Mobile Phones At Games ? (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

Might be showing my age as I started going to games back in the 60's when it was all rattles and rosettes, but is anybody else a bit cheesed off seeing fans fiddling about with their phones during matches, or taking Selfies all the time ? If I'm not expecting a call I'll turn my phone off, and check it at half time, as I want to concentrate on the game.
And watching the World Cup it seems every spectator has one on the go, it looks like an advert for Vodafone ! Mobiles are great, but not so much at football matches !

Rich

I do find the whole mentality of some people at games odd. Not just phones, but attention in general.

It's 90 minutes, so why after 30 minutes do people think it's time to go and get the beers in, then come out late? Happened at Wembley, the people sitting next to me disappeared at half time, but didn't emerge until they heard the cheers for our goal. Why bother if you're going to miss some of the match??

bringbackrattles

I do find the whole mentality of some people at games odd. Not just phones, but attention in general.

It's 90 minutes, so why after 30 minutes do people think it's time to go and get the beers in, then come out late? Happened at Wembley, the people sitting next to me disappeared at half time, but didn't emerge until they heard the cheers for our goal. Why bother if you're going to miss some of the match??
I do think the football fan Rich has changed a bit over the years. Now many sit messing about with phones, many like to chat, and some keep disappearing during games ! What about the World Cup ? When they see themselves on the screens they go mad, pointing and posing, aren't they watching the game ?

MatthewWallis

There used to be a bloke sat in front of me who would be on it all game, it surely isn’t that hard to leave it alone for 45 minutes.

The free WiFi introduced at the Ricoh probably doesn’t help because now the internet actually loads

lifeskyblue

As long as sw88 and others who keep us informed at away games I can’t make are allowed and encouraged to continue using their phones. All others should be switched off at the turnstiles on entry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liquid Gold

Same at gigs too. People seem more interested in recording things and getting likes than actually enjoying the moment. I rarely post on a match thread on here when I'm at the game as I'm too engrossed in what's going on.

Nick

Administrator
I do post during games but the amount depends on the game, how cramped I am and battery level. It will usually be standard rushed replies. I dont get why people go to gigs to just spend all their time filming it, same with wembley etc.

At home watching it on iFollow I can post a lot more as I can type and watch at the same time.

Otis

I struggle to post at games. Don't know how people do it (yes, you, SW88!)

I post usually pre match and half time and then when I get home.

Only time I seem to able to do it during the game is if there is a break in play.

bringbackrattles

Only time I seem to able to do it during the game is if there is a break in play.
My mate at games has put bets on and checked his bets while the action is going on. Another I've seen playing games, does my head in !

jimmyhillsfanclub

Try & check my bets & other scores at HT but often forget and it stays in my pocket......

....unless I've gone as billy no mates for the game......in which case it means I've almost definitely driven & therefore will spend HT on me phone as a HT beer & a smoke is a no no....

Otis

My mate at games has put bets on and checked his bets while the action is going on. Another I've seen playing games, does my head in !
Bloke in front of me has bet on a horse race and then actually gone and watched the race, both while the City match has been ongoing.

Terry Gibson's perm

The last home game of the season against Morecambe I was watching the cricket from Edgbaston on my phone but it was either that or just go home

CJ_covblaze

The last home game of the season against Morecambe I was watching the cricket from Edgbaston on my phone but it was either that or just go home

Lee Burge was watching it. He nipped home at one point too.

Covstu

Same at gigs too. People seem more interested in recording things and getting likes than actually enjoying the moment. I rarely post on a match thread on here when I'm at the game as I'm too engrossed in what's going on.
my pat hate (and I think its on the annoy you thread!). When a great song comes on and you are struggling to see through a sea of arms with phones. Just enjoy the moment rather than recording the thing! Does anyone play these things back. Take a picture, fine but don't video the whole fucking thing!!

Reactions: vow

Covstu

same but to be honest not really fussed about it! A lot of people need a technology detox!

rob9872

I'm guilty of often checking how my fixed odds betting is going.

ajsccfc

I don't mind it to a degree, football is never non-stop action so having a quick check on your phone is about the same as leafing through a programme really. At the Notts County home leg though there were two guys stood the entire time in the aisle both blocking people getting to the stairs and the view of others, the entire time either shouting on the phone or taking selfies and live streaming themselves. Fuck them.

wingy

I don't mind it to a degree, football is never non-stop action so having a quick check on your phone is about the same as leafing through a programme really. At the Notts County home leg though there were two guys stood the entire time in the aisle both blocking people getting to the stairs and the view of others, the entire time either shouting on the phone or taking selfies and live streaming themselves. Fuck them.
Groundhoppers? ?

Nick

Administrator
Groundhoppers? ?

Are they the knobs who just go to random games to film themselves and talk shit? They should be banned from all football matches. Passports taken away for international games as well.

Nick

Administrator
I like em! !:p

It's the whole generation of people filming themselves thinking they are pundits, it's as annoying as Sunday League teams trying to pretend they are in the Premier league teams when they announce signings.

