Luke McCormick (1 Viewer)

Covstu

Heard that Luke has been resigned by Plymouth after killing those two kids in the car accident! Unbelievable!!

jabharty

Wow. Wouldn't think that they'd have him back!
However, he has been proving that he is still a decent keeper.

LastGarrison

Still a tough one, what he did was horrendous and inexcusable, however, he admitted his guilt, got his head down and served his time (although personally I thought it should have been longer) and so surely he has the right to continue with his life and chosen career?

However, if I was the family or friends of those two kids I am sure my view would be very, very different.

One stupid decision has ruined so many lives.

He played for Oxford City this season, Criminals like Lee Hughes and Luke McCormick should not be allowed into the game after what they have done. I know people say everyone deserves a second chance, but IMO, not eveyrone.

Mucca Mad Boys

He played for Oxford City this season, Criminals like Lee Hughes and Luke McCormick should not be allowed into the game after what they have done. I know people say everyone deserves a second chance, but IMO, not eveyrone.

They served their time in the eyes of the law, after that, criminals shouldn't necessarily be excluded from society, especially in this case where they were accidents.

Not exempting them or anything, but it's the justice system that judges and condemns criminals, not the public, otherwise any crime would be punishable by death (overexaggeration but you know my point).

Brighton Sky Blue

I find myself agreeing with Taylor on this one. Someone should not lose their whole livelihood and be forever condemned off of one horrible mistake-society has to put faith in the idea that people are capable of rehabilitation and changing. Not everyone is, but for those who have genuinely changed for the better, they should be allowed back to make a living like anyone else.

LastGarrison

Agreed but it is the fact that they make a very nice living as a footballer, which is also akin to celebrity status, that is the thing that grates most with people.

At the end of the day is it is just a game and should someone convicted of causing the death of two children by dangerous driving really be put into such a privileged position?

Brighton Sky Blue

Agreed but it is the fact that they make a very nice living as a footballer, which is also akin to celebrity status, that is the thing that grates most with people.

At the end of the day is it is just a game and should someone convicted of causing the death of two children by dangerous driving really be put into such a privileged position?

To be fair he's playing for Plymouth so won't be in a high profile position and won't be earning shedloads. Indeed if he's high profile he can use that to spread awareness more effectively.

Covstu

I met him few times, his dad drinks at the local and he is actually a really nice down to earth lad. I am sure what happened will be with him until he dies but I guess the fact that if he wasn't a footballer it wouldn't be as big of an issue.

torchomatic

Children died because of this man. It wasnt an 'accident' it was sheer selfishness.

Its fine for the 'he's a decent lad' crowd to forgive and forget because they haven't lost their children.

He has proved beyond doubt that he is nowhere near decent.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

torchomatic

They served their time in the eyes of the law, after that, criminals shouldn't necessarily be excluded from society, especially in this case where they were accidents.

Not exempting them or anything, but it's the justice system that judges and condemns criminals, not the public, otherwise any crime would be punishable by death (overexaggeration but you know my point).

Why was it an 'accident'?

SkyBlue_Bear83

He should be allowed to work and be rehabiltated back into society, just not as a footballer. In normal lines of work you wouldn't walk straight back into a high profile job after being jailed for so long.

Covstu

Children died because of this man. It wasnt an 'accident' it was sheer selfishness.

Its fine for the 'he's a decent lad' crowd to forgive and forget because they haven't lost their children.

He has proved beyond doubt that he is nowhere near decent.

no one is excusing what he did, should have hung him and got it over with eh?! :facepalm:

I think most people agree he shouldn't be in football again but he has done his time (whether it was enough is debatable). The families of the children will of course never forgive him but there is nothing he can do to take it back.

Flying Fokker

Maybe you could ride yor bike over him?

There are loads of people out there who make mistakes and pay for them.... What else should society do. A car is a dangerous missile and unfortunately people get killed every day. Luke will surely rue the day he made the wrong decisions but society has punished him and he has to live with that every day of his life. That is his biggest sentence. Anyone with half a conscience must regret deaths caused by stupidity.

Flying Fokker

no one is excusing what he did, should have hung him and got it over with eh?! :facepalm:

I think most people agree he shouldn't be in football again but he has done his time (whether it was enough is debatable). The families of the children will of course never forgive him but there is nothing he can do to take it back.

