Matchday #31 Coventry v Crystal Palace (1 Viewer)

Coventry La La La

Coventry v Crystal Palace

Coventry v Crystal Palace Head to Head

Saturday sees the 100th league and cup match between Coventry City and Crystal Palace.

City have won 36 of those games and drawn 32 times. They have scored 156 goals compared to Palace's 134.

City lost 2-0 at Selhurst Park back in November but beat Palace in the FA Cup Third Round to inflict their only defeat at the Ricoh Arena.

The last time City played Palace in a league match at the Ricoh Arena, the game finished in a 1-1 draw in November 2009. Darren Ambrose put Palace ahead in the 27th minute but Leon Best equalised in the 47th minute.

Coventry - (16th) 36 points

Home Form: LLDWdL

Crystal Palace - (21st) 31 points

Away Form - LDLLLD
My Predictions

Formation

Westwood
Keogh, Cranie, R.Wood,O'halloran
Baker, Clingan, Gunnarsson, McSheffrey
Eastwood, King

Score: 3-1 (King, McSheffrey, Wood)

Attendance: 14,310

Any match day predictions/banter please post here.

cpfc

Hi, Palace fan in peace :whistle:

was intrested to read yr predictions, and had the game been just after new year the i'd have agreed with you, how ever, we have made a few signings, and our defence is now very hard to beat, we have not conceded at home in 7 hours and we are starting to pick up points away from home. it will be an intresting game, one wich if we win drags u right down into the dog fight, so dont expect an easy ride.

yr crowd prdiction is quite low, i dont know what yr home average is but seeing as we are both close to relegation spots and the fact Palace will be bringing around 3k i would have thought more in the line of 16-18K.

anyway, i hope we all have a enjoyable and safe day regardless of the result.

P.S whats the best away pub?

Last edited:

SkyBlueKay

Facebook User
Westwood
Keogh, Cranie, R.Wood,O'halloran
Baker, Clingan, Gunnarsson, Jutkiewicz
Eastwood, King

1 - 1 (Eastwood)

If I was being optimistic I'd have gone 3 - 1 (Eastwood, Jutkiewicz & King) but I think I lost my optimism lol

If Palace are bringing about 3K then I'll go for a crowd of 16, 451

cpfc

If Palace are bringing about 3K then I'll go for a crowd of 16, 451

WE have sold 2K already and i know loads are travelling with out tickets, including myself. Its a palace on tour event organised by the fans, we have people coming from all over including germany, norway etc just for the game.

Coventry La La La

WE have sold 2K already and i know loads are travelling with out tickets, including myself. Its a palace on tour event organised by the fans, we have people coming from all over including germany, norway etc just for the game.

Are home gates are on the down and I didn't know Palace were bringing 2-3 thousand... The attedance might be around 15-17 thousand then should be a good game. :)

cpfc

Are home gates are on the down and I didn't know Palace were bringing 2-3 thousand... The attedance might be around 15-17 thousand then should be a good game. :)

Just out of intrest, because we are on the verge of moving to a new ground in the next 3-4 years, when you moved from highfield did you see a sudden increase in attendances or did it stay pretty much the same?
also, please, what is the better away pub? i heard its the black horse, is it children friendly?

Pigeon

Westwood
Keogh Cranie Wood O'Halloran
Baker Clingan Gunnarsson Jutkiewicz
Eastwood King​

Score: 2-1 King Baker

Attendance: 16,800

Hopefully Clingan is fit and doesn't get injured in the warm up! Stability is seriously needed to this team and to try and get a consistent squad. Think this will be a tough game as we've both slipped towards the bottom of the table. I think a good atmosphere and win at the Ricoh will be good for all, after this week with various upsets within the club, we can go back to the football. PUSB:D

Coventry La La La

Just out of intrest, because we are on the verge of moving to a new ground in the next 3-4 years, when you moved from highfield did you see a sudden increase in attendances or did it stay pretty much the same?
also, please, what is the better away pub? i heard its the black horse, is it children friendly?

Attendances have been dropping since we are the 2nd longest serving club in the championship (Preston being 1st) and alot of the fans want premiership football and seem to have boycotted the club since we have not been challening at the top end of the championship for many years. With such a huge stadium and high roof it is hard to create an atmosphere and with are ditiriating support its getting even harder. We also do not own are Stadium the local council does thus the Coventry board have to pay for rental of the Stadium and don't make much money from ticket sales and are believed to be on an annual lose of 4million+ a year. To recoup this are talented players are sold when the right amount of money comes along.

Pub Advice.

The Black Horse, Situated between Longford and Exhall, is reported to offer a friendly welcome to away fans. Many of the pubs along Longford Road are "home only," but the JK English pub is an exception, providing a hearty welcome for visiting supporters.

