New Fifa Rule About Sock Tape (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Has anybody else seen this?

If you have different coloured tape to your socks to hold your socks / pads up you can be ordered off the pitch.

A bit petty :(

ajsccfc

It does make sense in that if you're playing in blue socks, you shouldn't cover them in white tape. To be honest if any player has to be ordered off after about the first week of the season they've only got their own stupidity to blame.

Nick

Administrator
It goes down to all leagues though.

We used to only have duct tape on a sunday morning :(

Rich

I saw this happen at the weekend. One of the Man City players I think. As soon as the game kicked off he was sent to the dugout to get the wrapping changed.

I'mARealWizard

These are very important considerations.

Forget about Stamp Out Racism, Respect The Ref...

Focus instead on the bigger issues.

ajsccfc

It's not like they're ignoring issues to focus on sock tape instead, it's a rule that's very easy to follow.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I used to use an elastic band or an old boot-lace! Big thick woollen socks worn with equally heavy boots! None of your namby-pamby stretch-elasticated sock nonsense for us!! We were tuff in them days! :)

the-football-boots-once-owned-by-sir-bobby-robson-and-which-are-now-up-for-auction-555301130.jpg

kg82

But, it IS a very petty rule! Have you ever looked at a tackle and wondered "who committed the foul there then" and realise which one it was because of taping on their socks?! I just feel it's a rule that 100% didn't need to be implemented, just an over the top officious ruling.

ajsccfc

I'm surprised it took them this long, what with removing a shirt after scoring a goal being an offence for years.

16.5 subsection B - goals must NOT be enjoyed, [player] must prevent adrenaline from taking over when celebrating a goal. Also, shave those sideburns

Houchens Head

I have to agree kg82. It's a stoopid rule! Just like being booked for removing you top in excitement after scoring a goal. That is just NOT a bookable offence in my eyes. It's bureaucracy gone mad!

kg82

I'm surprised it took them this long, what with removing a shirt after scoring a goal being an offence for years.

16.5 subsection B - goals must NOT be enjoyed, [player] must prevent adrenaline from taking over when celebrating a goal. Also, shave those sideburns

Very very true! Mind you, I found out that in La Liga if you handball it, even if it is accidental and you cannot do anything about it, it is an automatic yellow card!

ajsccfc

One rule thing I saw is that in France and (I think) Germany over the weekend, the referees called a temporary halt in proceedings halfway through each half for players to drink water. Not by UEFA mandate, they just all agreed that it's sensible to do in a heatwave. Common sense isn't completely dead in football after all!

Nick

Administrator
One rule thing I saw is that in France and (I think) Germany over the weekend, the referees called a temporary halt in proceedings halfway through each half for players to drink water. Not by UEFA mandate, they just all agreed that it's sensible to do in a heatwave. Common sense isn't completely dead in football after all!

I guess that depends on the referee having common sense. How annoyed would you be if you wanted to take a quick free kick or throw in to get a goal but they stopped the game for a drink ha! :(

Houchens Head

I seem to remember back in 1994 during the World Cup. There was a heatwave at the time. Eire were playing someone or other (might have been Brazil) and during a very short minute or so while someone was being treated for an injury, the other players came to the touchline to get a drink of water. The ref threatened to book them! Jack Charlton (manager) was going mental! I think it may have been after this that players were allowed to take on fluids during a lull in play. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

Edit: Just checked. It was against Holland. (The ref was Danish! Surprise, surprise! Neighbours!) It was the Citrus Bowl, in Orlando, Florida

Last edited:

I'mARealWizard

I seem to remember back in 1994 during the World Cup. There was a heatwave at the time. Eire were playing someone or other (might have been Brazil) and during a very short minute or so while someone was being treated for an injury, the other players came to the touchline to get a drink of water. The ref threatened to book them! Jack Charlton (manager) was going mental! I think it may have been after this that players were allowed to take on fluids during a lull in play. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

Edit: Just checked. It was against Holland. (The ref was Danish! Surprise, surprise! Neighbours!) It was the Citrus Bowl, in Orlando, Florida

I remember this! It happened for quite a few european teams I think?

Houchens Head

I remember flying into Cork Airport to visit family a couple of years later and there in the huge concourse was a statue of Jackie Charlton! Paddies loved him!

ccfcway

Being booked for removing you top in excitement after scoring a goal. That is just NOT a bookable offence in my eyes. It's bureaucracy gone mad!

or, how about this, just dont take your top off !!

When i make a sale at work, i dont take off my shirt and run around the office with it, nor do i lift it up to unvail a handwritten t-shirt saying "happy 87th birthday grandma"

if your gonna start taking stuff off when you score, at least do it properly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlqCCDh9XT0

kg82

or, how about this, just dont take your top off !!

When i make a sale at work, i dont take off my shirt and run around the office with it, nor do i lift it up to unvail a handwritten t-shirt saying "happy 87th birthday grandma"

if your gonna start taking stuff off when you score, at least do it properly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlqCCDh9XT0

Making a sale or scoring a goal? Not comparable! Scoring a goal has always been likened to having sex and, most of the time, tops are off with that!

Users who are viewing this thread