What is this fascination with footballers having to somehow be banned for doing something off the football field? Why should they be singled out as people who deserve more punishment. He steps out on the pitch knowing that he killed people. So do the 8000 people who watch him. Presumably on his best behaviour?

Covstu

What is this fascination with footballers having to somehow be banned for doing something off the football field? Why should they be singled out as people who deserve more punishment. He steps out on the pitch knowing that he killed people. So do the 8000 people who watch him. Presumably on his best behaviour?

Because this is a privileged job and a public facing role where he should be setting the right example, he clearly hasn't done this.

Mucca Mad Boys

Because this is a privileged job and a public facing role where he should be setting the right example, he clearly hasn't done this.

It was an accident, he drove drunk, normal people do it, I don't know why people expect footballers and other people in the public eye to be above that, we're all human, and we can all make the worst of mistakes, I'm sure McCormick regrets what he did, but he doesn't deserve to be excluded from society after he's served time for his crime.

Paxman II

I think this all comes down to how we all perceive sentencing. What's strong enough and fits the crime as to what's some will think too strong or unfair. Society will always be split over that. How do you make a crime fit a tragedy? Someone who never went out intending to kill anyone?
How do you make a crime fit recklessness particularly if it ends in tragic death of innocent people? He's not a murderer but he is responsible for killing people. Premeditation is one thing, tragic accident is another. But if you load a gun your risk gets greater that you will shoot someone and kill them. If you drive a car drunk the resulting risk is the same? Don't load the gun if you are not prepared to take the consequences is the morale here.

Mucca Mad Boys

I think this all comes down to how we all perceive sentencing. What's strong enough and fits the crime as to what's some will think too strong or unfair. Society will always be split over that. How do you make a crime fit a tragedy? Someone who never went out intending to kill anyone?
How do you make a crime fit recklessness particularly if it ends in tragic death of innocent people? He's not a murderer but he is responsible for killing people. Premeditation is one thing, tragic accident is another. But if you load a gun your risk gets greater that you will shoot someone and kill them. If you drive a car drunk the resulting risk is the same? Don't load the gun if you are not prepared to take the consequences is the morale here.

With drink driving though, lots of people do it, they think it won't happen to them (hitting someone), for the majority, it won't happen, but those people who do surely regret it, and after they've been prosecuted, convicted and served their sentence, criminals of this sort shouldn't necessarily be excluded from society. There are people who have done these crimes who do speed awareness and drink driving courses.

P.S. I feel strongly about drink driving.

torchomatic

A tyre blow-out is an accident. Driving while drunk isn't.

I would argue that drinking and driving is "normal".

It was an accident, he drove drunk, normal people do it, .

Mucca Mad Boys

A tyre blow-out is an accident. Driving while drunk isn't.

I would argue that drinking and driving is "normal".

That's why drink drivers get charged with murder, not manslaughter, from the moment you sit behind the wheel whilst over the limit, you are entirely responsible for anything that happens i.e. an accident, but, lots of people do it, doesn't make it right but in this case, taking away someone's livelyhood for an offence many ordinary people commit (minus the killing), after serving a jail sentence, and being sacked, is ridiculous.

Delboycov

That's why drink drivers get charged with murder, not manslaughter, from the moment you sit behind the wheel whilst over the limit, you are entirely responsible for anything that happens i.e. an accident, but, lots of people do it, doesn't make it right but in this case, taking away someone's livelyhood for an offence many ordinary people commit (minus the killing), after serving a jail sentence, and being sacked, is ridiculous.

"Ridiculous" is that 2 parents have to live the rest of their lives without their 2 beloved children...knowing they will never see them grow up and fulfill their life's potential. Never see them graduate, get married, have kids, give them grandchildren, all because some big shot footballer was in a hurry to get somewhere and couldn't wait till he'd sobered up before getting behind the wheel. Sorry but as a 'role model' I think it's disgraceful that he can just go back to his lucrative career as if nothing happened....If he was in any other profession he would not walk back into a job so easily. It's difficult enough in the current economic climate to get any job even with an unblemished record. Before you ask...I have never once drank whilst over the limit so maybe I'm not "normal" then by your reckoning.

