Once every 40 years, whats Platini on about ? (1 Viewer)

ccfcway

Michel Platini: Goal-line technology too costly for Champions League

Uefa president Michel Platini says goal-line technology is too expensive for use in the Champions League.

Platini, 57, said he would rather the money was spent on youth football.

"I prefer to put more money into youth football and infrastructure than spend it on technology when there's a goal in a blue moon that hasn't been seen by a referee," he said.

Platini added that he was happy with the five-man referee system, used in the Champions League and Europa League.

Fifa is set to use goal-line technology at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

Platini said the technology would need to be installed in 280 stadiums for European football, which the former France international sees as unnecessary.

"It would cost around 54 million euros (£46m) over five years for this technology, so it's quite expensive for the sort of mistake which happens once every 40 years," he said.

"In the Champions League, I'm very happy with the results (of a five-man team). Practically no mistakes have been made and the referees see practically everything that happens on the pitch."

Monkeyface

I agree with him fully, waste of money. Who's going to pay for Bedworth or Rugby to have it fitted, because if you've got it at the top, you should have it at the bottom.

Covstu

what a load of rubbish generally there is something every month or so in England alone never mind across Europe! This is pennies to the likes of the premier league!

There have been some dodgy incidents that the fifth man didn't see even though it was right infront on him!!

ccfcway

I agree with him fully, waste of money. Who's going to pay for Bedworth or Rugby to have it fitted, because if you've got it at the top, you should have it at the bottom.

cant remember seeing many "5 men teams" of referees at Bedworth or indeed at grass roots.

This is the next step forward. Billions is spent on football and for results in the showcase "world cup" to be incorrect (Lampards goal) due to not a lack of willingnes to use technology is crazy.

The major leagues / championships will always benefit fronm superior equipment compared to the bottom leagues. Look at the pitches for a start...

J

Jack Griffin

I read it as Platini establishing a position for more favourable negotiations about price.

theferret

Who says? They don't have Hawk-Eye at Bedworth Cricket Club, or on the Memorial Park tennis courts for that matter. Equally, video replays in Rugby only happen at the top level.

Nothing to say you could not install this on the international/European stage and then allow national leagues to install it if they wish.

ccfcway

I read it as Platini establishing a position for more favourable negotiations about price.

Does anyone know Platinis number ?. If so, text him Tim Fishers details...

He'll sort out a cracking deal, but he might need details on the food and beverage income from them

Monkeyface

cant remember seeing many "5 men teams" of referees at Bedworth or indeed at grass roots.

This is the next step forward. Billions is spent on football and for results in the showcase "world cup" to be incorrect (Lampards goal) due to not a lack of willingnes to use technology is crazy.

The major leagues / championships will always benefit fronm superior equipment compared to the bottom leagues. Look at the pitches for a start...

You're right, they don't have a five man team of officials at these games, doesn't make it right. There will have been games this season that were as important to Bedworth fans, as the Man Utd v Real match was to Utd fans, why should they not benefit in the same way? Its a fundamental law change, a whole new section would need to be added to the rule book on things like stoppages, who calls for a review, can a decision be contested.

As for the Lampard argument, we were shit, and wouldn't have made it count anyway.

The whole thing just smacks of further sterilization of the game, I know I'm in the minority on this, but I quite like arguing with fellow fans about dubious goals.

At what point do the MOTD guys start telling us that we need it to make judgment calls on offsides and whether the ball went out of play, because they will. And I don't get the 'they use it in Rugby and Tennis' argument either, football is far more appealing than those sports, they should be looking to our game to make there's more attractive, not the other way round.

Whole thing is BS as far as I'm concerned, but I guess they may as well do it, because the argument isn't going to go away. Just thing it'll be sad to see football dumbed down like that.

Miss_skyblue

Just a quick note on this...

I saw it being unveiled to referees at last years RA conference. We wouldn't need a new section of the rules because all that happens is when a goal is scored (whether its contested or not) the referee is wearing a watch which will flash up 'goal' and vibrate also. Pretty quick and simple and easy to implement if you ask me.

Yes it's expensive and therefore likely to be unavailable to lower league teams but its got to start somewhere hasn't it?

Noggin

why? do you have a 5 man professional referee system at bedworth?

edit - should have read the rest of the thread before posting, ccfcway had already made the exact same point.

SkyblueBazza

I have respect for little that comes out of FIFA/UEFA, but the basic principle of in this game you should be able to implement stuff at grass-roots level as well as top-level is quite admirable...but not realistic.
In local leagues there aren't enough people there often to have an extra two lino's to see if the ball has gone over the line (& bias may render it counter productive).
Where both organisations come into question is on their inconsistency - at grass-root level there is no 4th official to watch the watchers & keep time.
Even the FAs "Respect" campaign is pretty laughable. Visit pretty much any local league match & hear the abuse (without any comeback). It's simply political posturing. If the referees exercised some of the rules properly almost every game would have two or three or more sendings-off.
This money might well be better spent in improving local pitch quality instead.

Brighton Sky Blue

Technology has done wonders for tennis and cricket. Platini seems happy with his stupid 5 referee system (when we're already struggling to get enough officials of high quality anyway), which has actually got goalline decisions wrong this season. Hawkeye isn't as suited to football as there are fewer natural breaks in the game as there are after every point/ball in tennis and cricket-so the 'chip' idea would work better.

cyril

I've played at lower levels and these things are normally sorted out through honesty. Obv not gonna happen in top leagues cos of the importance

Users who are viewing this thread