It can be reached by following the towpath away from the North Stand over the canal for some 400 yards and turning right into Longford Road. The pub is some 200 yards, on the right. It offers an "all you can eat" buffet on Saturday lunchtimes. Reasonably priced parking is also available at this pub. Alternativly, alcohol is available inside the stadium

Last edited:

cpfc

Pub Advice.

The Black Horse, Situated between Longford and Exhall, is reported to offer a friendly welcome to away fans. Many of the pubs along Longford Road are "home only," but the JK English pub is an exception, providing a hearty welcome for visiting supporters.

It can be reached by following the towpath away from the North Stand over the canal for some 400 yards and turning right into Longford Road. The pub is some 200 yards, on the right. It offers an "all you can eat" buffet on Saturday lunchtimes. Reasonably priced parking is also available at this pub. Alternativly, alcohol is available inside the stadium

thanks for the advise, Really looking forward to this one, bringing my 12 YR old son with me, he has not been to yr ground before, anyway, good luck for the season, i really dont think you will go down, (its between sheff utd, Portsmouth and maybe us) but i do have a good feelng about sat, i hope im not proved wrong

SkyBlueKay

Facebook User

Yeah, I've been reading about that! I've read rumors you might actually sell out our away end! (I hope you do! The atmosphere would be amazing) Meant to be bringing lots of drums and flags and banners etc I've read! It should be a good match, wish you guys the best for the season!
I'm hoping your feeling is proved wrong to be fair, it would be a nice change for us, but I think you'll give us a run for our money!

cpfc

Yeah, I've been reading about that! I've read rumors you might actually sell out our away end! (I hope you do! The atmosphere would be amazing) Meant to be bringing lots of drums and flags and banners etc I've read! It should be a good match, wish you guys the best for the season!
I'm hoping your feeling is proved wrong to be fair, it would be a nice change for us, but I think you'll give us a run for our money!

it was an idea posted on a fans forum, the had a poll to see which ground was most popular with everyone then started advertising it everywhere, and because our new owners also post on our forums it was easy to get the word out to all via the score board, programs etc. the owners even mentioned it on their twitter pages lol.

also the box office is giving red and blue balloons away with every ticket. will be a good day out and a great atmosphere what ever the score.

cpfc

anyway, this is the team i would expect to see sat,

---------Speroni-----------
Clyne-Paddy-Gardner-Moxey
------Marrow---Wright-----
-Scannell---------Ambrose-
------Easter--Vaughan-----

SkyBlueKay

Facebook User
it was an idea posted on a fans forum, the had a poll to see which ground was most popular with everyone then started advertising it everywhere, and because our new owners also post on our forums it was easy to get the word out to all via the score board, programs etc. the owners even mentioned it on their twitter pages lol.

also the box office is giving red and blue balloons away with every ticket. will be a good day out and a great atmosphere what ever the score.

More than our lot would do! I really hope you have a fantastic day! And I wouldn't be surprised if you lot out sing us!! I'll be there in full voice as normal :) I think it's a brilliant idea!

Pigeon

It's a shame we didn't promote this day on our end and try to boost attendance like the Leeds match. It would be good for Coventry fans and give the Palace fans a bit of banter and singing to look forward to.

SkyBlueKay

Facebook User
It's a shame we didn't promote this day on our end and try to boost attendance like the Leeds match. It would be good for Coventry fans and give the Palace fans a bit of banter and singing to look forward to.

Exactly! I only knew about it because I read it somewhere (can't remember where) although at the minute I can't see it making much difference, even more so with the goings on on the board!

IrishSkyBlue

Facebook User
2-1 to us freddie and king i feel we might snatch this run and start a glorious winning streak to stay in the top half of the table :whistle:

cpfc

Would have been a good idea, I know that your official club web site has mentioned it a few times

Cobi Jones's Dreads

Couldn't give a shit season's over 7-0 Palace.

Danns- 4
Speroni- 1
John Salako-1
Richard Shaw- 1

BenInTurin

Facebook User
optimistic as usual mamama!!!

Think we'll edge it 2-1, king and eastwood. We've been playing better the last few matches but conceding silly goals so I think it will be close!

Cobi Jones's Dreads

Nice to see Shawsy getting a goal!

I think it wil be 1-1, I don't think we will find form until the start of March

King
Ambrose

Damn it Andy you're the only one that appreciates me! :D

flammablepiss

Facebook User
Should be an easy win for us but i think 3 or 4 nil is a bit optimistic !
Today however we will get back on our feet and avoid that all too familiar drop to the bottom... PUSB !

