Lost pubs of Coventry (3 Viewers)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Many a few pints before the game in here! The Mercers Arms!

MercersArmsSwanLane.jpg

Si80

The Bantam - Hen Lane. Hells Angels pub was the talk when I was a kid, not sure how true that is/was?

cloughie

Mercers Arms saw loads of bands play there in the 60's included Steampacket twice with Rod Stewart as lead vocalist

you lucky git Rod was at his best in the early days and with the faces but lost his way mid 80's

seen the faces at oxford in the 70's a great night,

Last edited:

cloughie

smithfield in town a good place for live music in the late 70's/ and 80's

anyone remember billy the gaffer

It used to get some away fans in on a saturday night, usually chelsea' spurs or newcastle............ billy would say just make sure your on my side when it kicks off

Houchens Head

The Jubilee by the Swanswell? Rough as a badgers

It was built in 1977 to coincide with the Queens Silver Jubilee. As pubs go, it didn't last long. Yep, it was a dump. Full of druggies and the like!

Houchens Head

The New Star in Tile Hill. As pubs go, this was rough! Strangely, it got burned down "by accident". :whistle:

TheNewStarTileHill.jpg

LastGarrison

The Caludon, The Alahmbra, The Fletch, The Lighthouse, Bar Coast, Penny Black, The Grange.

Loads when you think about it.

cloughie

The Caludon, The Alahmbra, The Fletch, The Lighthouse, Bar Coast, Penny Black, The Grange.

Loads when you think about it.

Alahmbra most fri /sat nights for a couple on the pub crawl, but the grange is still there ay the moment but shut and will probably never open again

LastGarrison

Alahmbra most fri /sat nights for a couple on the pub crawl, but the grange is still there ay the moment but shut and will probably never open again

Bollocks didn't mean the Grange, although you're right that is gonna be demolished soon, I meant the Barras pub up on Swancroft Road that is now flats!

LastGarrison

Went past the Dolphin in Canley the other day and that is shut now and is slowly being dismantled by the local population.

The Live and Let Live. Bit before my time and a bit out of my area but a boozer that had a massive reputation.

What was the one in Henley Green that got burnt down? Fernando will know if he reads this.

Houchens Head

Went past the Dolphin in Canley the other day and that is shut now and is slowly being dismantled by the local population.

The Live and Let Live. Bit before my time and a bit out of my area but a boozer that had a massive reputation.

What was the one in Henley Green that got burnt down? Fernando will know if he reads this.

I worked at the Live and Let Live 1970 - 71. We used to have two bloody great German Shepherds roaming behind the bar in case of trouble. Great place! The only pubs I can think of in Henley Green are The White Horse in Broad Park Road. There was the Shire Horse at the bottom of Caradoc Close flats. I can't remember any being burnt down, but then again, I moved to Tile Hill for the last 15-20 years I was in Cov. Been down here for 3 years as well.

Houchens Head

The Thistle, The Market Tavern, The Pheonix (Happy Frenchman, New Phoenix).

Houchens Head

Anyone remember the Jules Verne in Grayswood Ave? Think it's the Three Spires again now. I worked in the JV for about 2 years as assistant manager. I remember the themed bars - The Balloon Bar and The Western Bar spring to mind. The main bar was the India Bar (or something like that).

Astute

Many a few pints before the game in here! The Mercers Arms!

MercersArmsSwanLane.jpg

Had a drink in that place from the age of about 14. An asian bloke took it over. I went in one day and he said he had been told I wasn't old enough to drink. I showed him my driving licence. I was 18 that day :D Had gone in for a warm up drink ready for what the day had in for me.

Astute

The Jubilee by the Swanswell? Rough as a badgers

Was a local of mine for a few years. Good pub in it's day. Did have a problem though with young lads that wanted to make a name for themselves. Used to start off in there on a matchday. Missed a few games though from being incapable of walking :pimp:

Astute

I heard about the White Horse pub getting hit by arsonists a few years ago. Not sure if it is still there though. Not been around that way for a long time now.

MMMMM what a pub the Live And Let Live was. The first time I ever went to go in there I had my hand on the door and about to push it open. Something came flying out of a window. It sounded like a riot was going on inside. Took my hand off the door and walked away like a coward :eek: :D

LastGarrison

I worked at the Live and Let Live 1970 - 71. We used to have two bloody great German Shepherds roaming behind the bar in case of trouble. Great place! The only pubs I can think of in Henley Green are The White Horse in Broad Park Road. There was the Shire Horse at the bottom of Caradoc Close flats. I can't remember any being burnt down, but then again, I moved to Tile Hill for the last 15-20 years I was in Cov. Been down here for 3 years as well.

The Shire Horse is the one I was thinking of!

Houchens Head

Anyone remember the name of that big old pub on the corner of Willenhall Lane and Quorn Way?

blueflint

never forget the bell tile hill village got my 1st pint at 15 was my local is it still there

Users who are viewing this thread