Otis

It's the whole generation of people filming themselves thinking they are pundits, it's as annoying as Sunday League teams trying to pretend they are in the Premier league teams when they announce signings.
All the kids are doing it. All doing reviews and vlogs and all thinking they are unique and all thinking they have something important to say even though they are all saying the same thing.

My daughter started to dabble for a bit and I had to be honest with her when she showed me videos.

They were quite good, but I actually said she wasn't doing anything unique and told her it's fine to do it, but try and be a bit different, don't just copy others and put your own slant on things.

She pretty much stopped there and then when she could see she was just following the crowd. Think she honestly believed she was being unique, but there's millions of them all doing the exact same thing.

bringbackrattles

All the kids are doing it. All doing reviews and vlogs and all thinking they are unique and all thinking they have something important to say even though they are all saying the same thing.

My daughter started to dabble for a bit and I had to be honest with her when she showed me videos.

They were quite good, but I actually said she wasn't doing anything unique and told her it's fine to do it, but try and be a bit different, don't just copy others and put your own slant on things.

She pretty much stopped there and then when she could see she was just following the crowd. Think she honestly believed she was being unique, but there's millions of them all doing the exact same thing.
Since the Internet and social media has grown that has meant so many people are all doing the same things, and thousands are all going after one goal at the same time, but only a minority get success. Take football writing for an example, I've been writing articles,blogs, and reports for several years, but for non payment and just as a passionate fan. To get financial gain its hard and only a few get paid, the rest of us just carry on for the love of it. An editor of a magazine I write for says he'd love to pay me but can't, and all I get is a free issue as I get articles featured. But years ago they paid well I heard for articles, but since the rise of the Internet they don't need to.

Otis

Since the Internet and social media has grown that has meant so many people are all doing the same things, and thousands are all going after one goal at the same time, but only a minority get success. Take football writing for an example, I've been writing articles,blogs, and reports for several years, but for non payment and just as a passionate fan. To get financial gain its hard and only a few get paid, the rest of us just carry on for the love of it. An editor of a magazine I write for says he'd love to pay me but can't, and all I get is a free issue as I get articles featured. But years ago they paid well I heard for articles, but since the rise of the Internet they don't need to.
Yeah, it's all become saturated. There is still an opportunity to be unique with some things to a degree.

The kids all do beauty reviews, but all do the same thing. They hold the product to the camera, twirl the product and zoom in and out on the product.

Doesn't take much to be just a little bit different.

When I was little we wanted to be the next Beatles and would listen and sing along to their songs and try and learn the harmonies.

I had a band at 11, but it was distinctly my own sound (a very bad sound, but my own sound none the less).

You have to put your own stamp on things, whatever you do.

bringbackrattles

Yeah, it's all become saturated. There is still an opportunity to be unique with some things to a degree.

The kids all do beauty reviews, but all do the same thing. They hold the product to the camera, twirl the product and zoom in and out on the product.

Doesn't take much to be just a little bit different.

When I was little we wanted to be the next Beatles and would listen and sing along to their songs and try and learn the harmonies.

I had a band at 11, but it was distinctly my own sound (a very bad sound, but my own sound none the less).

You have to put your own stamp on things, whatever you do.
I've always been amazed at how some people get on in a chosen profession, while others miss out. You see or hear about someone doing well while others struggle etc, when the talent is about equal.
I'm currently reading a little book by JK Rowling, she basically tells how she got rejection after rejection, but persevered and says not to give up. While some writers artists get accepted first time, but with less talent. A fellow writer who writes on football told me that when he wrote for a Wolverhampton newspaper, he wasn't a big Wolves fan and couldn't get motivated to go to every home game, as they were crap then, so he got a mate who went to every match to send him an email after the matches describing key moments etc, and he'd type it up and get paid for the article. To me that's wrong but he thought why not ? So he got on well by basically bluffing !

tisza

whole mobile camera/video bewilders me. so many times serious incidents etc. and people whip out their mobiles to video it rather than helping.
The Manchester bombing was one that springs to mind - how many people hung about videoing it for their media pages rather than either getting out safely or helping others.

Otis

whole mobile camera/video bewilders me. so many times serious incidents etc. and people whip out their mobiles to video it rather than helping.
The Manchester bombing was one that springs to mind - how many people hung about videoing it for their media pages rather than either getting out safely or helping others.
Indeed and for me it is quite the opposite.

If I see an incident it's the very last thing on my mind and that can of course prove to be a bad if it's concerning an incident where evidence may well be needed.

My immediate thought is can I help, not how quickly I can get the footage up on Facebook.

Covstu

Indeed and for me it is quite the opposite.

If I see an incident it's the very last thing on my mind and that can of course prove to be a bad if it's concerning an incident where evidence may well be needed.

My immediate thought is can I help, not how quickly I can get the footage up on Facebook.
The social VAR?

Users who are viewing this thread