North based Sky Blues fans? (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueRuffian

I've noticed there's a few of you northern based Cov fans on here, so was wondering if any of you's would be up for tagging along to away matches based up here (not many this season)?? and even away games further afield if up for it.

Let me know cheers

Astute

Up north is a big place :smuggrin:

Junction 36 of the M6...south lakes turning and then approx another 40 minutes for me. Always happy to give someone a lift as long as not in 2 seater car.

The Reverend Skyblue

Its a big problem when you move away from the Coventry area that you no longer have fellow Skyblues around you. I was born and brought up in the Banbury area that has loads of Cov fans back in the pre 2000 when I lived there but as soon as you move away you lose touch with those groups, which is natural.
A lot of them were oldish then so lots have passed away, plus the Northampton fiasco most left now don't go.
Went to live in France and now back in Norfolk where every fucker either supports Norwich or Ipswich, which is great as you should support your local side.but very few desperate masochist's who support Cov
Someone should come up with a footballing app where you go on and say id like to go to this particular game but have no one to go with who supports Cov for example, each club having there own site sort of thing, so others could see who might be in the same boat who live near to you, so you could hook up and go together or in groups.
With the big clubs their fans are everywhere, but for clubs like Cov the few get more spread out as we age as people move away from their birthplaces so is a problem.
It is great to go to a game with someone who is equally mad enough to support Cov, you can help each other through the mental anguish

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Its a big problem when you move away from the Coventry area that you no longer have fellow Skyblues around you. I was born and brought up in the Banbury area that has loads of Cov fans back in the pre 2000 when I lived there but as soon as you move away you lose touch with those groups, which is natural.
A lot of them were oldish then so lots have passed away, plus the Northampton fiasco most left now don't go.
Went to live in France and now back in Norfolk where every fucker either supports Norwich or Ipswich, which is great as you should support your local side.but very few desperate masochist's who support Cov
Someone should come up with a footballing app where you go on and say id like to go to this particular game but have no one to go with who supports Cov for example, each club having there own site sort of thing, so others could see who might be in the same boat who live near to you, so you could hook up and go together or in groups.
With the big clubs their fans are everywhere, but for clubs like Cov the few get more spread out as we age as people move away from their birthplaces so is a problem.
It is great to go to a game who is mad enough to support Cov, you can help each other through the mental anguish

Mate you are way behind, just download an app called Grindr and say you are open minded and want a bit of fun in Coventry. There will be loads of interest ;)

On a serious note, I think there are a fair few on here in different locations. I'm happy to put a "location" field for people to put their location if people think it's a good idea?

oucho

Depends what you define as "the North" - the generally accepted definition is the combined area covered by the counties of Cheshire, Lancashire, Cumbria, Yorkshire, Durham and Northumbria (plus all the cities within these like Newcastle, Manchester, Liverpool, Hull etc).

I've heard people say that paces like Stoke, Scunthorpe, Chesterfield, Nottingham etc are in the north - no, they're in the Midlands.

The Reverend Skyblue

I have heard of grindr but thankfully being married never had to use it. Wouldn't have thought you needed grindr in Cov to tell you the truth, bit like Banbury back in the days, you knew some places, bars/discos, that you were guaranteed to get laid, just don't open your eyes in the morning because it was absolutely certain she's not going to look nothing like the beauty you thought she was after your tenth pint last night

what about my app idea, brilliant eh

SkyBlueRuffian

I'm on the edge of Manchester, so there's a few games I could possibly do, Crewe, Accrington, Port Vale, Chesterfield, Mansfield, Morecombe, Carlisle, Notts County (more than I thought actually)!

Nick

Administrator
I have heard of grindr but thankfully being married never had to use it. Wouldn't have thought you needed grindr in Cov to tell you the truth, bit like Banbury back in the days, you knew some places, bars/discos, that you were guaranteed to get laid, just don't open your eyes in the morning because it was absolutely certain she's not going to look nothing like the beauty you thought she was after your tenth pint last night

No it's Grindr, so it's he ;)

Not a bad idea for an app to find people who support the same team and want to go to games. :)

oucho

Scunthorpe is north surely? It's more North than Sheffield.