InterSkyBlues

Should have been 3 or 4 - played them off the park in the second half! Player of first half Carl Baker - second half was a mix of Gunnar and Cranie - awesome stuff! Wood, O'Halloran, Keogh, Jukebox and King all noteworthy - no one was bad! Although if Cameron lets the ball bounce over his head one more time I think I'll cry! Play up Sky Blues, firs time have left Ricoh in a long time on a high!

IrishSkyBlue

Facebook User
when i saw us 1-0 up i was like eh dont get youre hopes up saw the final score 2-1 to us and we bricked it in the last 8 mins lol we should be used to that by now but we shouldnt be getting ourselves into that situation when we go 2-0 up.

InterSkyBlues

OK - bit of feedback for you all from the match.

First half we started well but fell off after ten minutes or so. Lucky-ish goal from Wood as according to C&W Woody was offside but we're not complaining. Man of the Match first half was definitely Carl Baker who set up the goal and in all honesty put in a shift far beyond anything I have seen him do this year. Both King and Platty put themselves about but there was a nervousness to the Sky Blules which saw quite a few mistakes and silly balls. Went in at half time 1-0 up but it was by no means a confident first half and Palace had looked the more dangerous.

Whatever Aidy said at half time worked as the Sky Blues came out Second Half a different side and Palace did not threaten our goal for 40 minutes. We simply bossed the game and played them off the park - why I hear you ask, because we got at them. We nipped and harried and stole the ball almost constantly - Crainie and Gunnarrson were suddently in it, Woody was a maestro and alongside Cameron they dealt with everything (although Cameron still has the ability to scare the pants out of me by misjudging high balls). Keogh and O'Halloran were running the flanks and Juke Box and Platt were winning stuff in the air almoost constantly. The 433 (451 when defending) was working a treat - we had countless near misses and great saves from their keeper and some great crosses for a change. The goal came from some harrassing work by Gunnar who stole the ball, managed to get the ball back on the wing and then put in a cross which Marlon couldnt fail to put in!! Yesssss.

The last 5 minutes was just typical Cov and a nervous side just wanting the 3 points. We nearly nearly gave it all away but quite simply the best half I've seen this year! Awesome performance except for the last 5 and if they can repeat that in future games then we will be fine! Player scores as follows:

Westwood 8 - Couple of class saves, dominant performance
Keogh 8 - Best game for a while
O'Halloran 7 - Couple of mistakes but getting there - when this lad is fighting fit he is going to be really good
Cameron 7 - He scares me but is getting better - couple of good tackles
Wood 9 - Best game I have seen him have
Baker 8 - Still as light weight as a fairy but today he was all over the pitch putting in one hell of a shift - runs out of steam always on the 70 min mark
Crainie 7 - first half was constantly looking to Gunnar for positioning help - 2nd half way better
Gunnar 7/8 - First half was poor to ok - Second half was awesome - whatever you said to him at half time Aidy it worked, way more relaxed and harried so so well
Juke Box 7 - Absent first half but way better second - good heading and movement - always looks so slow tho
Platt 7 - If only he was more than a target man - would rather see King in the middle with Platt and Juke either side rather than Platt in the middle - he's so 1d
King 8 - Can I have his babies please? Not his best game but when he gets the ball there is none better in CCFC - pure pure class

So MOTM Woody - but Baker would have been MOTM for first half.

ps Eastwood came on for last 5 - really really beginning to wonder about his work ethic - ran two times and then trotted - I'm sure Aidy must have said to him you're on for 5 minutes, sprint for the whole time and harrass them - Its a shame as I want to like him and for him to be a success but I just don't believe he has the commitment and desire - bit unfair to say that though based on 5 mins

Great day out today - more than made up for the past 5 or so home games!

PUSB :p
Couple of stunning saves from Kieran

cpfc

Well what can I say, should have made the1st half count, u totally dominated the second, shame outlast few efforts didn't go it, A great day out anyway, never leave a game disappointed with great supportlike today. Now we have to beat she'd ute next week. Good luck for rest of season

ccfc luke

We deserved the win and it was a good performace, i have to comment on the away support and say that it was outstanding (second best this year behing leeds)

First win in 10 good performance by the boys i couldnt make it to the game coz i live in yorkshire but still a good win :)
we wont go down we're too good of a team to go down :) with the players we have and the stadium :)

Jimthor

Feels good to finally get a win! As has been said it was a nervy game, not a performance to write home about, but the biggest positive is that we got the business done. So many games lately we've looked a threat and then failed to get anything from it, but on Saturday we didn't let them play and then we saw out the match. Good stuff, hopefully they can get a bit of confidence up now. Next game is a bloody tricky one, but if we can get a win in that it could really spur us on to make a strong finish to the season. Big game imo!

Users who are viewing this thread