Most beautiful own goal ever....vs. CCFC 1991 (1 Viewer)

rob9872

I think a certain one in 1987 may have been a little better? :)

Marty

anybody remember the sliced effort from Noel Whelan at Middlesborough now that was a beaut of an own goal.

rob9872

Nah at work so can't use YT, but if you google 1987 FA cup final I'm sure you'll find it :)

Ernie Machin

Just watched it - said it was an early own goal?

I could have sworn we won that game 2-1 in the last minute. Will have to check this.

egastap

Nah at work so can't use YT, but if you google 1987 FA cup final I'm sure you'll find it :)

Oh. You mean THAT one? Well indeed it did FCCC some good, didn't it? That was unfortunate for the player involved, whereas this one was a delicately placed back-pass to his keeper that went a bit awry.

TheRoyalScam

Just watched it - said it was an early own goal?

I could have sworn we won that game 2-1 in the last minute. Will have to check this.

I think Peter Ndlovu scored the second, and the Arse scored a late consolation goal.

rob9872

The German one was funny. Sure as hell wiped the smile off his face, didn't it?

Yeah = quality. Still celebrating when he realised, although tbf not the only one to blame. Someone should have shouted him, stood in front of the ball, remained in the opposing half despite his poor concentration.

egastap

Yeah = quality. Still celebrating when he realised, although tbf not the only one to blame. Someone should have shouted him, stood in front of the ball, remained in the opposing half despite his poor concentration.

Wouldn't have happened in my u-14 boys team I coach.

rob9872

I hope you teach em the old basics that my dad taught me: the ball or the man but never both can pass :) I think they have a more cultured learning process these days

egastap

I hope you teach em the old basics that my dad taught me: the ball or the man but never both can pass :) I think they have a more cultured learning process these days

Yeah some of the 'old' basics (England style), but a lot more of the 'ball skills' nowadays (South American style). It used to be, as a defender, stop the player and/or the ball....then make a long pass to the forwards. Now it's PLAY the ball to another team member within 15 -20 yards. The game is changing a bit, isn't it?

rob9872

Even a long pass to the forwards wasn't always desired. Just hoof it (Aidy style) was more the call. In fact on park pitches, kicking it a long way out for a throw in gave everyone a breather whilst someone went to retrieve it :)

It is actually much better. I saw some kids recently playing it along the back four which was nice, although you need to trust the pitches as some of the ones we played on, chad a habit of making you look hopeless as it bobbled (and I didn't need any help in the looking hopeless department).

egastap

Even a long pass to the forwards wasn't always desired. Just hoof it (Aidy style) was more the call. In fact on park pitches, kicking it a long way out for a throw in gave everyone a breather whilst someone went to retrieve it :)

It is actually much better. I saw some kids recently playing it along the back four which was nice, although you need to trust the pitches as some of the ones we played on, chad a habit of making you look hopeless as it bobbled (and I didn't need any help in the looking hopeless department).

Yeah, know what you mean. I've got my own collection of faux pas memories. Best own goal I ever had was playing for Coventry Gauge and Tool against Bulkington. From a corner I let loose in trying to clear it from the edge of the penalty box. Just sliced it but went like a rocket into the top corner of our net. Jesus! In my day we even had the 'lace' area of the ball which could make it bobble on a decent pitch. A bitch to head when it got soaking wet as well.

Still, it's good to see the young kids trying to play the game without the Hoofroyd tactics isn't it?

rob9872

Absolutely yep totally agree.

My mate scored a blinding header of an own goal for us. Like you he rose above everyone from a corner and with a clear concise shout of "Jason's ball" he buried it in the top corner - gave the keeper no chance. He was constantly reminded of it for about the next 10 years everytime he uttered those words.

Users who are viewing this thread