Macca

Football is an odd environment where watching 11 people you like make a ball go over a line more times than another 11 people appears to be more important than anything else

Brighton Sky Blue

"Ridiculous" is that 2 parents have to live the rest of their lives without their 2 beloved children...knowing they will never see them grow up and fulfill their life's potential. Never see them graduate, get married, have kids, give them grandchildren, all because some big shot footballer was in a hurry to get somewhere and couldn't wait till he'd sobered up before getting behind the wheel. Sorry but as a 'role model' I think it's disgraceful that he can just go back to his lucrative career as if nothing happened....If he was in any other profession he would not walk back into a job so easily. It's difficult enough in the current economic climate to get any job even with an unblemished record. Before you ask...I have never once drank whilst over the limit so maybe I'm not "normal" then by your reckoning.

Totally get that and HH I believe has actually lost a close relative to drink driving and so can relate better than any of us to that. However-life must ultimately move on and his higher profile position will allow him to spread the message to many more people and possibly prevent future incidents.

What he did will haunt him for the rest of his life.

Mucca Mad Boys

BSB got it pretty much spot on.

To add to that, what are we supposed to do then? Lock someone up for life? McCormick has served his time for the crime therefore, in theory should be 'even', obviously he should (I hope he will) be haunted with his crime for the rest of his life, he'll have it on his record for the rest of is life, and he got sacked, he was punished and rightly so - what more do you ask?

I haven't learnt how to drive (quite close to my test) and I don't think I'll ever drive whilst over the limit, but my point is, which you've either deliberately been awkward about, or misunderstood, is that drink driving is a crime committed on a daily basis by all bands of society (rich, poor, young, old, black, white, asian, christian, muslim, Jewish, celebrities etc. etc.) why is there so many campaigns for drink driving if it weren't so widespread? It's something that should be eradicated, but severe punishments won't do that, rehabilitation and awareness will, eventually.

Delboycov

BSB got it pretty much spot on.

To add to that, what are we supposed to do then? Lock someone up for life? McCormick has served his time for the crime therefore, in theory should be 'even', obviously he should (I hope he will) be haunted with his crime for the rest of his life, he'll have it on his record for the rest of is life, and he got sacked, he was punished and rightly so - what more do you ask?

I haven't learnt how to drive (quite close to my test) and I don't think I'll ever drive whilst over the limit, but my point is, which you've either deliberately been awkward about, or misunderstood, is that drink driving is a crime committed on a daily basis by all bands of society (rich, poor, young, old, black, white, asian, christian, muslim, Jewish, celebrities etc. etc.) why is there so many campaigns for drink driving if it weren't so widespread? It's something that should be eradicated, but severe punishments won't do that, rehabilitation and awareness will, eventually.

My point is that those 'ordinary' people who do the same don't usually just walk back into their highly paid jobs immediately after they've 'paid their debt' so why should he? I wasn't deliberately misunderstanding or being awkward about your point! Touchy. I also believe that severe punishments can act as a deterrent and that where drink driving is concerned the potential consequences of their actions should be taken into consideration too and not just the actual outcome. Such as the guy who drove through my local as I walked past, pissed up,high strength lager in hand,doing 80 in a built up area,9 month pregnant missus next to him, narrowly missed me and drove through the family area which is usually packed and but for a miracle there weren't multiple deaths. Would've been a disaster on a national scale. He went to do a runner,leaving his pregnant missus in there to save his sorry skin but was stopped. Got a suspended sentence. Pathetic.

Brighton Sky Blue

My point is that those 'ordinary' people who do the same don't usually just walk back into their highly paid jobs immediately after they've 'paid their debt' so why should he? I wasn't deliberately misunderstanding or being awkward about your point! Touchy. I also believe that severe punishments can act as a deterrent and that where drink driving is concerned the potential consequences of their actions should be taken into consideration too and not just the actual outcome. Such as the guy who drove through my local as I walked past, pissed up,high strength lager in hand,doing 80 in a built up area,9 month pregnant missus next to him, narrowly missed me and drove through the family area which is usually packed and but for a miracle there weren't multiple deaths. Would've been a disaster on a national scale. He went to do a runner,leaving his pregnant missus in there to save his sorry skin but was stopped. Got a suspended sentence. Pathetic.

Except he hasn't-he got back in to playing at Truro and ultimately his contract at Plymouth will be lean considering their financial status. Having two lives on your hands for life isn't as cushy as some seem to think.

torchomatic

Meanwhile the parents of the children he killed due his gross recklessness will be having a spiffing time, won't they?

To be honest I hope the rest of his days are haunted.

What he did will haunt him for the rest of his life.

Users who are viewing this thread