Local Football- Assault on Referees (1 Viewer)

CJ_covblaze

Shocking isn't it. Makes you wonder why they bother.

Joy Division

I see the offending club seem happy to make light of the incident on their twitter account

Nick

Administrator
Different team I think... There are 2 newdigates.

After playing in that league I can quite easily see why a ref would get a slap sometimes. I don't condone it but when you play a heated game and the ref turns up in a car with their manager you know it's not going to be a fair game...

Just to clear up, not all refs but even at that level it is a little bit corrupt...

Again, I am not condoning it.

thaiskyblue

my dad , god bless was a top level referee in his day ( old first division before the premiership ), so i take great offence to that remark, most refs are just normal people trying their best to help the game they love.

duffer

After playing in that league I can quite easily see why a ref would get a slap sometimes. I don't condone it but when you play a heated game and the ref turns up in a car with their manager you know it's not going to be a fair game...

Just to clear up, not all refs but even at that level it is a little bit corrupt...

If you can see why a ref 'gets a slap', then I'm afraid you pretty much are condoning it.

I played at a pretty crap level of football for around twenty years, and managed for a fair bit too. I even had to step in and referee sometimes, mostly because dickheads with no self-control had made the job so miserable (and in some cases dangerous) that no one with a brain would want to do it.

I can say, looking back, that I've never seen a bent referee. I've seen plenty who weren't fit, a few with genuinely poor eyesight, and even the odd one who wasn't quite up on the rules of the game. Never, ever one that deserved a slap though.

I've seen plenty of players that would benefit from a little bit of discipline, mind. The worse ones being those who thought it was always someone else's fault that they were losing.

No ref, no game, is my take on it. Anyone who raises his hands to a ref deserves a properly long ban, followed by an obligatory couple of years behind the whistle to see how it really feels!

ohitsaidwalker king power

Nick- respectfully.. how can you possibly state- " I can quite easily see why a ref would get a slap sometimes" and then hope to retrieve credibility by stating you do not condone it. I'm not saying you do.. but come on.... my late father was a referee for many many years for the BFA.. I recall as a child feeling intimidated by threatening players back then, he had his car damaged and tyres slashed a few times.. it has to be stopped. I'm afraid I find your comments somewhat ridiculous.

Macca

I understand why they get a slap too. Because of the number of brainless moronic chavs playing

edgy

There are now 12 games in the NDSFL this weekend without a ref. Thanks to the mindless few.

thaiskyblue

I think it's not just football it a reflection of our society , there is a total disrespect of authority that needs addressing , iv'e been a teacher in many Asian countries notably China and Thailand, teaching infants up to university students and was only ever shown respect. Don't think that would happen here, it's a society problem not just local football.

Nick

Administrator
Nick- respectfully.. how can you possibly state- " I can quite easily see why a ref would get a slap sometimes" and then hope to retrieve credibility by stating you do not condone it. I'm not saying you do.. but come on.... my late father was a referee for many many years for the BFA.. I recall as a child feeling intimidated by threatening players back then, he had his car damaged and tyres slashed a few times.. it has to be stopped. I'm afraid I find your comments somewhat ridiculous.

By saying I can see why in a couple of instances isn't saying I condone it. I can see why people murder other people SOMETIMES in some cases but I don't condone it. It isn't right to use violence but I have seen referees giving it a lot more than taking it.

Of course I am not saying that you can punch somebody for giving a free kick against you, it is more when people blatantly cheat and then pretty much taunt you and laugh in your face then I could see why people might get annoyed by it, then they get in the other manager's car and go home with them.

A lot of the old school refs were always decent.

Joy Division

By saying I can see why in a couple of instances isn't saying I condone it. I can see why people murder other people SOMETIMES in some cases but I don't condone it. It isn't right to use violence but I have seen referees giving it a lot more than taking it.

Of course I am not saying that you can punch somebody for giving a free kick against you, it is more when people blatantly cheat and then pretty much taunt you and laugh in your face then I could see why people might get annoyed by it, then they get in the other manager's car and go home with them.

A lot of the old school refs were always decent.

I'm guessing this is something that happened to you, once.

Nick

Administrator
I'm guessing this is something that happened to you, once.

Nope, something I saw with somebody else. I was a neutral.

Often when over the park you see the old boys reffing and they love it, the players do seem to respect them a lot more and have a bit of banter.

Sky Blue Pete

What an idiot that ref is! I reffed for a while 25 years ago and had to put up with horrendous behaviour - foul, loud mouthed abuse from parents pretty much every game I did. The kids themselves were always pretty well behaved

thaiskyblue

Even if they are terrible referees hitting the referee is disgraceful , the players that do this should get a life time ban and jail, what happened to respect.

duffer

It was my point about not all refs being angels and some just as bad as the players who have hit them.

C'mon Nick, you've given an single example of something you've witnessed, where a ref appears to be a manager's friend and you're suggesting that he's favoured the other team. The other is a story about a ref who's clearly a inconsiderate twat, and should be suspended.

No refs punching players there, I note.

I'm sticking to my guns here. I played and managed for a long time, and I was always grateful to have a neutral ref turn up, regardless of how good or bad I thought he was at his job. I've never seen anything like the stuff you say, but I have seen an awful lot of appalling behaviour by players (grown men ffs!), who should know better. There's no excuse for hitting a ref, ever.

duffer

What an idiot that ref is! I reffed for a while 25 years ago and had to put up with horrendous behaviour - foul, loud mouthed abuse from parents pretty much every game I did. The kids themselves were always pretty well behaved

From what I've seen kids tend to play reasonably fairly, when they're left to it. They don't tend to shout at their teachers when they're reffing games, but once out of that environment they start to see how certain adults behave towards referees. If even their coaches, who should know better, are popping off at refs - what chance do the kids have?

I know many junior clubs are trying to sort this out, with codes of conduct that have to be signed by parents and players, but it's an uphill battle when the grown ups aren't... grown up.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Yes, there have been a couple of examples of players punching players as well as a couple of examples of bad refs...

Again, I am not condoning it I am just saying I can see why it might happen.

ohitsaidwalker king power

Did I hear on the radio earlier(CWR) that a number of games were called off over the weekend in Nuneaton and Bedworth due to referees refusing to attend due to the present situation and ill discipline of some players?

Marty

I use to play a fair bit, 3 times a week (2 five a side teams + Sunday league) and it's disgraceful the stuff some people come out with. It's just as bad in the youth leagues with the parents on the touchline.

Brighton Sky Blue

I used to referee on Sunday mornings in the Coventry Minor League. The players were very rarely a problem, but the grief you'd get off parents pissed off at their lie-in being wasted in a park was incredible; it's a baptism of fire for anyone doing a job that nobody especially wants. When I came up to Scotland it was another matter entirely and after getting grief for being English both at games and association meetings I packed it in.

stupot07

Didn't a player get his jaw broken by a Bedworth teams player in an off the ball incident earlier in the season?

Used to hate playing Bedworth teams, they always wanted to boot you for no reason. Bizarre.

SkyblueBazza

I understand why they get a slap too. Because of the number of brainless moronic chavs playing

Which brings us to why I can see why they get a slap sometimes. Thugs can play football too...& the ref' is the easy target for the thug at a local level - safety in numbers. Most that play aren't thugs but even they can start to slate & verbally abuse the ref'. They get away with it & it proliferates. If only people could control their aggression, respect that the ref' makes decisions based on how they see it - & just get on with & play...& hopefully enjoy the game. "If it makes you so angry don't play (or watch)" ought to perhaps be one of the key messages from the FA.

Users who are viewing this thread