Litter (1 Viewer)

Malaka

Am I just a miserable old fart or are other people ashamed of Coventry?

I do a lot of driving in and out of Cov and the roads especially A45 and A46 have litter all along the verges, plastic bags in the trees, bottles of piss along the barriers and at roundabouts.
I used to live in Elgar Rd and walk my dog along the river by Purcell Rd, Shopping trollies and all sorts of crap thrown in the river and yet it is a lovely piece of land, I have seen small roach and pike in there. It is the same at the back of Caludon Castle school.
Personally, I think that people who have been sentenced to community sentences should clean up and anyone caught littering should have to do 100 hrs cleaning up.
Rant over.

Otis

I do a lot of driving in and out of Cov and the roads especially A45 and A46 have litter all along the verges, plastic bags in the trees, bottles of piss along the barriers and at roundabouts.
I used to live in Elgar Rd and walk my dog along the river by Purcell Rd, Shopping trollies and all sorts of crap thrown in the river and yet it is a lovely piece of land, I have seen small roach and pike in there. It is the same at the back of Caludon Castle school.
Personally, I think that people who have been sentenced to community sentences should clean up and anyone caught littering should have to do 100 hrs cleaning up.
Rant over.
Not just Coventry I'm afraid. It's everywhere.

The education system needs an overhaul. They teach children about litter, Year 1,2 3, 4, but then suddenly stop. Stop talking about it around Year 5 and 6 and then by Year 7 kids seemingly start dropping litter.

This is all from my own experience. My daughter is now Year 7.

Nick

Administrator
I can't stand it when people throw litter, especially when they just open something and drop the litter as if they have no care in the world.

I also think the fact bins get emptied once in a blue moon now doesn't help, a lot of it also comes from full bins that has blown in the wind.

J

Jack Griffin

Part of the problem is that allegedly 'responsible adults' litter too. I always pick up and bin anything blowing around near my house. If everybody did the same things would improve,.

Otis

Part of the problem is that allegedly 'responsible adults' litter too. I always pick up and bin anything blowing around near my house. If everybody did the same things would improve,.
Can you move in next door to me. I'd love someone to come and pick up all my litter.

LastGarrison

I think a Law should be passed that if you see anyone throwing a cigarette butt out of a car window then you should be allowed to force them to the side of the road and repeatedly punch them in the throat.

Otis

I can't stand it when people throw litter, especially when they just open something and drop the litter as if they have no care in the world.

I also think the fact bins get emptied once in a blue moon now doesn't help, a lot of it also comes from full bins that has blown in the wind.
As I said on a thread a while back, a neighbour across the road was standing in his garden drinking a can of fizzy pop. When he finished he simply crushed the can and threw the empty can over his shoulder into his own garden.

What chance have we got if people are happy to throw litter into their own gardens let alone on to public paths and pavements and parks!

Nick

Administrator
As I said on a thread a while back, a neighbour across the road was standing in his garden drinking a can of fizzy pop. When he finished he simply crushed the can and threw the empty can over his shoulder into his own garden.

What chance have we got if people are happy to throw litter into their own gardens let alone on to public paths and pavements and parks!

Yeah, I really don't get that.

stupot07

Agreed. Have never dropped litter, even as a kid I used to have pockets full of sweet wrappers, crisp packets, etc.

And you're right about 'responsible adults' was at the arena shopping centre on Sunday, and saw a few wasps fans dropping litter as they were walking through the shopping centre, and I thought rugby had a better clientele of supporter. **

** I'm sure a lot of cov fans also drop litter...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

fernandopartridge

Rant over.

Agree 100%. I don't think 100 hours is enough. 1 day / 8 hours per week for a year.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Must admit, the Isle of Wight is pretty hot on litter picking. The streets are really clean and the litter bins seem to be emptied on a daily basis. It's the filthy bastards who don't pick up their dog's shit that really pisses me off! I have a small Chihuahua and his crap is about the size of my little finger, but I still pick it up in a bag and put it in a bin.

Otis

Must admit, the Isle of Wight is pretty hot on litter picking. The streets are really clean and the litter bins seem to be emptied on a daily basis. It's the filthy bastards who don't pick up their dog's shit that really pisses me off! I have a small Chihuahua and his crap is about the size of my little finger, but I still pick it up in a bag and put it in a bin.
Yeah, but maybe that's the point, you have a small dog. Maybe if you had a great big elephant you wouldn't be quite so keen to bend down to pluck that little beauty up.
Agree 100%. I don't think 100 hours is enough. 1 day / 8 hours per week for a year.

mechaishida

Me personally, I tend to pocket my rubbish if there's a lack of a bin, to the point where it's weighing my jeans down round my arse...

