘greats’ and I think that is press orientated.
As for F1, I think it’s a poor era which seems to be dominated by one constructor which doesn’t make good viewing. I used to watch it a lot in the 90s but it just doesn’t seem to be much of a watch of the last few years but to defend Hamilton he can only beat what’s in front of him and he is doing a fine job.
As long as I can remember F1 has ALWAYS had 1 particular team that has dominated while everyone else has competed between themselves. It was always Ferrari (Schumacher) when I was growing up. Then Brawn GP had a spell, then Red Bull dominated for years, the Mercedes had a good run, its a lot more open this season with 3 teams in the running.

Covstu

As long as I can remember F1 has ALWAYS had 1 particular team that has dominated while everyone else has competed between themselves. It was always Ferrari (Schumacher) when I was growing up. Then Brawn GP had a spell, then Red Bull dominated for years, the Mercedes had a good run, its a lot more open this season with 3 teams in the running.

Always remember Hill v Schu when I was growing up!

W

westcountry_skyblue

Find the sport very boring but each to their own,I went once freebie thing never been so bored.
They should put the shit drivers in the best cars and vice versa make it a bit more watchable.

Liquid Gold

Think it's just because it used to be on one of the few terrestrial TV channels so people gave it more attention. Now with the saturation of sports available to everyone many have discovered that they don't actually give a shit.

Nick

Administrator
Think it's just because it used to be on one of the few terrestrial TV channels so people gave it more attention. Now with the saturation of sports available to everyone many have discovered that they don't actually give a shit.

I bet if there was an anglo italian cup now nobody would care. I used to love watching that.

Liquid Gold

I bet if there was an anglo italian cup now nobody would care. I used to love watching that.
UEFA missed an opportunity by not bringing back the cup winners cup when introducing a 3rd European competition. That would bring interest back into the FA cup and provide some mad games.

tommydazzle

UEFA missed an opportunity by not bringing back the cup winners cup when introducing a 3rd European competition. That would bring interest back into the FA cup and provide some mad games.
Agree with that. I also remember there used to be a really good televised 5 a side competition which showcased the skilful players in the old First Division.

Covstu

I used to like the cup winners cup as it brought out some random fixtures but I think with the champions league, it wouldn’t have legs now. Even the europa league isn’t popular so cannot think why a 3rd competition would be a success (apart from cash)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I remember when I was in a kids home in the 60's, (about 1965) we were treated to a day out at Oulton Park racing. All I remember about the day was a film crew shooting crowd scenes for the up-coming film release called "Grand Prix" starring James Garner, and at the end of the racing, we were driven in our coach around the track, by the great Jack Brabham.

Users who are viewing this thread