Nah it's in Lincolnshire which is a Midlands county.

The Reverend Skyblue

so who wants to come in on my app idea as a 50+ man these things are well over my head. They will have to fund it and I will take all the profits, great proposition

Liquid Gold

I'm in Bristol. Would be good to have someone to chip in with petrol or me chip in with them as I'm a billy no mates this season.

SkyBlueRuffian

Sounds good, anyone know how to build an app?
In the meantime, could we not have a permanent thread on here or something????[/QUOTE]

oucho

It's still more north than Sheffield, which is Yorkshire which is northern :)

Indeed but the "north/midlands" divide isn't a straight line along a particular latitude - it follows the combined southern borders of the Southern-most Northern counties Cheshire (where it meets Wales near Whitchurch), Lancashire (including what is now Greater Manchester) and Yorkshire where the southern border is the north bank of the Humber out to the North Sea.

Lambo58

Yeah Im working in Leeds and would be up for going to away games

I've noticed there's a few of you northern based Cov fans on here, so was wondering if any of you's would be up for tagging along to away matches based up here (not many this season)?? and even away games further afield if up for it.

Let me know cheers

bawtryneal

From Bawtry as name suggests
We used to have M1 North club which we have discussed on here before. Great away days with about 10 of us.
If anybody wants a lift to a game, home or away, just message me and they will be more than welcome.

ovduk78

We should meet for a kick about

NW v SW
NE v SE
Rest of Cov V Earlsdon
We might be able to cobble a team together from North of the border as well, if not we'll have to include members from Wales & Ireland too & have a Rest of British Isles team

oucho

It would be a nice idea to have a "Coventry City Northern Supporters Club".

With the London Supporters Club, now 40 years old and still with an active membership of 80+, the concept works well. Many of the members live all over the south east including Upminster, Hornchurch, Tonbridge, Brighton, Shoreham-by-Sea, Hertfordshire, Staines, Newbury and all sorts of places around London from Leyton to Tootingto Ealing to Croydon to Wandsworth (London is the size of a conty itself)......but it works well because central London is avery obvious default central meeting location and all the public transport is geared up not only for members to meet in central London, but for most members it easy to meet e.g. to Euston to travel together to Cov home games.

The same wouldn't be true of members scattered across the north - if you live in Leeds you'd probably just drive to a game, you're not going to share travel with someone from Manchester, for example. So the "Northern Supporters Club" concept doesn't really work as well, which is a shame.

Astute

Nah it's in Lincolnshire which is a Midlands county.
Scunny is in North Lincolnshire. It is Easterly. Skeggy is North East Lincolnshire. Is that also in the Midlands?

The Midlands is what it says. The land in the middle. Not on the coast. Lived near Scunny for years before I moved to where I am now.

oucho

Scunny is in North Lincolnshire. That's the unitary council. The area it covers falls within the historic county of Lincolnshire, the entirety of which is a Midlands county - therefore North Lincolnshire is Midlands.

It is Easterly. Yes, the East Midlands!

Skeggy is North East Lincolnshire. Is that also in the Midlands? Yes

Astute

So is Manchester in the Midlands as it is level with Lincolnshire?

oucho

So is Manchester in the Midlands as it is level with Lincolnshire?
See above

Indeed but the "north/midlands" divide isn't a straight line along a particular latitude - it follows the combined southern borders of the Southern-most Northern counties Cheshire (where it meets Wales near Whitchurch), Lancashire (including what is now Greater Manchester) and Yorkshire where the southern border is the north bank of the Humber out to the North Sea.

Don't mess with me, I'm a geographer by profession! :emoji_blush:

ceetee

As far as I am concerned, the North starts when I cross the Mersey / Ship Canal on the M6.

Not sure about M1 side of the country

oucho

Do we not have an east/west then. Just north/midlands/south

Correct - the only exception is East Anglia which isn't obviously midlands, north or south.

oucho

As far as I am concerned, the North starts when I cross the Mersey / Ship Canal on the M6.

Not sure about M1 side of the country
It's the old county border between Yorkshire (north) and Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire (Midlands)

Users who are viewing this thread