New computer (1 Viewer)

pipkin73

HELP! i've been using the same pc for about 3 years.
I need to upgrade with English windows (told that with windows 7 you can change language (can anyone ok this)) (i live in Gran Canaria Spain).
I require a minimum of 6 GB Memory
Anyone know a good PC with the above available for a good price.
It has to be posted from the UK to Gran Canaria so postage counts.
1st post on here, sorry it's asking for advise instead of joining in with the CCFC chat.
Big Cov fan, moved abroad 5 yrs ago and still love the club. Need to rein it in, as lots of Forest fans here and i owe them 20€ each, as i bet we would finnish above them.

derbyskyblue

Alright pippers, you found a new home as well then. 6GB...i would have thought you would need 20GB mate. See you in may 18th-25th.

pipkin73

Looking forward to it Derby. Brought a new PC now from ebay 24 gigs ram, 2TB hard drive 3D graphics card with 2 gig memory on board, Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz Over-clocked to 3.8GHz. Can't wait to try it out :)

pipkin73

No not a server but i deal with large graphic files on a daily basis and get fed up with waiting for them to process before going to print or breaking down the quality of the print. Large hard drive was required as i have lots of clients and have to keep all the designs for future use. This PC is way above what i required but better to have to much spec than not enough.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
I must admit, the HDD I have now is 2TB but I just have it partitioned and then replicating to a USB HDD and Dropbox while I am asleep at night to keep all of my work backed up.

I wish I did have that much memory though. 4gb is how I roll for the time being...

dutchman

No not a server but i deal with large graphic files on a daily basis and get fed up with waiting for them to process before going to print or breaking down the quality of the print.

Purely out of curiosity, just how large? I design stuff for a paysite and have never come across that problem. The .psd files are typically 20-40MB but the output to the printer more like a tenth of that.

Large hard drive was required as i have lots of clients and have to keep all the designs for future use.

I understand that but I sincerely hope you don't keep your operating system on it as well because if it goes, your designs will go with it.

Nick

Administrator
I have done a few designs for the side of vans and they were about 250 / 300mb in total, I wouldn't have fancied trying to print that as that was compressed as well...

pipkin73

Some of the designs can be upto 1.5ish gigs in size. Imagine processing that and then finding out that the design has broke down. I also use an automatic external hard drive back-up so i am always covered incase of hard drive failure. I used to do as you suggested, small C: drive and large D: to store things on. Will probably do the same with this one once the new PC arrives. But thanks for the advice anyway.

dutchman

Externals are great. If one PC fails you can easily transfer all data to another PC :)

I also clone the system drive at regular intervals. There's nothing worse than having to reinstall every application, every update and every program setting after a hard drive crash :(

Wow! 24GB ram is truely huge. I run a mac with 3GB ram with Adobe Creative Suite 4. I often handle 50 page documents with large 300dpi images no problems. I also run an Acer T180 with 2Gb ram (bought in 2007 for less than £350) with the same software and it copes admirably. I added a large slave drive for data & dual booted with linux to unleash its true potential and jobs a good 'un.

Users who are viewing this thread