Michael Doyle Testimonial (1 Viewer)

GaryJones

This cropped up at the Leamington Supporters Club last night.
Michael Doyle has been at The Sky Blues for 10 years (over 2 spells) which is unusual these days for any player.
Should the club grant him a testimonial as a show of appreciation?
If so who should the testimonial game be against?
I would like to see a Republic or Ireland XI including Robbie Keane!
I think it would be well supported by Coventry City Fans as most get the fact that he is dedicated to the Sky Blues.

Ccfcsj

I think it would be a fitting thing to do. The guy has given his all for us over the 10 years (must admit I didn't realise it was that long) when he's wore the Sky Blue shirt

Not sure who it should be against. Maybe some of the best players he's played with/against over the years? Love to see Robbie Keane involved

higgs

I think it would be a fitting thing to do. The guy has given his all for us over the 10 years (must admit I didn't realise it was that long) when he's wore the Sky Blue shirt

Not sure who it should be against. Maybe some of the best players he's played with/against over the years? Love to see Robbie Keane involved
Is Robbie Keane retired now?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Otis

Michael Doyle has been at The Sky Blues for 10 years (over 2 spells) which is unusual these days for any player.
I think it would be well supported by Coventry City Fans as most get the fact that he is dedicated to the Sky Blues.
I think the correct phrasing is 'We need to give Michael Doyle a testimonial, or else'!

GaryJones

to me its got to be against Celtic (i'm sure that's who we got him from in the 1st place)
That's a good call - we would be swamped with green hoops all over the place!

rob9872

We had a testimonial against Celtic some years back - at the Ricoh I think. I cant remember who it was for, but was lots of Celtic supporters and a full ground. I thought perhaps Richard Shaw but I cant think what connection he had with Celtic unless it was a Strachan thing and he brought a team down.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

We had a testimonial against Celtic some years back - at the Ricoh I think. I cant remember who it was for, but was lots of Celtic supporters and a full ground. I thought perhaps Richard Shaw but I cant think what connection he had with Celtic unless it was a Strachan thing and he brought a team down.

Yeah was Richard Shaw Cov won 3-1 I think about 25k there

kg82

I think the connection was Strachan was in charge of Celtic at the time. I remember that - about 5000-6000 Celtic fans there for a testimonial!

rob9872

I think the connection was Strachan was in charge of Celtic at the time. I remember that - about 5000-6000 Celtic fans there for a testimonial!
Probably mostly local too as they have fans all over, no doubt lots of Celtic in Cov so just getting them through turnstiles again, you never know as a good fun occasion with two good teams might have some thinking "yeah I'd like some more of this" and come back for league games.

clint van damme

Think it's just that they bring good numbers and therefore swell the coffers.

I was eleven in 87

Republic of Ireland please.

rob9872

The way the Republic are playing I think we would beat them!
Need Keano out of retirement - that's a battle Id like to see Doyler in, but perhaps not until he's retired. I'm looking forward to him playing against Lee Cattermole next week too.

Adge

Yeah, think Dion or Telfer May have been part of that Celtic team aswell.

scottccfc

Coventry:-
Fulop (Ince 45); Whing (Duffy 45); Hall (Giddings 45); Page (Williams 45); Hughes (Lynch 82); Doyle (Davis 75); Adebola (Hutchison 45); McSheffrey (Impey 45); John (Morrell 45); Wise (Thornton 45); Shaw (Heath 60).
Goals:- Wise 3, Thornton 66, Davis 78.

Celtic:-
Marshall, Telfer, McManus, Varga (Dublin 45), Wilson, Nakamura (Pearson 45), Lennon (Wallace 78), Petrov, McGeady (Quinn 72), Maloney (Camara 59), Hartson (Riley 72).
Goal:- Nakamura 8.

Att:- 25,075
Ref:- Dermot Gallagher (England).

Grendel

Personally I’d say we shouldn’t do
It

itsabuzzard

Was at that too. V funny talking to some miserable Hoops fans after the game - having beaten them soundly they were claiming they'd fielded a reserve team. It was far from it.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

pusbccfc

People love Doyle, but we can't get 10,000 for a league game. It would be unfair on him when only 5000 turn up.

Grendel

Depends how much it costs to put the event on.

Well I believe also from last year they are taxed at over 50% - I’m not sure but I think the law was passed. Hire of the ground, stewards, heat and light - can’t see it being worth the risk

chiefdave

I doubt he needs the money so maybe do something to mark the 10 years and raise a few quid. Pre-season would seem the most obvious time to do it.

Problem will be the cost and availability of the Ricoh. We've not been able to have a home pre-season game there for years. Nuneaton might be a better option. Packing out their ground would be more fun than 5K rattling round the Ricoh.

Grendel

When was the last testimonial at the Ricoh?

letsallsingtogether

People love Doyle, but we can't get 10,000 for a league game. It would be unfair on him when only 5000 turn up.
Does depend on who we play.
Notts county 5000 Man United more like 20 000.
Imo

Users who are viewing this thread