Here in Mid Wales, it's actually not too bad litter-wise, the town centres are clean and so are the main roads. There's the odd messy type in the housed areas, but nothing drastic.

Plus, more often than not, I tend to see the young offenders on litter-picking duty more than 3 times a week in the town.

South Wales, particularly the Valleys, is even worse than Coventry, and no I'm not kidding...rubbish is everywhere, and you can't go a foot without stepping in dog shit.

oakey

Not just Coventry I'm afraid. It's everywhere.

The education system needs an overhaul. They teach children about litter, Year 1,2 3, 4, but then suddenly stop. Stop talking about it around Year 5 and 6 and then by Year 7 kids seemingly start dropping litter.

This is all from my own experience. My daughter is now Year 7.

TBF year 7 are incapable of learning anything. Their brains are frozen and all they can do is yammer incoherently, ask dumb, pointless questions and stare at screens.
Their parents are no better TBH.

Terry Gibson's perm

I will be honest and as a kid used to just drop the litter until I went to America for a few weeks where it was really frowned upon and some big fines, so it stopped me straight away and now I keep it or look for a bin.

Otis

TBF year 7 are incapable of learning anything. Their brains are frozen and all they can do is yammer incoherently, ask dumb, pointless questions and stare at screens.
Their parents are no better TBH.
I'm a parent of a year 7.

Covstu

I was thinking this on new years day when out cycling, seen two seperate areas in the countryside where someone had fly tipped a shitload of stuff and constantly seen cans, McDonald's boxes etc. Why do people have so much arrogance that they expect others to simply pick it up.

mechaishida

I was thinking this on new years day when out cycling, seen two seperate areas in the countryside where someone had fly tipped a shitload of stuff and constantly seen cans, McDonald's boxes etc. Why do people have so much arrogance that they expect others to simply pick it up.

Lack of values and respect for anything, I guess. I caught some little shit fly-tipping up by me yesterday, on a really picturesque bit of land, so I took his number plate and reported the nob. After I'd threatened to crowbar his skull open, naturally. :D

Sick Boy

It isn't jus a UK problem. When I lived in Sicily the beaches were covered in rubbish during the off season.

I never understood how they could disrespect what is, in my opinion, the most beautiful part of the world. It was so depressing.

SkyBluePryce

I always think this about around the Ricoh, I always say, "why don't they offer a few tickets and a drink or something for young fans to pick up litter, a couple of hours before kick off." Make the surrounding area look a lot better, particularly around the car parks.

skyblueinBaku

When I lived in Moscow (quite a long time ago) anyone dropping litter would get a bollocking from any member of the public that saw it happening.

Sick Boy

When I lived in Moscow (quite a long time ago) anyone dropping litter would get a bollocking from any member of the public that saw it happening.

Never going to happen here. Most are too ignorant and more interested in the latest wanky reality TV programme.

chiefdave

Part of the problem is that these days a large chunk of the general public won't approach someone they see do something wrong, even if something minor like litter, for fear of what might happen.

Few years ago the worst that would happen would be you'd get a slap, now everyone seems to be carry a knife and happy to use it over the slightest little thing.

BackRoomRummermill

Litter and dogshite everywhere in UK, the whole island is drowning in empty fast food packaging and puppy farmed inbred pit bull dogshite

Sick Boy

There does indeed seem to have been something of a resurgence in dog shite recently.

Also, when did white middle class youths start talking like they are from Jamaica? Another thing, why do so many people in Britain look 10 years older?

LastGarrison

It isn't jus a UK problem. When I lived in Sicily the beaches were covered in rubbish during the off season.

I never understood how they could disrespect what is, in my opinion, the most beautiful part of the world. It was so depressing.

I would imagine it has nothing on India.

Truly the most rubbish strewn place I have ever been to!

dancers lance

I have a lovely (but hard work) hedge that runs down the side of my house and partially across the front, this hedge was planted when the house was built in 1919, over the last few years it has become, to some cretins, the best place for them to stuff drinks cans, bottles, kebabs and the wrappers, chip papers, fast food bags, carpet, bags of dog shit (special treat)..etc.

Probably my fault for having such an inviting hedge.

BackRoomRummermill

I have a lovely (but hard work) hedge that runs down the side of my house and partially across the front, this hedge was planted when the house was built in 1919, over the last few years it has become, to some cretins, the best place for them to stuff drinks cans, bottles, kebabs and the wrappers, chip papers, fast food bags, carpet, bags of dog shit (special treat)..etc.

Probably my fault for having such an inviting hedge.

The thick idiots probably think that it will bio degrade in a hedge !

Users who are viewing this thread