New laptop (1 Viewer)

Adge

So looking for some free anti-virus software instead of all the usual subscription for 12 months cobblers. Also-is there a way of getting Microsoft office etc without again a subscription?

nicksar

So looking for some free anti-virus software instead of all the usual subscription for 12 months cobblers. Also-is there a way of getting Microsoft office etc without again a subscription?
I use Bitdefender free version and it's pretty good...I don't use office type software very often but have Libre office free download to open xls files and spreadsheets etc.

Adge

If it's a Windows laptop I'd just stick with the built-in AV, it's unobtrusive and works well
Yes it’s a windows (11) laptop. Does that mean then there is already AV incorporated? I haven’t set it up yet (will do over the weekend) but it f that’s the case why do they try and flog you McAfee at every opportunity? 🤔

ajsccfc

Yes it’s a windows (11) laptop. Does that mean then there is already AV incorporated? I haven’t set it up yet (will do over the weekend) but it f that’s the case why do they try and flog you McAfee at every opportunity? 🤔

I imagine Mcafee is just one of the bloatware apps you get pre-installed with brand new laptops so I'd just remove it entirely, windows defender will automatically take over, and apart from prompting you to run a scan every so often you won't be bothered by endless popups or subscription prompts or anything like that.

Details of it are here but basically you're already covered for virus protection out of the box so you don't need to install or pay for anything else - Windows Security: System Guard, Antivirus & More for Windows 11 | Microsoft

Malwarebytes is good as an additional level of coverage also, the free version acts as a manual scan you can run whenever you want

Nick

Administrator
Just about the money, it's a con

RegTheDonk

Been using AVG for a few years. Downgraded to the free version about 6 months ago and it still seems to block dodgy URLs.

Adge

I use Bitdefender free version and it's pretty good...I don't use office type software very often but have Libre office free download to open xls files and spreadsheets etc.
👍

I run Malwarebytes from time to time to check out is doing what it claims and so far no issues.

Also 👍 to Libre Office
Does Libre office enable you to edit excell spreadsheets etc or just read?
It says £3-79 to buy or there is easy suite too?

Attachments

• IMG_2779.jpeg
    IMG_2779.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7

Users who are viewing this thread