Matty Godden (1 Viewer)

SwanLane

Big respect to Godden. Those goals he scored in tight games against the stronger L1 teams (Ipswich, Sunderland, Portsmouth & Rotherham) helped get us over the line to promotion. Bit like when Cantona scored in a load of 1-0 games for Man U when they overtook Newcastle to win the prem.

Chipped in with important goals in the championship at times too and gave his all for the club. Always a good player to have around but it’s time to move on now. Under contract but will be little more than a nominal fee for a 33 year old, with a sketchy injury record.

A return to Peterborough as a makeweight might be a good deal for all, especially if they stay in L1.

Offhegoes

It would appear not. At least, not here.
Last season he made about 4-5 bad, bad errors that led to goals in about 6-7 consective games. Of course all keepers will make an error sometimes, but that was a shocking run of form from a GK who had a decent 1st season with us.
Collins had a mare against Hull but then is probably MOM against Blackburn

Offhegoes

Big respect to Godden. Those goals he scored in tight games against the stronger L1 teams (Ipswich, Sunderland, Portsmouth & Rotherham) helped get us over the line to promotion. Bit like when Cantona scored in a load of 1-0 games for Man U when they overtook Newcastle to win the prem.

Chipped in with important goals in the championship at times too and gave his all for the club. Always a good player to have around but it’s time to move on now. Under contract but will be little more than a nominal fee for a 33 year old, with a sketchy injury record.

A return to Peterborough as a makeweight might be a good deal for all, especially if they stay in L1.
Loved Godden. Remember when we signed him in 2019, knew he would do the business. Some of his finishes were sublime, and he had clever movement. He looked lost from Xmas last year, and it was sad to watch him in some kind of No.10 / Target man role to complement Vik.
Still think he could score goals in the Championship for a QPR / Millwall / Plymouth...

Deity

Loved Godden. Remember when we signed him in 2019, knew he would do the business. Some of his finishes were sublime, and he had clever movement. He looked lost from Xmas last year, and it was sad to watch him in some kind of No.10 / Target man role to complement Vik.
Still think he could score goals in the Championship for a QPR / Millwall / Plymouth...
I can’t remember the last match Godden played well in. A sad way for a decent bloke to exit the club:

great finisher but lacks the attributes needed to play top end championship football.

Would be a great addition for an ambitious League 1 club.

Hertsccfc

I can’t remember the last match Godden played well in. A sad way for a decent bloke to exit the club:

great finisher but lacks the attributes needed to play top end championship football.

I suspect in the right team he might still be useful in the Championship. Our way of playing now doesn't suit him.

AOM

I suspect in the right team he might still be useful in the Championship. Our way of playing now doesn't suit him.

Yeah, I think if we reverted to how we used to play a season or two ago, Godden would be much more suited and we'd see more from him.
The problem is it would then be detrimental to the rest of the team and our newer signings are more suited to the current system

Hertsccfc

Yeah, I think if we reverted to how we used to play a season or two ago, Godden would be much more suited and we'd see more from him.
The problem is it would then be detrimental to the rest of the team and our newer signings are more suited to the current system
Yes I wasn't saying we should change how we play to suit him. However, he has never really relied on his physique to score goals so his age is not likely to be so much of a problem.

clint van damme

In the last 2 games he's looked to me like he got bullied.
Just don't think he's physically up to this level any more.

Users who are viewing this thread