Most frustrated you've ever been (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Daz

Years ago I applied for a job I'd unofficially been doing for about 18 months, the job would have been a £3.000 a year pay rise
Long story short I'd helped members of society who were self harming, suicidal suffering with depression to find and develop coping strategies
I had even helped a potential colleague who was having difficulty developing working relationships with people on his caseload
Anyway a job come up I applied and was told out of 43 applicants my application was head and shoulders above the others
I had a mock interview which I sailed through and then had the proper interview which I thought I did incredibly well in
Any way I never got the job they gave it to an external candidate
I had a feed back meeting in which I was told that the other guy answered a question slightly better then me (fair enough)
I then asked had he developed the working relationship I had with some of the service users and other staff
They said next time a position comes up I should reapply
So a year down the line I had done a teaching qualification a job come up so I applied and remember my application form was "head and shoulders " above 43 applicants I added the teaching qualification to my original form and I never even got an interview
I have never got over this, most pissed off I've ever been
I genuinely think the manager of the department was concerned for their job once I got established

Otis

No problem, Daz. Sometimes it's just nice to let off steam isn't it.

I've had similar in the past. One in particular where at the interview I was given really hard and difficult questions that no-one else was given.

stupot07

That's shitty Daz.I think you're right to be still pissed off. And feel free to rant

I do recruitment now and then and I get frustrated in ny organisation that it is all down the scoring of the interview, because you should also be taking into account continuity of service and existing relationships (for internal candidates) but also will they fit with the team, have they fit capacity to learn quickly, etc. And sometimes great people don't interview well when someone not quite right is just really good at researching and blagging and spin you a yarn. There should be more flexibility to get the right Pierson for the right job.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Daz

Cheers lads

It was a hard time professionally as everyone I worked with was convinced the job was mine
Obviously felt a right twat for a while

Covstu

Sadly the bulk of it is down to the perception of that person even prior to the interview. It looks like no matter how hard you tried in that interview you were never going to get it unfortunately

NorthernWisdom

That's shitty Daz.I think you're right to be still pissed off. And feel free to rant

I do recruitment now and then and I get frustrated in ny organisation that it is all down the scoring of the interview, because you should also be taking into account continuity of service and existing relationships (for internal candidates) but also will they fit with the team, have they fit capacity to learn quickly, etc. And sometimes great people don't interview well when someone not quite right is just really good at researching and blagging and spin you a yarn. There should be more flexibility to get the right Pierson for the right job.

Yup, I'm shit at interviews and stock phrases. Never big up whatever I'vedone either, whereas some seem to turn a spot of photocopying into running the company!

If you do recruitment... gizza job ;)

dancers lance

I worked my way up in a company from putting little boxes into big boxes to middle management, when my manager was promoted I was basically a shoe in for his job, even he said I was the only person that he wanted to take it over. I had they interview, which went fantastic and I was basically told to start clearing any outstanding work ready to start my new role. A week later I was called into a meeting and told that I was not going to be offered the job as they had given it to someone else. They had given it to a manager from another department that was being moved to head office and all of the staff were being made redundant, as the other guy was going to retire in 2 years they didn't want to pay the redundancy so handed him the job without interview. I carried on working in my role for about another 3 months with this guy who new nothing about the role and was using me to do it for him, until I resigned, looking back I wish I had done more about it, but at the time I was so pissed off I just wanted out.

Last edited:

dancers lance

And for you Daz, I am now self employed and I could never go back to working for a big company again, I wouldn't be able to put up with the bullshit, back stabbing and office politics.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Yeah it's the empire building and falseness
I tend lone work now in a job I truly love (the nightshifts can be hard) but it's part of the job and money is better

Nick

Administrator
I've had jobs like that, where the politics seems to be more important than the actual work!

Users who are viewing this thread